Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Ronski's Pfsense router build  (Read 4118 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Ronski's Pfsense router build
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2017, 01:23:49 PM »

Time is short in the morning, so just didn't have time look into things and work out how, and of course the others needed broadband access whilst I'm at work.

I'll have a look at the logs tonight.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2017, 06:52:14 PM »

System had been up for 29 days.

grrrr, only 29 days?  lol

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2017, 08:20:56 PM »

the answer was to not reboot and login to the terminal.  Then you can find if some sort of process was hung or just chewing up extra cpu, now that you have already rebooted its harder.  But you can check all the logs to see if anything stands out.

Well looking at the logs tonight I can't see anything untoward*, I suppose http://192.168.0.1/status.php#Processes would have come in very useful this morning.

I have notice (some time ago) my swap file has disappeared, I realise this is unrelated.

*I can see hundreds of these errors bad name in /var/dhcpd/var/db/dhcpd.leases which I think relates to one of my devices which has a host name with () in it, I've no way to change the host name, so not sure how to get aground that - I have posted on a thread on the pfSense forums so I'll see what they suggest.

displaced

« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2017, 10:26:29 PM »

I think a possible solution for the device with the dodgy hostname would be to create a static DHCP entry for it. 

From my tinkering with pfSense, the option's under Services > DHCP Server > DHCP Static Mappings for this Interface.

It should be enough to provide the MAC address of the device and a new hostname.  If you don't provide an IP address for the mapping, one will be allocated as normal from the pool.  Everything else can be left empty.  You're simply telling the DHCP server to override the hostname.
Vodafone Landline+Fibre: Huawei HG612 modem, pfSense router, AirPort access points.  50/10 sync, Huawei DSLAM. GigE home LAN with Netgear ProSafe switches. Mac, FreeBSD and Win10.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2017, 06:00:22 AM »

Thanks Displaced, I did try that exactly as you suggest but it didn't work.

displaced

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2017, 03:54:49 PM »

Don't give up just yet!  The dhcpd.leases file is a little odd.  It's not just a record of the current state of the leases -- it's sort of a historic journal.  So it could be that your settings change has resolved the issue, but there are still old records in the file which contain the previous bad hostname.

Might be worth trying to clear the leases -- I can't get to my pfSense installation right now, but I'd presume there'll be an option somewhere to clear the file.

Chris
Vodafone Landline+Fibre: Huawei HG612 modem, pfSense router, AirPort access points.  50/10 sync, Huawei DSLAM. GigE home LAN with Netgear ProSafe switches. Mac, FreeBSD and Win10.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2017, 08:14:56 PM »

My static mapping is still there, I did delete the lease (I no longer have that option), and also restarted the service but alas made no difference.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

anything