Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Am I stuck on a banded/high retransmission profile?  (Read 13963 times)

aneesh99

Re: Am I stuck on a banded/high retransmission profile?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2016, 12:31:37 AM »

So as a slight diversion and to save me making another thread elsewhere, I was intrigued by Zen, IDNet and AAISP. Any general thoughts from fellow Kitizens?

Also anyone have any experience on early termination with Plusnet?

aneesh99

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2016, 01:58:19 PM »

So the GEA test ran and I've found out a few things.

1. Downstream speed on the GEA test is an actual speed test without a doubt. GEA reports 57.4, and my speed test is pretty much bang on 57.4.
2. The parameters section at the bottom is the line rate which should correlate to the router (which is correctly 60, and was correctly 66.997 before)
3. My IP profile hasn't changed.... Still 62.1
4. Router stats as follows:
====================================================================================
    VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                    Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
            VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                G.Vector:   Disable
            Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
             Link Uptime:   0 day: 17 hours: 50 minutes
====================================================================================
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
               Line Rate:     20.063 Mbps       59.999 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate:     19.999 Mbps       60.000 Mbps
          Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
              SNR Margin:        7.4 dB            9.7 dB
            Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
          Transmit Power:        7.0 dBm          13.0 dBm
           Receive Power:       -8.6 dBm          -3.5 dBm
              Actual INP:        0.0 symbols      52.0 symbols
       Total Attenuation:        0.0 dB          17.2 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate:     23.235 Mbps       75.192 Mbps
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1      U2      U3      U4      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):    5.2    21.6    32.6     N/A     N/A    12.1    27.7    42.2   
Signal Attenuation(dB):    5.2    20.9    31.9     N/A     N/A    13.4    27.5    42.2   
        SNR Margin(dB):    7.1    7.4    7.3     N/A     N/A    9.7    9.7    9.7   
         TX Power(dBm):   -3.5   -21.5    6.6     N/A     N/A    9.7    7.8    6.9   

So reflecting on this, the earlier GEA tests weren't correctly reporting my downstream rate (GEA 64.1, but my actual results were 60ish). Additionally the IP profile hasn't changed at all which is strange.

Anyone know the command to unrestrict my sync?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:01:44 PM by aneesh99 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »

Our posts crossed over on the PN forum..  I must have been reading and typing whilst you were making your reply.

>> Anyone know the command to unrestrict my sync?

The command doesnt stick.   When Ive capped in the past, Ive simply done a full reboot of my router to take it back to default. (power down)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

aneesh99

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 02:12:56 PM »

Thanks for that.

I've just posted this over on PN as well. How come the GEA tests before were reporting the downstream speed at 64.1 when my IP profile is 62.04? Does the GEA test bypass the IP profile when it's being run?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2016, 02:59:45 PM »

There is obviously something deliberate going on with the "Downstream Speed    57.4 Mbps" reported by the GEA test that we do not know about. It's possibly something to do with the "Retransmission High" profile and the expected reduction in speed from the retransmission dealing with errors/interference. It does not appear to be an incorrect value stuck in the system somewhere. It will not be a speedtest result.

Not sure why the IP Profile did not change. Did the PPP connection drop when you capped the speed?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2016, 03:42:19 PM »

GEA reports sync speed not a speedtest so it will be above the ip profile.

aneesh99

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2016, 04:00:20 PM »

Yep session dropped and reconnected entirety.
 The thing about downstream speed is that 57.4 was the exact speed test result from BTw. I've triple checked and the IP profile is still 62.04.

I've dropped my entire network and I'll leave it off for a few hours in the hope that might do something.

I still can't understand why my IP profile was 62.04, and why DLM hasn't done anything for 4 months

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2016, 04:18:10 PM »

The 62.04 IP Profile was the expected percentage of the 64.1 speed, I don't know why it didn't change to about 96.7% of 57.4, but you didn't give it very long. Some Asus routers had issues with non-updating IP Profiles, but I think that was for the Asus models with built in VDSL2 modems.

If you want to know why the DLM did or didn't do anything, then you'll need to monitor the stats continuously with a program like DSLstats. The DLM may have done nothing because the Error Seconds rate and other stats are in the "no change" range, giving an Indicative Line Quality (ILQ) of Amber (amber making it sound worse than it really is). Not necessarily because the DLM is stuck or broken or anything like that.

aneesh99

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2016, 04:51:33 PM »

Yeah you're right I'm probably being a fool and rushing things. Anyway, so I've reconnected around 1.30 hours after shutting down the network so I'll see over the next few weeks if there are any changes to the IP profile and if DLM wants to do anything.

