Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Investigatory Powers Bill is coming in to law.. Big Brother is here.  (Read 11814 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Investigatory Powers Bill is coming in to law.. Big Brother is here.
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2016, 10:55:35 PM »

You don't need to be breaking the law in order for you to be surveillanced.

This is a difficult subject to talk about, privacy in public lol.

I think if you can tell your mother everything your doing online and she doesnt freak out then your probably be safe, even if your 'scanned'.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2016, 12:04:32 AM »

Web browsing is close to recording your stream of consciousness, it's far more personal than even steaming your mail open.

Anyone propagating the nothing to hide, nothing to fear, premise obviously lives in a house with no curtains, answers the front door straight from the shower without bothering to wear a towel, shows their work colleagues their payslip, etc, etc, etc ...  or maybe they don't.  :-\

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2016, 12:18:12 AM »

It's ironic that Chrysalis is using servers hosted in France. Good for you, btw. Wasn't France very anti-encryption twenty-something years ago?

dont know and dont care about 20 years ago, only care about now, if france becomes an issue I just move it again no big deal.  As I also have resources in holland, germany, sweden, romania, and poland.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2016, 08:12:05 AM »

It was of course very much not a criticism.

Twenty years ago the English government was threatening anti-encryption measures, and at work we were discussing temporarily moving staff to Dublin if HM govt turned awkward.

WesBez7

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2016, 04:51:56 PM »

I think "shutting the door after the horse has bolted" may misunderstand the usefulness of looking back over a suspect's or convict's communications. As in the case of Meir, Jo Cox's murderer, surely it can be useful to help weed out his contacts for review. Antecedents!

What about civil liberties. Privacy. Imply that everyone should be spied on for the sake of a few cases. For the vast amount of data that is being collated it's disproportionate to the results.  People will use names such as Jo cox to justify. Use words like terrorist. Censor perfectly legal sites. If this is the start where will it end?

niemand

• Kitizen

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »

I was already aware of the NSA passing info to the DEA - just another example of the "culture" of American law enforcement. This is why I avoid US based VPNs as a general principle - looks like we're in a similar boat and knowing the UK's attitude to spying we'll be a lot better at it.  :(

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2016, 01:46:42 PM »

We may not have the resources in our own right but what we lack in those we more than make up for. Thanks to use of the NSA's processing and storage capabilities we actually have many of those, too  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2016, 09:59:46 PM »

If this story is accurate isn't this nice?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/06/parallel_construction_lies_in_english_courts/

Its all rather scary.
There's some meme doing the rounds atm showing George Orwells 1984 being reorganised on someone's bookshelf from fiction to fact. 
If I could find it again,  I'd post it.   Only its not really funny :( 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2016, 05:22:48 AM »

RevK’s latest blog post on the matter (a later short post) at

http://www.revk.uk/2016/12/investigatory-powers-act-devil-in-detail.html

is sort-of encouraging. A good bit less scary than it might have been. The article has a link to the text of the bill, I presume the final bill, btw.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2016, 10:13:36 AM »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/21/eu_judgment/

The legality of the UK's Investigatory Powers Act has been called into question by a landmark EU legal ruling this morning, which has restated that access to retained data must only be given in cases of serious crime.

The landmark judgment [PDF] was handed down by the European Union's Court of Justice, setting a new precedent for EU member states' data retention regimes, stating that access to such data must be restricted to the purpose of preventing and detecting serious crime.

The judges also stated that police and public bodies should not be allowed to authorise their own access to this data, instead requiring that access requests receive prior authorisation by independent courts or similar bodies.

Note this is nothing specific to the UK, it applies to all member states.

I see nothing remotely controversial about restricting access to dipping into such data to issues around serious crime only, and would sincerely hope that authorisation would have to come from an independent body, not those seeking access to the data.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]