Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Which ISP  (Read 41512 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Which ISP
« on: December 04, 2016, 01:52:44 AM »

Coming out of contract in 7 days with EE this is a hard choice and looking all over the place for a cheaper deal I don't need good ISP support and hopefully never will TT and SKY do not cover this area so they are out ZEN and AAISP are to expensive so they are out.

Just need landline with caller ID and FTTC broadband 40/10 no bells or whistles or TV packages looking to spend less than £30 a month including line rental

Can you offer advise

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Which ISP
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:16:10 AM »

Talktalk business any good?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 02:29:35 PM »

If you happy with EE why move?

If its the case that you always want new customer deals, you may be able to get a good retention deal out of them.

newt put your details in their checker

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/deals

£25 all in price.

keyap

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 02:39:32 PM »

Am with Origin and can't fault them (so far). Cost for the package you're looking for would be around £30.

They only have a small footprint but use other LLUs if you're outside their catchment area (mine's via Vodafone but the T&Cs are as per Origin's policy). If you contact them pre placing the order they will let you know who it would be so you can decide whether it's right for you and / or whether there are any advantages or disadvantages. TBH, using Vodafone's LLU was quite appealing to me however, I may have re-consider if they had quoted something else!

I quite liked the look of them as:-

No download limits
No fair usage policy
No traffic shaping
No blocked sites

We've made it known from the very beginning that we won't block websites or filter any content, unless obligated by law. For parents concerned about their children, there is plenty of free, easy-to-use software available which offers you a more reliable way to control what you see online than any service provider ever could.

For me, all the above is true - no change in speed at any time, irrespective of what I'm doing  ;) and nothing is blocked  ;) ;)

There's also no connection charge and you can also use your own modem/router. They sent me a ASUS DSL-N16 which had been preset up, however, they also included a summary with all the info needed to use my own equipment. I run a HG612 and ASUS RT-AC68U.

Happy to share more info if you need it as I queried numerous things with them, for example they will, at your request and assuming your line will support, change your profile  ::)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 02:43:49 PM by keyap »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 03:15:04 PM »

Have to say Vodafone is looking a appealing at that price, what about using your own modem are they still holding back from giving out username & password ?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 03:39:01 PM »

From what I've read on here it seems to depend on who you speak to in CS/Support.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 04:02:19 PM »

Thats not good then don't fancy haggling just to get the U & P  >:(
thanks Ronski i'll have a think about this.

And thank you keyap also checking out Origin as I type it never seems so straightforward when checking out ISP providers on the net.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 04:08:01 PM by NewtronStar »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 04:06:59 PM »

I see Keyap is using his own modem with his ISP Origin and Origin are supplying him with a Vodafone wholesale connection.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 04:22:41 PM »

Don't know Dray it seems contradictory as to why Vodafone ISP withholds the authentication details from customers and Origin ISP give it out freely even when using a Vodafone connection  ???

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 04:48:23 PM »

if origin do actually use vodafone wholesale then that seems a better choice, as they also waive the migration fee.  Although of course we dont know what their arrangements are for capacity etc.

keyap

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »

Origin use a variety of 'partners'. You'll need to contact them pre placing the order to check out which one they would use for you.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 05:24:36 PM »

Just noticed Chry when looking at keyap ISP provider Origin he does say " using Vodafone's LLU" now I know we don't have any LLU providers at my exchange so it's going to be re-sold BTw from vodafone though it does not change the price.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 05:42:56 PM »

Origin use a variety of 'partners'. You'll need to contact them pre placing the order to check out which one they would use for you.

Cheers keyap the list of ISP's has come down to two ISP VF & Origin and Origin is winning

keyap

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 06:03:57 PM »

Not a problem. I think that price is an introductory 6 month offer though. From memory, it increases by £10 on month 7.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 06:16:24 PM »

Not a problem. I think that price is an introductory 6 month offer though. From memory, it increases by £10 on month 7.

Ah, no thought that was the total cost per month term of 18 now it becomes £33.33 per month and EE is £39.46, i'll have to redo the maths again
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12