Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Am I stuck on a banded/high retransmission profile?  (Read 13965 times)

aneesh99

Re: Am I stuck on a banded/high retransmission profile?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 12:43:38 PM »

I'm just going around in circles with PN who are adamant that because either way, my sync is above the low estimate, I'll be charged for an engineer. Apparently the fact that the IP profile, sync and modem all being out of whack isn't a fault.

Smh  :no: :wall:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:06:30 PM by aneesh99 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 01:16:46 PM »

yeah I get the impression bob is more senior than CS given he is able to directly touch the network config and provide good info in the forums which CS bods would not know about, I guess he is just really enthusiastic and frustrated at the same time so goes beyond his job role to try and help customers.

aneesh99

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »

I'm just getting frustrated and feeling a bit defeated tbh, I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with the forum guys.

Linn got back to me and said she'd forward it to someone. Anyone have any other ideas on who to speak to? I was just going to email Andy Baker tbh, I really can't be arsed dealing with this anymore.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:47:04 PM by aneesh99 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 02:16:12 PM »

In all honesty if it were me, then I'd wait for Bob to get back after the xmas hols.
It's like banging head against a brick wall over there.   I sent a screen cap of another instance where a GEA test was showing incorrect data as proof of the fact it does happen.
The reason I suggested an hours power down, is because that's what cleared the other one to show correct data.

Although its annoying, its not service affecting and at least you have got a connection.  Even if they did decide to act, its unlikely that the engineer would be with you before xmas.   I therefore prescribe a glass of liquid refreshment and enjoy the next few days with your friends & family.  Seasons greeting and all that. 
Then afterwards, hopefully Bob will be able to pick up on the message you sent.   :fingers:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:19:05 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

aneesh99

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 02:46:34 PM »

Thanks to all of you guys and gals for the assistance so far, I really appreciate it  ;D I'll try and get it done tonight, and see if that does anything.

Thanks kitz, I'll defo enjoy my holiday! Wishing a happy holiday season to you all  :drunk:

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »

I have a different suggestion:

Use the adslctl/adslcmd command to reduce the sync speed, say to cap it at 60Mb downstream. Then get another GEA test run and see if it reports a different speed for the sync speed, presumably it will report a value lower than 60Mb.

The idea is to see if the speed reported by the GEA test changes. Then later, use the adslctl command again to remove the speed cap.

I've seen three different cases where the GEA test reported speed is lower, and in each case the IP Profile was about the same lower percentage, and I think in at least NewtronStar's case, the IP profile did change when their speed changed, so I'm no longer convinced it's simply a case of a wrong value stuck in the system somewhere.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 04:46:24 PM »

I've finally found the other thread in which someone had the GEA FTTC test report a different speed (and hence had a lower than expected BT IP Profile, because it was 96.7% of what the test said the speed was). Probably also banded.
https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Line-Rate-and-Profile-Difference/m-p/1383224

It does not give any insight as to why the test reports a different speed to the modem.

I missed seeing that post last night. For the record, that isnt the one I sent details of.     It does show that something odd is going on for a few lines.

It would have been interesting if there was ever a follow up to that ejs found and if it ever got resolved :/

Use the adslctl/adslcmd command to reduce the sync speed, say to cap it at 60Mb downstream.

Its worth a try, taking it lower may poke something into action.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 07:13:48 PM »

Was just checking the BTw Performance test for IP profile and can run the first test but not the second test which gives IP profile since the move to Vodafone it reads ->

"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider"

So BTw speed test 30700kbps / modem sync rate 32160kbps X 100 = 95.4%

aneesh99

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 07:40:47 PM »

Use the adslctl/adslcmd command to reduce the sync speed, say to cap it at 60Mb downstream. Then get another GEA test run and see if it reports a different speed for the sync speed, presumably it will report a value lower than 60Mb.

The idea is to see if the speed reported by the GEA test changes. Then later, use the adslctl command again to remove the speed cap

What would the command be? Is there a way to directly change my sync or do you mean by changing my SNRM?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 07:57:31 PM »

adslcmd or xdslcmd configure --maxdatarate 00000 00000 00000
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:59:43 PM by NewtronStar »

aneesh99

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 08:02:54 PM »

I gotta be honest I'm not at all familiar with configuring the data rate through telnet. What are the zeroes in your command about? One would be downstream, one set is upstream and the other one is..? Sorry for the noob questions!

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 08:06:15 PM »

See Speed capping and ES rates on a moderately noisy line

The command should be something like:
adsl configure --maxDataRate 60000 20000 80000

adsl configure --maxDataRate <maxdown> <maxup> <maxtotal>

The third one is a maximum for down+up.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 08:10:12 PM »

Let say I have downstream sync rate of 35000 kbps and upstream rate of 6000 kbps and I want to cap my downstream by 5000 kbps it would look like this ->

xdslcmd configure --maxdatarate 30000 6000 36000

aneesh99

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 08:25:25 PM »

Done.

====================================================================================
    VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                    Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
            VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                G.Vector:   Disable
            Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
             Link Uptime:   0 day: 0 hour: 17 minutes
====================================================================================
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
               Line Rate:     20.063 Mbps       59.999 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate:     19.999 Mbps       60.000 Mbps

Guess I just have to wait for a GEA test now. IP profile is 62.04.]

On a slightly different note, for the first time since I've joined, I'm really considering leaving - but it's unfortunate that I only migrated onto FTTC in August this year, I think I might have some difficulty in leave without being saddled with early termination charges. Zen, IDNet and AAISP do look pretty tempting though...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:26:57 PM by aneesh99 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »

IP profile is 62.04

In theory that figure should change immediately in line with your sync speed.   The fact that it hasn't updated is strange.  :'(

I've just seen Anoush's reply about sync rate.  I was about to fire off a long response but realised I would perhaps be wasting my time.  That is comparable to the type of reply I'd expect from other large ISPs and indicates he doesn't understand what sync speed is.   I'm at a loss for words.   Its no wonder that PN's ratings have taken a drastic dive for CS over the past 6 months. :(
Its such a shame because at one point their CS understanding and knowledge was way better than the other large ISPs, now it appears to be akin to TT & BT :/  Jeeze at one point they used to have 'a bat' whereby reps making stupid comments were threatened with it.   At that time their CS staff were good and the bat was more of a good humoured joke not anything real.
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything