Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How to set up IPv6 on ASUS routers - BT FTTP  (Read 3589 times)

WesBez7

How to set up IPv6 on ASUS routers - BT FTTP
« on: December 04, 2016, 04:34:06 PM »

Some help needed. Do anyone on the forum know how to set up IPv6 on ASUS routers. I'm on BT. Help would be much appreciated. I haven't been able to find the info here.

wj66

Re: How to set up IPv6 on ASUS routers - BT FTTP
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:14:51 PM »

Hi my settings for IPV6 with BT Broadband Asus AC88U Router, gets a score of 20 on IPV6 test.

Connection Type: Native
Interface: PPP
DHCP-PD: Enabled
Connect to DNS Server automatically: Disable
ipv6 DNS Server 1: 2001:4860:4860:8888
ipv6 DNS Server 2: 2001:4860:4860:8844
Enable Router Advertisement: Enable

John
Plusnet Broadband 40/10, Zyxel VMG8924-B10A, Synology RT2600ac, Synology Mesh, ECI Cabinet.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: How to set up IPv6 on ASUS routers - BT FTTP
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 05:55:53 PM »

As I'm sure you are aware, the settings are extremely ISP-dependent. If you know all the individual addresses, you can configure them directly in the router and do not need to rely on either PPP IPCP / IPv6CP or DHCPv6 or a mixture of both, but the various options are many, because, if the numbers are not known in advance, the dynamic information may be obtained by a mixture of these two protocols, and there's no knowing in general which of the possible methods are required.

However your router has obtained DNS server settings info, hand configuration being the easiest for a non-movable router, there are choices about how your router can publish info about DNS servers to the boxes on your network. Ask for help on this. (See the O option, and M option in router advertisements, also DHCPv6.)

IPv6 can be confusing because of the use of new names on occasion for functions that, despite radical improvements, could have simply kept the old names but with a v6 stuck on the end. ARP being renamed NDP, being one example. We will all get used to the new vastly improved protocols and zero config and the new terminology. (Although I do have to say that there are new security problems with IPv6 and its zeroconfig.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 05:59:05 PM by Weaver »