I've made some improvements - dumped the microfilter and gone to a Mk3 SSFP, and replaced my DSL cable + connections between the modem and router with fresh and tested Cat6.  :fingers:

Edit: I'm running the RT-N66U, not the DSL version. Current setup is VGM8324-->RT-N66U-->Stuff

Also, stats because why not  :P

VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                    Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
            VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                G.Vector:   Disable
            Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
             Link Uptime:   0 day: 1 hour: 3 minutes
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
               Line Rate:     20.063 Mbps       66.996 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate:     19.999 Mbps       66.997 Mbps
          Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
              SNR Margin:        7.2 dB            7.8 dB
            Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
          Transmit Power:        7.1 dBm          13.0 dBm
           Receive Power:       -8.5 dBm          -3.4 dBm
              Actual INP:        0.0 symbols      51.0 symbols
       Total Attenuation:        0.0 dB          17.1 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate:     23.124 Mbps       75.277 Mbps
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1      U2      U3      U4      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):    5.0    21.4    32.7     N/A     N/A    12.0    27.4    42.5   
Signal Attenuation(dB):    5.0    20.6    32.2     N/A     N/A    13.2    27.2    42.5   
        SNR Margin(dB):    7.5    7.3    7.2     N/A     N/A    7.8    7.8    7.8   
         TX Power(dBm):   -3.6   -21.8    6.6     N/A     N/A    9.6    7.8    6.9   

VDSL Counters

Downstream        Upstream
Since Link time = 3 min 43 sec
FEC:      1271      17
CRC:      0      2
ES:      0      2
SES:      0      0
UAS:      0      0
LOS:      0      0
LOF:      0      0
LOM:      0      0
Latest 15 minutes time = 4 min 12 sec
FEC:      0      0
CRC:      0      0
ES:      0      0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
FEC:      27      0
Latest 1 day time = 1 hours 4 min 12 sec
UAS:      29      29
Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
FEC:      0      0
Total time = 1 hours 4 min 12 sec
UAS:      29      29

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 05:50:41 PM by aneesh99 »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2016, 05:00:05 PM »

With your current sync speed, and GEA test speed, there won't be any changes to the IP profile unless there are any changes to your sync speed and GEA test reported speed. 62.04 is the correct IP profile for the 64.1 speed.

aneesh99

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2016, 05:07:41 PM »

So any ideas where this 64.1 speed thing is coming from?

Also - I'll leave DSLStats running, what info would you guys want from it?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »

64.1/67 = 0.9567164179 = 95.67%
57.4/60 = 0.9566666666 = 95.67%

It's probably something to do with the "Retransmission High" profile. There's probably someone at Openreach who knows exactly why it's happened, or it's in some Openreach document not available to the general public.

Quote from: ITU G.998.4
SHINEratio
The loss of rate in a 1 second interval expressed as a fraction of NDR due
to a SHINE impulse noise environment expected by the operator to occur
at a probability acceptable for the services.

Although we are used to what stats are provided by Broadcom based modems, they don't show everything. I'm guessing that the 64.1 is the ETR as defined in G.998.4.

Quote from: ITU G.998.4
11.2.1 Expected throughput (ETR)
The test parameter expected throughput (ETR) is defined in Table 9-2 as:
ETR = min(ETRu,ETR_max) kbit/s
where:
ETRu: is the unlimited version of ETR given by
ETRu = ( 1 - RTxOH ) x NDR

The RTxOH (see Table 9-2) is the expected rate loss, expressed as a fraction of net data rate (NDR),
due to the combined effect of:

• impulse noise protection against worst-case REIN impulses as described by the configuration
    parameters INPMIN_REIN_RTX and IAT_REIN_RTX in the CO-MIB;
  • impulse noise protection against worst-case SHINE as described by the configuration
    parameters INPMIN_SHINE_RTX and SHINERATIO_RTX in the CO-MIB;
  • overhead due to correction of stationary noise errors.

Most people with retransmission enabled will be on the "Retransmission Low" profile, not "Retransmission High" which you are on, so we haven't seen many cases like this, so I certainly didn't recognise what was going on with the GEA test showing a different speed value to what the modem was reporting.

aneesh99

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2016, 06:54:55 PM »

I'm guessing the retransmission high is persisting from when the exchange was going FUBAR. It's not very clear from the PN thread but I've gone back through my fault ticket and the remote reset was done a week before the problem was sorted at the exchange, not afterwards.

I'm looking at my errors right now, 4 hours uptime and 2ES in the upstream, nothing on the downstream at all.

Another question at the risk of exposing myself as a complete noob - shouldn't my IP profile be 64.1 instead of 62.04?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2016, 07:21:32 PM »

On FTTC, the IP profile is always approximately 96.78% of the speed. 62.04 is 96.78% of 64.1.

You may also need to look at the retransmission (G.998.4 / G.INP) counters to get an idea of how hard the retransmission is or isn't having to work to achieve that very low number of uncorrected errors.

I suppose the usual thing to do these days is to sign up to https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/ in case anyone else wants to look at your stats.

Also, anything going on at the exchange really should not have had any impact on the VDSL2 connection between your FTTC cabinet and your modem.

aneesh99

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2016, 07:47:56 PM »

Cool, I'm up on the site so my stats should be available under aneesh99. I've just had to stop and restart logging to get it uploading so there isn't much data yet. So far ILQ is green  :fingers:

So that's the thing, I remember you mentioning that before. In the fault ticket, I was told in no uncertain terms that the reason was a 'hot VP', clearly given my symptoms of masses of errors and a tanking sync speed doesn't really fit that picture...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:19:52 PM by aneesh99 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5