Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: pfSense self build and configuration  (Read 9426 times)

adrianw

• Reg Member
Re: pfSense self build and configuration
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 08:15:47 AM »

Yes, I can see people who bought a SG-1000 without knowing it was running beta software being miffed. I did not mind that as I new before I bought it, but was really miffed about its throughput.

I think that the pricing of the Netgate units may be because of the "free" incentives. The SG-1000 comes with a 1 year Gold subscription. Its two bigger brothers come with 2 paid support incidents for a year. I assume that Netgate are including part of the cost of this in the price. I have not looked at the costs and incentives of the unaffordably more expensive items.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »

Quote from: Chrysalis
To setup temp monitoring I think is just one option that has to be ticked in the settings, then you should see the core temperatures on your dashboard.

I checked the box and got nothing.... according to the PCEngines forum the kernel doesn't contain the correct ID for the AMD processors so I did this hacky thing to make it work.
I transferred the files using SFTP because when i tried to use USB my box went mental, crashed and the rebooted.  Won't be trying that again...
Anyway it works now and my temps are all 53C, not bad for a passive device, especially as the cooler is pretty bodgey, uses the case as a passive HS and seemed to be an old design made for the original APU board.

Quote from: adrianw
If you have Windows 10 machines, you might try the "get updates from other machines on my LAN" option.
Good idea, I have enabled this.
The annoying thing about Squid is that is doesn't do what I REALLY wanted it to do, cache Apple, Windows and game updates but never mind .....
My understanding is that Apple and MS have made this very difficult requiring dedicated servers etc, I guess they got their reasons.

Chunks

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »

adrian it seems also the advertised AES offloading doesnt work in pfsense either due to a lack of a driver, its a bit of an odd choice of hardware to promote.

Chunkers seems it needs a bug report to ask for the amdtemp kernel module to be default compiled on pfSense kernel.

I wont be doing the bug report tho due to the silly responses I got last time.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:16:10 PM by Chrysalis »

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 10:35:35 PM »

On my apu2 the temp monior does not report anythung under 2.3.2 p1. When the box was on 2.4 though the temp monitor worked just fine.
I guess something was added in the 2.4 beta..

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 10:46:55 PM »

adrian it seems also the advertised AES offloading doesnt work in pfsense either due to a lack of a driver, its a bit of an odd choice of hardware to promote.

Which hardware are we talking about? I've given up on the SG-1000 in favour of a SG-2220. Everything seems to work, and for the price it should!
From SG-2220 serial console
cryptosoft0: <software crypto> on motherboard
From web console
Hardware crypto   AES-CBC,AES-XTS,AES-GCM,AES-ICM

I did have to tweak some settings in System/Advanced/Miscellaneous, possibly due to my doing the bare minimum to get the box connected and then restoring its configuration from an ALIX backup. Beats setting up from scratch hands down.

I wont be doing the bug report tho due to the silly responses I got last time.

Should I ever submit a pfSense bug, I'll have it polished (sand blasted?) in the forum first.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 12:34:49 AM »

The SG-1000 I am talking about, is some posts on the pfSense forum about the non working AESNI support.

Also yeah I can confirm amdtemp.ko exists on 2.4, so they recitified that in 2.4.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 02:06:52 AM »

Probably best that we stop talking about the SG-1000. As far as I know, I was the only person here using one, and that was for just a few days.

I'll be sticking on 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 (AMD) on both my AMD boxes until a new release arrives (2.4 might not be far off).
  • The SG-2220 down here because it has a Netgate image (notably is not badged Community Edition, has additional Wizards, and possibly some specific tweaks for Netgate hardware), and the only images Netgate release are -RELEASE and -RELEASE-p*. No beta images. When the time comes I will upgrade rather than reinstall.
  • The LinITX LinITX APU 1D 4GB (3NIC+USB+RTC) at home because, aside from me being here and it being 160 miles away there, I am really dependant upon it.
I might try to convert my LinITX ALIX 2D2 LX800 (2NIC+USB) box from nano to normal to keep as a back up, but I have rather gone off it, having been forced to rewrite the CF card(s) and reconfigure too many times over the past fortnight. Probably better for me to keep it as-is as a backup for here, and spring for a SG-2440 (gulp) for home, with the APU as a backup.

Or (finally getting somewhat back on topic), what is the current best affordable non APU serial port console (say no to displays and keyboards) amd64 "self build" with at least 3 Intel NICs? I can cope with adding cards, memory, etc, but putting processors onto motherboards or motherboards into cases is something I very much prefer not to do.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:10:06 AM by adrianw »
Pages: 1 [2]