Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Which ISP  (Read 41533 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Which ISP
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »

You make a good point BC - testing your circuit with another modem in these forums and also on ISP technical forums is an essential part of the diagnostics to rule out the modem being the culprit and for me and many others on Vodafone connect this avenue is blocked it's stupid and unhelpful even the OR Engineer said your not the first customer I've had using Vodafone with VDSL dropout complaints.

Do I ring Vodafone support to find out what the Engineer put on the notes to ISP or will they call me back to what was or not found ?

I am a bit of noob when it comes to ISP technical support as I've only needed to call once in 4 years and now have called 3 time and 4 chats in under 1 month  :doh:

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2017, 07:38:05 PM »

Cheers John for that helpful information the checker is showing FTTC as available and has always done so unless EE has got it wrong at there end and the FTTC is not full as they said.

I'm certain that if you have an active FTTC connection the checker will always shows that you have availability, you need to check an address/number that does not currently have an FTTC connection.

Which also begs the question if the ISP can see you already have an FTTC connection why can't they just take it over???
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2017, 07:55:16 PM »

. . . even the OR Engineer said your not the first customer I've had using Vodafone with VDSL dropout complaints.

Do I ring Vodafone support to find out what the Engineer put on the notes to ISP or will they call me back to what was or not found ?

I would be inclined to contact VF, to update them on the result of the Openreach technician's visit. Then the above comment, about other VF customers having dropout problems, could also be relayed back.

The next item to discuss is where in the VF domain does this problem originate, as the metallic pathway has now been ruled out? A very simple test would be to substitute a known, reliable modem/router for the HHG2500. But you will need the login credentials so as to establish a working connection . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2017, 08:41:52 PM »

Brilliant idea Ronski would never have thought about that so tried two neighbors between me and I know for sure one of them does not have any broadband and the results show as FTTC available

Will do BC just need a rest will give them a bell tomorrow still need to calm down after the OR visit but this one was not the grumpy type he was very knowledgeable and even understood what G.INP was 

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2017, 09:17:35 PM »

I'm certain that if you have an active FTTC connection the checker will always shows that you have availability, you need to check an address/number that does not currently have an FTTC connection.

Which also begs the question if the ISP can see you already have an FTTC connection why can't they just take it over???
I believe that to be incorrect. No idea with a number check, but the address checker will show "waiting list" if the cabinet is full, even if you have FTTC. That's certainly what my line has always done.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2017, 08:21:58 PM »

Vodafone sent me a replacement HHG2500 to see if this would stop the VDSL disconnects unfortunately that made no difference and still getting 4 to 8 disconnects per day, noticed sync increased yesterday on the UPstream and G.INP has been applied normally that only happens when a line becomes unstable.

Another tech2 call expected tomorrow from VF so we have had an OR engineer who passed the line as good and a second CPE modem router for testing and after 11 requests they won't give me the username & password to test a third party modem on my line  :wall:

just going to post some stats from the Billion sorry there is not much duration to go on but VF will be monitoring these random disconnects  ::)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »

I believe that to be incorrect. No idea with a number check, but the address checker will show "waiting list" if the cabinet is full, even if you have FTTC. That's certainly what my line has always done.

Number check shows as available (so long as the number has fttc already),  and address check is as John says. I confirmed this on my line yesterday.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2017, 12:13:12 AM »

Nearly sure we shall be walking away from Vodafone so here we go again which ISP MK2 this time I am going to leave this to the members to decide but must keep it realistic

Here is what I am considering

Plusnet
Origin
EE

or any other apart from AA or SKY TT and BT

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2017, 12:44:46 AM »

Considering that your telephony serving exchange (NIHB) is classified as "Market 1" and does not have any LLU presence but your head-end exchange for a G.993.2 service (NIBA) is classified as "Market 3" you probably will experience the elevated price scenario with Plusnet. Also the Plusnet service has gone downhill over the last year and a half, from reading the comments of their customers. So I would rule out Plusnet.

Origin are still a bit of an unknown, to me. So "be cautious" would be my comment.

EE served you well . . .  ;)

A&A have been described as a "strange company run by a strange man" but if one can cope with the little eccentricities and the hefty price then they would be first on the list.

Sky. Murdock family. Enough said.

TalkTalk may or may not be available to you. It depends upon whether the service availability is based on the status of NIHB (no) or NIBA (yes). I've been with them for nearly ten years and have had no problems with their service.

BT Consumer . . . what could I say? Er . . .  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2017, 10:20:36 AM »

I've been with Plusnet for over 13 years,  but things certainly seem to have gone down hill recently. So I'm considering moving to IDNET when my new Huawei cabinet goes live.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »

Those are fair and honest comments from both of you and installed the Origin modem/router asus N300 for elderly friend that moved from BT to Origin.

My worry is the last time we tried to move away from VF somehow the cabinet was full but it shows as available and the big sticker on the fttc cabinet is still saying Fibre in this area  ???

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »

Make sure you do a full address check,  don't use your phone number.  It may of just required a new line card.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2017, 07:50:55 PM »

So did as you asked and inputted my full address to check and it shows as FTTC is still available

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:54:08 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2017, 12:04:16 AM »

i would migrate back to ee now and of course fight vf later about any financial penalty they may try to impose as ee was problem free for you

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2017, 08:41:30 AM »

Check it each day, if it stays available chances are they've increased capacity,  and you'll be ok moving.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12