Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Very low Fibre speed, need advice :)  (Read 1502 times)

Sunzz

Very low Fibre speed, need advice :)
« on: December 05, 2016, 10:07:23 PM »

hey everyone, sorry to bother you all but i honestly dont know what to do about my fibre broadband. here are some picture of bts adsl checker and my current line stats. Only a few weeks ago i had 50/6. im with plusnet on the 80/20 package which has been confirmed.

I honestly dont know what to do with such low speeds, iv had 2 bt engineer visits (2nd was today) but they both said everything is fine, we may be suffering from some crosstalk but thats it, iv recently been using the plusnet hub one but im now trying my old bt home hub 5 to see if things improve, i do have an old HG612 modem sitting upstairs so im wondering if i should use that? would it help monitor an issue? im so lost guys i need some wisdom lol

EDIT :it turns out I have the eci modem b-focus v-2fub/r rev b modem and not the hg612. Not sure if this is better or worse lol
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:43:40 PM by Sunzz »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Very low Fibre speed, need advice :)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 11:56:13 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

EDIT :it turns out I have the eci modem b-focus v-2fub/r rev b modem and not the hg612. Not sure if this is better or worse lol

That's unfortunate.  :(  A Huawei HG612 3B with the latest (unlocked) firmware would allow us to gain a better understanding as how your circuit is performing.

Your current DS (38.9 Mbps) is within the VDSL2 Range B (impacted) but your current US (1.7 Mbps) is woefully low . . .

Perhaps you could give us some idea of how your equipment is connected to the circuit. How many sockets; do you have a SSFP fitted; if yes, is the modem/router connected directly to it; does the line arrive as an aerial or as an underground feed; etc.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Sunzz

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 03:40:23 AM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

That's unfortunate.  :(  A Huawei HG612 3B with the latest (unlocked) firmware would allow us to gain a better understanding as how your circuit is performing.

Your current DS (38.9 Mbps) is within the VDSL2 Range B (impacted) but your current US (1.7 Mbps) is woefully low . . .

Perhaps you could give us some idea of how your equipment is connected to the circuit. How many sockets; do you have a SSFP fitted; if yes, is the modem/router connected directly to it; does the line arrive as an aerial or as an underground feed; etc.

opps sorry lol :P BT said our line was clean, no bridge taps or anything like that, no faults etc. We only have 1 master socket and no internal wiring, brand new split faceplate on there, the bt master socket 5c, internet in one and phone in the other. All the lines are underground.

As i mentioned above normally i just had the adsl cable from the master socket into the router, router into my pc and i was using the plusnet hub one, now iv decided to try my old bt home hub 5 instead to see if that helps some how, weird because the stats are slowing changing. On the plusnet hub one my noisemargin never changed between 5.5 and 6.5 .

They always stayed in between, yet now in this picture below they are 11.4 and 8.5, is that good or bad lol? the maximum data rate has gone from 1928 earlier to now 3669 on the upload. Sadly the sync is pretty much the same though. Debating if i should buy one of them modems to try track this problem tbh

Also my cabinet is ECI.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:12:55 AM by Sunzz »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 05:38:18 PM »

We only have 1 master socket and no internal wiring, brand new split faceplate on there, the bt master socket 5c, internet in one and phone in the other.

So no problems there.

. . . in this picture below they are 11.4 and 8.5, is that good or bad lol? the maximum data rate has gone from 1928 earlier to now 3669 on the upload. Sadly the sync is pretty much the same though.

Every circuit has a target SNRM defined. That usually is 6 dB, by default. What we can deduce from that image is at the time the modem synchronised with the DSLAM there must have been significant service affecting RF noise. As the devices established synchronism, they would have ensured that the target SNRM was met. That would imply a degraded synchronisation speed. At sometime later, the service affecting RF noise disappeared and, as a consequence, the observed SNRM increased. If the circuit was then retrained, the SNRM values would initially be seen as equivalent to the defined target SNRM, 6 dB and the synchronisation speed would increase.

Also my cabinet is ECI.

What can I say? I know . . . If you were offered a choice, chose a Huawei equipped cabinet.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.