Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Which ISP  (Read 41527 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Which ISP
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2017, 08:52:34 PM »

There's no support for Broadcom DSL in OpenWRT, so it would be only functioning as a wireless router if it could be made to run OpenWRT.

So that's me told!  ;)  :D

Perhaps there is an alternative "alternative OS" for the hardware?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Roxy

« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2017, 05:32:06 PM »

Hey kids,

As eluded to previously in my query on cabinet locations, our relocation is coming up soon.

I caught up with BT via the 'complaints' department, whom helped shape a new deal for me after all our troubles.
The summary of that package is Infinity 2 at a slightly discounted rate, with our telephone features(also discounted) on a no contract arrangement.

When I move, they stated I can keep the same package/discounts however I have to sign into a twelve month contract for the phone and a three month contract for the broadband.

I queried why they cannot waive this policy in our case, and they retorted that the deal we were given was not indefinite. I do not understand that, since they never stated it had a certain longevity or shelf life to it. It sounds like a clever way to get me back into a contract.

Looking over our available local ISP options, the usuals are in our new area, to include Sky, Plusnet, TalkTalk, etc (sadly just of range for Virgin).

I'm also interested in changing our mobile service to Vodafone or EE (as Tesco mobile is bad in the new area). A company that could package landline, mobileand broadband would be good.

Price :
BT - our current deal
Sky - most expensive of the big ones from what I saw
Plusnet - least costly

Traffic management :
BT - None?
Sky - None
Plusnet - They state none?

Download usage limits:
BT - None
Sky - None
Plusnet - Cannot clarify

Contract duration(landline/broadband):
BT - Twelve/ Three
Sky - Twelve/ Twelve
Plusnet - Twelve/ Twelve

Easy of transfer/logistics:
BT - There was a line there previously. They state they only need to reactive the line and then send Openreach out to connect it at the cabinet. I suspect this means then no signup fee(?), just the new contract.
Sky - Normal activation fee applies, have to setup a new account and go through that entire process
Plusnet -  Normal activation fee applies, have to setup a new account and go through that entire process

So why do I want to leave BT if the deal I have is good?

+Cost might be less elsewhere
+I loathe BT offshore support
+I don't trust their no traffic management claims, particularly with P2P
+It's still BT Wholesale hardware

Reasons to stay with BT and avoid changing?

+Could be a headache signing with a new company and starting all over
+Their support may just as horrendous
+Speeds won't be any better as it's still BT Wholesale hardware.

So in short, until I go somewhere that no longer uses BT hardware, I'm stuck like everyone else forking cash over to the same tired old man. Though it's a toss up whether to deal with a different sales /support team instead.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:01:32 PM by Roxy »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »

Roxy people like me want a cheaper Broadband and Phone service after the current ISP contract has come to an end and if you look now most ISP's will have a minimum fee for 12/18 months and once the contract has finished you will have pay the full price.

So you have two options stay with current provider and pay more or change provider and pay less but don't select Vodafone as your choice of ISP.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:23:08 PM by NewtronStar »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »

When I came to the end of my BT contract a while ago I found that saying "Leaving BT" to their automated system got me through to the people who have rather more flexibility over what can be offered.
 ;)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »

Roxy plusnet have traffic management (prioritisation) but they dont apply fixed rate limits on their unlimited packages. 

Roxy

« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2017, 12:04:32 PM »

@Newtron

I will check to make sure if I switch that they don't up the cost after the initial contract period ends.

@tubaman

That would be helpful, if I wasn't already on a discounted package. The gentlemen I am dealing with has already stated he appreciates I am not happy about signing a new contract and would understand if I left BT altogether. That impresses upon me that there's nothing else they are willing to offer or bend on.

@Chrysalis

Thank you for that. I guess Sky and BT are the only main players that have no limit? I suspect there may be some reseller ISPs to look at.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »

Just an update EE BrightBox2 arrived today now have two of them the FTTC still showing as available at cabinet with 3 days to go the order can't go belly at this stage

Vodafone's modem/router is still unreliable this should be the last stats collected from the current state of my circuit banded downstream & upstream.

Code: [Select]
adsl info --stats
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 7259 Kbps, Downstream rate = 38159 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 4296 Kbps, Downstream rate = 27315 Kbps

Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 17a
TPS-TC:                 PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        7.6             10.4
Attn(dB):        24.7            0.0
Pwr(dBm):        11.2            5.0

VDSL2 framing
                        Bearer 0
MSGc:           18              64
B:              47              30
M:              1               1
T:              64              64
R:              16              10
S:              0.0517          0.1963
L:              9896            1671
D:              1251            168
I:              64              41
N:              64              41

Counters
                        Bearer 0
OHF:            436795          92475
OHFErr:         0               0
RS:             111743931               3822251
RSCorr:         162669          0
RSUnCorr:       0               0

Bearer 0
HEC:            0               0
OCD:            0               0
LCD:            0               0
Total Cells:    82413224                0
Data Cells:     3958            0
Drop Cells:     0
Bit Errors:     0               0

ES:             0               0
SES:            0               0
UAS:            18              18
AS:             1448

Bearer 0
INP:            8.00            4.00
INPRein:        0.00            0.00
delay:          16              8
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:55:20 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »

Just an update EE BrightBox2 arrived today now have two of them the FTTC still showing as available at cabinet with 3 days to go the order can't go belly at this stage

Just seventy five and a half hours (approximately) to go before the start of Tuesday.  :fingers:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Roxy

« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2017, 09:24:16 PM »

Just seventy five and a half hours (approximately) to go before the start of Tuesday.  :fingers:

Speaking of EE...are they particularly accurate with their postcode checker on https://broadband.ee.co.uk?
They give out an exact figure instead of a range like others. It shows my current address as having the 'guaranteed minimum' that you see on other sites. Maybe they play it safe?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:39:38 PM by Roxy »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2017, 10:46:23 PM »

EE are definitely playing the safe game, here is my estimate ->

We estimate that your line can support download speeds of between 17 Mb/sec and 42 Mb/sec, and upload speeds of between 3.9 Mb/sec and 7.7 Mb/sec.

As you have chosen our Standard Fibre Broadband service, the maximum speed you can expect to see will be up to 38 Mb/s even if your line can support a faster speed.
Your Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed will be 11.4 Mb/sec. they must be confused here as that would be for ADSL2+

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2017, 07:08:30 PM »

Hey kids,

As eluded to previously in my query on cabinet locations, our relocation is coming up soon.

I caught up with BT via the 'complaints' department, whom helped shape a new deal for me after all our troubles.
The summary of that package is Infinity 2 at a slightly discounted rate, with our telephone features(also discounted) on a no contract arrangement.

Thoughts?

It would help to know what prices you are currently on - especially as BT are currently offering existing customers deals as they can otherwise leave ATM due to pending price rises. However a few thoughts:

a) it might be cheaper to sign up as a new customer with BT once you've moved rather than migrate account (especially if you use a cash back website);
b) don't forget that BT now own EE so also offer BT branded sims via the EE network; and
c) Plusnet (also owned by BT) seems to have gone through some network/CS issues in the recent past.

Do you know what speeds you are able to achieve in your new property?

Roxy

« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2017, 08:23:56 PM »

It would help to know what prices you are currently on - especially as BT are currently offering existing customers deals as they can otherwise leave ATM due to pending price rises. However a few thoughts:

a) it might be cheaper to sign up as a new customer with BT once you've moved rather than migrate account (especially if you use a cash back website);
b) don't forget that BT now own EE so also offer BT branded sims via the EE network; and
c) Plusnet (also owned by BT) seems to have gone through some network/CS issues in the recent past.

Do you know what speeds you are able to achieve in your new property?

A) I did not see any cashback for BT, however I did with others
B) Ok thank you
C) Is that good or bad?

