Broadband Related > Known Network Issues + MSO's

KCOM apologises as 'several thousand' lose internet access

(1/2) > >>

Bowdon:
KCOM apologises as 'several thousand' lose internet access

--- Quote ---KCOM has apologised after thousands of people in Hull were cut off from the internet over the weekend.

Many are still without broadband access today as the operator struggles to rectify the disruption, which first hit users on Saturday.

The firm says that the issue is an "intermittent problem" and is not concentrated on any particular area.

Mark Jardine, who lives off Beverley Road, said he was watching Netflix when his internet went off just after 8pm on Sunday evening.

He remains without internet access at home today.
--- End quote ---

From the comments on the article it sounds like KCOM are really bad. Not sure if any other forum people are with KCOM and what their experience is of them?

NEXUS2345:
 I was with Eclipse before I was with Zen and after the KCOM takeover, I started to find that my internet connection became extremely throttled when downloading stuff. Like, they would reduce my bandwidth by 80%. I then noticed that all their residential packages had disappeared, so I pretty much came to the conclusion that they wanted their residential customers gone. My experience was bad with them. Even their customer support took 3 phone calls to fix an issue, over a period of about 3-4 weeks. I have since moved to Zen and for the past year and a half with them not had an issue.

kitz:
KCOM has the monopoly for Hull.  In fact not just the monopoly but they are practically the only provider - About the only alternative is wifi broadband via Connexin.

At one time I wondered if KCom were going to branch out more nationwide as they bought out Mistral who were one of the major SP's used by Utilities Warehouse, but they seem to have not done anything much with it.  It seems they are doing the same with Eclipse.  I'm not quite sure the logic behind purchasing national ISPs then in effect winding down the residential retail arm.

--- Quote ---Many are still without broadband access today as the operator struggles to rectify the disruption, which first hit users on Saturday.

The firm says that the issue is an "intermittent problem" and is not concentrated on any particular area.

"While some customers have been able to reconnect immediately, other customers' routers will need to be reset before they can connect to the internet again."

--- End quote ---

They had obviously been hit by the Mirai type bot too.   
I was made aware of the problem several days ago but after reassurances that the VMG series were not involved, was requested not to post anything until affected ISPs had the patches available to roll out.   

broadstairs:

--- Quote from: kitz on December 02, 2016, 12:21:07 PM ---They had obviously been hit by the Mirai bot too.   
I was made aware of the problem several days ago but after reassurances that the VMG series were not involved, was requested not to post anything until affected ISPs had the patches available to roll out.   

--- End quote ---

I'm disappointed (but not surprised) that they wanted to cover it up and perhaps more disappointed that you agreed. I think this should have been made public as soon as possible. Waiting for a roll out of a fix is not acceptable, however turning off tr069 and 064 would have been a good move in my view. I will never run any modem with anything like that enabled as I certainly dont trust any ISP to have access to my router for any purpose.

Stuart

j0hn:
I completely disagree. Further publicising the issue with details of any vulnerability will only serve to increase the likelihood of it being exploited by others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version