Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Virgin Media's parent commits to gigabit by 2018  (Read 7535 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Virgin Media's parent commits to gigabit by 2018
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2016, 05:14:40 PM »

I understand what you saying, but I just consider that a weak argument for letting a telco off the hook, that they just "might" save this so called wasted money on what we want.

If we applied the same logic to other things, then we wouldnt fine criminals simply because the fines could be "spent on better things".

My speculation of where the money would come from is based on BT's circa 30 year history.  I also speculate that the so called billions of wasted money is something grossly exaggerated to try and scare people into making ofcom back off.

This is why I say simply the fact something costs money should not be a relevant factor if something is regulated.  There has to be a non financial reason given.

I expect ofcom have given BT many chances to come with a sound plan for future investment, they will have likely been given many opportunities to point out productive use of this money and have probably failed to do so.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2016, 11:07:32 PM »

Ummm.  You have totally misunderstood and jumped to conclusions about what I meant. Where does it imply anywhere what you have just said above.

You should know by now that my thoughts are not splitting off Openreach, but splitting off retail, because logically it makes more sense to merge BTw & Openreach because it just adds a layers of complication for both the EU and the BTw based ISPs.  It needs to be a level playing field for all ISPs not just the LLU SPs.   Time and time again I keep saying that splitting off Openreach only serves to line the pockets of accountants and lawyers.   Time and time again Ive said this money could be better spend on the infrastructure. 

Im not quite sure how you interpret that as letting Openreach off the hook.  I'm dont agree with the bureaucracy that we are increasingly living in today where money goes to lawyers and chiefs - rather than indians and actually looking out for the customer.

You did it last year and repeatedly kept misunderstanding what Im trying to say.  The LLU ISPs have their own selfish reasons for wanting a split. Its certainly not for the EU's benefit.  Anyone who doesn't get that is rather that naive. 

Im not following the LLU mob, nor am I following the Openreach camp.  What I think is something entirely different and Ive repeatedly given the reasons why I think it would be more beneficial for the customers.
Good grief..  frustrated or what.  I really dont know how to make it any more obvious.

Split Off RETAIL.  [/glow]

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2016, 01:49:53 PM »

ok no worries :)  I wont drag this on, we both have made our points.
Pages: 1 2 [3]