Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Which ISP  (Read 41529 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: Which ISP
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2017, 12:48:54 PM »

I think the BTW checker is http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome    You may need to use a neighbor's phone number, who is not LLU'd,  to get a result.  Just be sure that the neighbor is on the same CAB as you.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2017, 06:08:04 PM »

Vodafone called to say engineer will arrive tomorrow 8am-1pm they are also concerned about drops on my line, but what can the engineer do in my case the line was rock steady with EE and with Billion 8800NL in place.

From the snippet of the log you showed, above, the problem is with the VF PPP session and higher software layers. There is nothing wrong with the physical infrastructure -- hence there is nothing for an "engineer" from VF (or an Openreach technician) to do.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2017, 07:23:26 PM »

I used to drop the PPPoE session on the 8800NL often but that never effected the FTTC connection but this HHG2500 when the PPPoE session drops out it takes down the FTTC connection as well seen as a new IP address and different Data rate on the DS & US.

As far as I know there are two types of drops PPPoE sessions which does not effect your VDSL connection you just don't have any internet access and a line drop which does effect your VDSL connection & no internet connection while the modem resyncs.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:29:57 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2017, 08:05:14 PM »

Newt you may have answered this which if you did I apologise.

But is there a reason you cannot run the vodafone router behind the billion in bridge mode or the hg612?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2017, 08:29:10 PM »

You can't bridge the HHG2500 to HG612 or 8800NL as the 2500 does not have a working WAN socket and yet there is one but covered up and also there is no option in the GUI firmware 2500 to select a bridging mode.

One point before engineers arrives tomorrow morning I don't want a DLM reset as the line is not in anyway banded it is working as it should with G.INP active should I tell him or her not to do a DLM reset ?   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:36:18 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2017, 08:45:09 PM »

I meant the other way round.

The HHG2500 would be the router, but the HG612/8800NL would be the modem.

I expect one of the LAN ports acts as a WAN port in that case, so it wont be labeled as WAN but would be a dual purpose port.

The should solve the dropouts as you would have a good modem in place.

if vodafone dont even let you use it behind a bridged modem then they are the most locked down isp in the UK as even BT and sky let you connect modem's.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:48:32 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2017, 08:58:04 PM »

I meant the other way round.
The HHG2500 would be the router, but the HG612/8800NL would be the modem.

I know what you meen but it is not possible the HHG2500 has no way to communicate with a modem on the outside but you can setup the HHG2500 as a modem and use say a RT-AC68U as the router with some changes on the HHG2500 settings but that is not what we want.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2017, 09:28:24 PM »

Not to worry Chry I can still stick in the DSL cable to 8800NL and gather the full FTTC stats when I want but without any PPPoE activity (no internet In or OUT) was even thinking about one of those dsl splitters one for 2500 and 8800NL but if memory serves me right that would cause a large bridge tap on both modems and cause my circuit to become very unstable  ;)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »

I think you should take burakkucat's advice and migrate back to EE even if it means adsl temporarily.  Although I know thats easy for me to say as I wouldnt have to use that connection.  But if you dealing with frequent cutouts affecting netflix etc. then the current VDSL isnt great anyway.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2017, 09:55:42 PM »

. . . was even thinking about one of those dsl splitters one for 2500 and 8800NL but if memory serves me right that would cause a large bridge tap on both modems and cause my circuit to become very unstable  ;)

It is impossible to have two modems connected to one circuit.  :no:  The DSLAM would get very confused and then sulk, by going mute!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2017, 10:24:11 PM »

But if you dealing with frequent cutouts affecting netflix etc. then the current VDSL isnt great anyway.

Sure I was watching a movie on Sky GO last week and had 3 disconnects halfway into the movie and said feck this then tried again the next day and two disconnects before the end of the movie it was not a great experience.

As I said if this ISP connection is not up to standard the contract will be nullified under consumer law and I can walk away from vodafone and find a suitable ISP if and when a port
becomes available.

I would like to give these guys at vodafone a chance to rectify this as you have seen jumping ships to many times comes at a cost, if the line passes the engineer test as I expect it will then the onus will be on Vodafone's side IE Modem/router or their Network  ;)

It is impossible to have two modems connected to one circuit.  :no:  The DSLAM would get very confused and then sulk, by going mute!

Was only thinking about it BC and I guess a sure way to feck my DLM profile
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:35:28 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2017, 10:46:28 PM »

And would you believe it the PPP session on the HHG2500 has been up for more than 24 hours have seen this happen before on many posts were the engineer is to visit a fault reported premises  :lol:

PPP session uptime 1 day, 1 hour and 8 minutes

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2017, 11:49:24 PM »

Does the BTw checker give you information about cabinet ports if so post the link here john.
just the http://www.dslchecker.bt.com site
as your Vodafone you'll need to use the address checker but it gives the exact same info you need.
WBC FTTC Availability date will show "waiting list" if no free ports, and "available" when an order can be placed.
If it's a full cabinet and 1 free port becomes available then I wouldn't wait till morning to call an ISP, I would instantly place the order with your new ISP of choice. You can always call later in the day and amend any order/barter for a better deal.

I only know of BT Retail using the waiting list. Plusnet used to but now no longer place customers on the waiting list. This means my very full cabinet (waiting for 2nd cab to go live) still becomes "available" occasionally. It's usually showing full again by lunchtime, sometimes much quicker. This has allowed me to migrate twice, and notify a neighbour they can place an order.

Tip: You can get BT Infinity 1 Unlimited for £29.99/month for the full 12 months by going via topcashback. It says new customers only, but only the cashback part is rejected if you have already been a customer. The cheaper contract terms can't be changed. After calling later the same day they dropped this to £27.99. No good if you're not interested in BT, but handy for situations like yours where only 1 port becomes free. BT's system appears to book it instantly. I tried on 2 occasions with another ISP and the order was cancelled both times due to the cabinet being full, despite the checker becoming available. The ISP informed me their online ordering system does not reserve the port in real-time.

Hopefully your cabinet becomes available and you can migrate to another VDSL2 service. Shocking that Vodafone would rather throw you away as a customer rather than let you use your own modem.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2017, 05:36:06 PM »

Cheers John for that helpful information the checker is showing FTTC as available and has always done so unless EE has got it wrong at there end and the FTTC is not full as they said.

Engineer arrived this morning was his first customer of the day 8:20am the line shows as excellent copper pairs on the JDSU balance was perfect no CRCs no crosstalk yet I will dispute this no need for a DLM reset all tests passed and took himself off to the cabinet to check if all was well at that end. 

EDIT: PS Vodafone have waived the connection fee of £49 for are trouble

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:48:20 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2017, 05:56:48 PM »

In a way, it is good news to have confirmation of what we already knew. That the metallic pathway is in good condition.  :)

Now VF will have to accept that the problem is within their own domain -- either the HHG2500 or their RAS. The former can be tested by substitution with a known workable device -- say a Billion 8800NL, as long as the login credentials are provided. ::)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

anything