Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT infinity ipv6-pd with netgear router  (Read 3525 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
BT infinity ipv6-pd with netgear router
« on: April 14, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »

Just thought I would post my recent experience of helping a family member who signed up for infinity 2 recently. He wanted to use his own router and modem solution rather than the hub. Having bought a netgear router which promoted its ipv6 support it was found the stock netgear firmware did not support BT requirements to make IPV6 work.  Digging deeper a fork of ddwrt was installed allowing dhcp with prefix and the router now has a valid ipv6 address on the wan port.

I know its probably not that important at the moment but who knows in time when it might be needed. Perhaps there will be a number of 3rd party routers that wont support BT's ipv6-pd but as of now are perfectly fine for IPV4. I imagine there will be a number of users totally unaware of this possible future requirement. Further reading on netgear forums showed they are not bringing in a patch either.. lucky ddwrt was able to help this time. Router model being used R7800

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: BT infinity ipv6-pd with netgear router
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 08:55:04 PM »

Thank you for documenting your findings. At some time in the future, it may help others in that situation.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 09:26:19 PM »

well I hope it helps. There seemed to be little information about it. I imagine there are loads of 3rd party routers being used purely on ipv4 at the moment.

Couple of screen shots might help along the way..

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »

Router model being used R7800

I hope your family member is impressed by the wifi performance of the R7800, as its arguably the best amongst the high end routers. I have the R9000 which essentially has the same Qualcomm Atheros (QCA) 2.4 ghz and 5ghz radios as the R7800 and couldn't be happier. I have high hopes that my R9000 should be able to handle my soon-to-be-installed FTTPoD 330/30 connecton with ease  ;D