In the new place I am told it's 66-80mbps and if I am correct I am 113 meters as the crow flies to the cabinet.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2017, 09:41:14 PM »

a) https://www.topcashback.co.uk/bt-total-broadband/ and http://www.quidco.com/bt-broadband/ for example.
c) personally I would avoid Plusnet - I don't think they are as good currently as they used to be.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2017, 10:00:49 PM »

I checked my line on EE's estimator.

I agree they been very conservative on the guaranteed speed.  For me which is way below even the low impacted range on the BTw checker.

So right now I am synced at 71mbit but my snrm is below 6db.
Current attainable reported as 69mbit.
EE estimate 62.9mbit
EE guarantee 30mbit O_o (sky guaranteed me 56mbit and estimate of 68mbit. at time of order, so the gap between the 2 figures is way smaller). Sky also seem willing to not wait for it to get as low as 56mbit for it to be treated as a fault "If the speed is much lower than 68Mbps, please contact us"

I am curious which of the 2 figures EE will use for fault escalation.

The good news is the fault range based on this quote is above 30mbit, but its way below sky's 68mbit.

Fibre broadband: 62.9 Mb/sec download, 20.0 Mb/sec upload. We estimate that your line can support download speeds of between 45.9 Mb/sec and 80.0 Mb/sec, and upload speeds of between 15.0 Mb/sec and 20.0 Mb/sec.
If you select a Fibre 38mb package, your broadband speed will be capped to 38Mb/sec
The speed range provided is only an estimate. Speed is impacted by a variety of factors such as number of people using the network, location from the exchange and our traffic management policy. For more information about our traffic management policies please visit ee.co.uk/terms. If you receive speeds significantly below the range quoted to you, please contact us. Full details of your estimated line speed, how they may be affected and what you can do if you have any problems will be communicated to you via an email.

So if I joined EE I probably couldnt escalate a fault unless speed falls below 45.9mbit/sec.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:06:00 PM by Chrysalis »

Roxy

« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2017, 11:53:29 AM »

Ugh 'fault escalation' ya... as long as BTW have a strangle hold on things (and not the good Ted Nugent kind) then you can bet escalation only comes as a last resort.

@gt94

Ok thanks for the links and comment on plusnet.

Here is my latest bill with BT:

Line Rental £18.99
BT Privacy Caller Display £1.75
Calling Plan Unlimited Anytime Calls £5 (discounted from £8.50)
Broadband Unlimited BT Infinity 2 £26 (discounted from £35?)

Total rental and other charges £52.14
One off charges for activation and modem delivery, £29.99 Have asked if this can be waived since we're only doing a transfer

I went in and arranged a new and similar package with as close to what I already have now, and it comes out as

Line Rental £18.99
BT Privacy Caller Display 12 months offer £free (will rise to £1.75)
Calling Plan Unlimited Anytime Calls £5 (discounted from £8.50)
Broadband Unlimited BT Infinity 2 £26 (will rise to £35)

Total rental and other charges £53.49 (£64.24 after twelve months)
One off charges for activation and modem delivery, £29.99

Alternatively,
Sky £51.49 a month/18 months with £29.99 activation fee
Plusnet £46.49 a month/12 months(which raises to £54.47 after 12 months), with £29.99 activation fee
Origin £37.73 a month/18 months(which raises to £47.73 after 6 months), with no activation fee
EE £39 a month/18 months(which raises to £47.50 after 18 months)with £32 activation fee
Vodafone £38 a month/18 months, with £49 activation fee - interestingly, there is no line rental cost. The £38 is broadband(including VAT) only
John Lewis £40 a month/12 months(which raises to £48 after 12 months), no activation fee

Looks like my current deal is the best in the long run in that it will only carry 12 months contracted phone, three months contracted broadband, and not raise in price any further all while being only slightly more expensive than some of the other initially cheaper options.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 02:32:06 PM by Roxy »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

anything