Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Which ISP  (Read 41517 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Which ISP
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 02:36:40 PM »

Don't know Dray it seems contradictory as to why Vodafone ISP withholds the authentication details from customers and Origin ISP give it out freely even when using a Vodafone connection  ???

Origin use various providers depending upon your location.  They use a combo of
1) Their own LLU for regions in Yorkshire.
2) Vodafone wholesale.   Note the wholesale, it is not the same as vodafone retail.  They still have direct contact with Openreach and have more config options over vodafone than the generic vodafone retail.    Exactly the same as how the ISP has more control with TalkTalk wholesale.. which isnt the same as TT residential packages.   However vodafone needs to be at your exchange.
3) Plusnet White Label.

i'll have to redo the maths again

The ISP compare should do the maths for you. 

However note I havent updated the latest BT xmas offers because I just havent had time... but I dont think youre interested in them anyhows. 
Forget that.  The new BT pricing doesnt apply until tomorrow so I cant change them yet. From a quick glance prices will be going up.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:58:25 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 03:47:42 PM »

@Kitz I  notice when using the ISP compare if you enter price range of £0 to £30 it shows prices over £30 total.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 06:22:30 PM »

Have contacted Vodafone 10 minutes ago they can do FTTC unlimited 40/10  £22.00 and Phone evening & weekend package for £4 with caller ID total cost £26 for 18 months = £468 +
one off activation charge of £49  :(

Still have to call customer service to get authentication details, can you not setup the 8800nl as modem and let the VF router do the authentication stuff ?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:12:51 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 06:32:09 PM »

Have you also asked Origin as to what they could provide for you?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »

no i am on the phone EE as i type an at the moment its going to be £32 per month they are seeing if they can match vodefone offer.

EDIT: just off the phone with EE the lowest they could go is £29
Now calling Origin they seems to very busy it been 10 minutes now  ???
EDIT: right Origin £26.82 for six months then £36.82 for rest of term
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:17:39 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 08:39:22 PM »

@Kitz I  notice when using the ISP compare if you enter price range of £0 to £30 it shows prices over £30 total.

Hmm.
It searches on the broadband price column, its possibly showing over £30 for those ISPs who yet arent following ASA's regulations that came in Oct  whereby the phone and broadband element should be combined into one price where possible.

If you click on the 'total button' it should order by total price...  and just having done that I see it does appear to be only Vispa and Uno, who arent yet doing this. 

I don't think I can get it to search for total by default as it then becomes overly complicated for those ISPs which offer standalone products.  All the maths are done as functions outside of that stored in the database.
I'll have a think :hmm:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 10:11:20 PM »

The new contract for BB & Phone has been signed via bank details it's another leap into the dark yet I know my BB line stats will hold up regardless of which ISP it falls to that is if I can still access the stats via a supported modem :-\

The third ISP under this FTTC service will be with Vodafone what can I say the price was right!

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 06:30:14 PM »

Have you also asked Origin as to what they could provide for you?  :-\

I would have a read here,

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/products/799.html

Before making your mind up.I was with them when South Yorkshire Digital Region folded a couple of years back, they left many users in a state of limbo.Always talk a good talk but when it comes to deliver...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 12:11:13 AM »

Interesting UB.   I checked out the reviews a couple of months ago and they were mostly good, not sure whats happened over the past month.

I'm aware of what happened with Digital Region.   Origin themselves were a bit in limbo when their main supplier went bust and I thought that once theyd got over that mess things were back on an even keel. :/
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 01:54:11 PM »

Interesting UB.   I checked out the reviews a couple of months ago and they were mostly good, not sure whats happened over the past month.

I'm aware of what happened with Digital Region.   Origin themselves were a bit in limbo when their main supplier went bust and I thought that once theyd got over that mess things were back on an even keel. :/

I got out before the closure date of DR but those that were talked into staying and being transferred over Origins new network were left without internet for ages.Origin had a lot of problems and were unable to deliver what they had promised.
I'm not sure if I would ever consider them again but I wouldn't rule them out.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 07:19:07 PM »

Vodafone details came in via post last Saturday and all looks ok apart from our telephone number is going to changed  ??? quickly called sales and a awaiting an email to say we can keep are old number this doe not give me much confidence as the switch over is next Monday.

This can I use own modem part is getting me down sales say yeah I think so and chat says no way it is impossible and others sources say you can't use a third party modem very confused and to make things worse I find out the VF router can't be used as bridge to 8800NL no settings available.

The other part of me says you have watched your line stats for to long now it's time to let go  :-[ but would like to have a choice

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 07:40:53 PM »

I don't get a particularly "happy feeling" about Vodafone as a CP, from what you have written.  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 07:53:52 PM »

when speaking to sales no mention of change of phone number here is part of the letter

"where possible we will also try to ensure that you keep your existing home phone number should you wish, unfortunately we can't offer this service for Virgin Media Customers - so please do let them know your leaving"

Now I am with EE and the Voice/Phone exchange is only with BT there is no VM or LLU here MR VF

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 09:54:45 PM »

had a look regarding the CPE situation but doesnt look good, it seems a few lucky customers managed to get the auth details but then vodafone put a stop to it.

Seems much stricter than sky who themselves have even admitted they know and allow 3rd party routers on their network (just wont support on faults), sky even removed the auth info requirement so no longer needed for successful DHCP auth.

Shame as otherwise vodafone looked a good bet.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:14:22 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 10:10:11 PM »

Indeed Chry have made a big mistake with this ISP but you know me I'll be using all my legal knowledge to get this overturned or will walk away from ISP T&C leaving me without any ISP or phone it's their loss not mine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12