Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: LAN setup  (Read 63558 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: LAN setup
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 08:16:44 PM »

Well I decided to go for one of these in the end, the version which takes 2.5" SSD as I have an 80GB Intel SSD that's doing nothing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GBHC62K/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item
http://www.qotom.net/goods-129-QOTOM-Q190G4+4+LAN+Mini+PC.html

There's a thread on the PFsense forums, does it really need 8GB of memory if running quite a few packages?

The PC Engines one ended up looking like it'd cost about £180 including delivery if it got picked up for import duty as Switzerland is not in the EU.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 11:08:38 PM »

just for the curious my mini keyboard works as well with this. Works in the bios etc.

Rii i8+ 2.4Ghz LED Backlit Mini Wireless Keyboard With Touch Pad Mouse UK Layout With Built-in Rechargeable Battery Black
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T2SJUWA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also inside there is a connector and power cable for a normal sata storage device although I recommend a msata ssd like I got and actually removing those sata cables.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 08:22:08 AM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2016, 11:18:33 PM »

Well I decided to go for one of these in the end, the version which takes 2.5" SSD as I have an 80GB Intel SSD that's doing nothing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GBHC62K/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item
http://www.qotom.net/goods-129-QOTOM-Q190G4+4+LAN+Mini+PC.html

There's a thread on the PFsense forums, does it really need 8GB of memory if running quite a few packages?

The PC Engines one ended up looking like it'd cost about £180 including delivery if it got picked up for import duty as Switzerland is not in the EU.

Your find made me realise I suck at searching for stuff :p , you guys all making me feel down with the realtek nics :/

Nice find tho, looks good.  The cpu has no AES tho but at the same time the cpu has a decent amount of raw grunt so it should be able to handle vpn at FTTC speeds.

Also 4 gig should be plenty of ram.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 05:17:32 AM »

I'll be able to verify this as I am currently trying to get one ordered direct at the moment, the price for a 4Gb board, case and UK PSU is EU 121 + P&P plus I will have to pay VAT, I think. So I am guessing price will be around £135 ish delivered.

I was not able to order without a VAT number so am ordering via family business

I've already git an mSATA SSD

Chunks

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 05:26:26 AM »

ok some information for those using pfsense with an ssd.

The pfsense devs are using an old way to configure partitions, in short they -

dont enable trim
dont align partitions to 4k alignment
and they also enable SUJ which I think is best disabled on an ssd.

to fix the alignment follow this guide https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=86139.0
if you try to do it all manually pfsense will rewrite the partitions, but I have confirmed the above guide does lead to a 4k aligned partition.

The commands to enable trim and disable soft updates journaling are.  (assuming the ssd is on ada0, which it will be if its the only sata device)

Code: [Select]
tunefs -t enable /dev/ada0s1a
tunefs -j disable /dev/ada0s1a

Less important is to have the swap on a swapfile not partition as the partition wont utilise trim, but I think its unlikely a pfsense box with at least 4 gig of ram will even use the swap.

bottom of this page is a couple of commands to make the swapfile http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/ssd.html

so

mkdir /usr/swap (although can be put anywhere you like)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/swap/swap bs=128k count=16384 (2 gig swap)

add these 2 lines to /etc/fstab

# Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options                         Dump    Pass#
md99            none            swap    sw,file=/usr/swap/swap,late     0       0

then after run
swapon -aL
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:45:12 PM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2016, 07:03:06 AM »

@Chunkers, I allowed 40 Euro for shipping, if shipping was 30 Euro, then with import duty it would come to £153. There's a handy calculator here (one time use). There's also the possibility the courier will charge a handling fee.

@Chrysalis. Thanks for that very useful information, does this change the swap file from what's set up during installation. You'd have thought the dev's would have made the OS SSD friendly by now.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2016, 07:14:23 AM »

ok some information for those using pfsense with an ssd.

The pfsense devs are using an old way to configure partitions, in short they -

dont enable trim
dont align partitions to 4k alignment
and they also enable SUJ which I think is best disabled on an ssd.

to fix the alignment follow this guide https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=86139.0
if you try to do it all manually pfsense will rewrite the partitions, but I have confirmed the above guide does lead to a 4k aligned partition.

The commands to enable trime and disable soft updates journaling are.  (assuming the ssd is on ada0, which it will be if its the only sata device)

tunefs -t enable /dev/adas0p1
tunefs -j disable /dev/adas0p1

Less important is to have the swap on a swapfile not partition as the partition wont utilise trim, but I think its unlikely a pfsense box with at least 4 gig of ram will even use the swap.

bottom of this page is a couple of commands to make the swapfile http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/ssd.html

so

mkdir /usr/swap (although can be put anywhere you like)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/swap/swap bs=128k count=16384 (2 gig swap)

add these 2 lines to /etc/fstab

# Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options                         Dump    Pass#
md99            none            swap    sw,file=/usr/swap/swap,late     0       0

then after run
swapon -aL

This answers one of my (many) questions regarding pfSense config and also the setup of the APU2 box when it arrives, to avoid cluttering this thread with my questions I'll start a new thread - really appreciate the posts from you guys as they will help me a lot as I thrash around trying to make it work, lol.

C

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2016, 08:17:37 AM »

@Chunkers, I allowed 40 Euro for shipping, if shipping was 30 Euro, then with import duty it would come to £153. There's a handy calculator here (one time use). There's also the possibility the courier will charge a handling fee.

@Chrysalis. Thanks for that very useful information, does this change the swap file from what's set up during installation. You'd have thought the dev's would have made the OS SSD friendly by now.

in my case I had configured a 2 gig swap file during install, if you wish to disable it then do this.

open /etc/fstab

comment out the line as follows.

#/dev/label/swap0               none            swap    sw              0       0
then run
swapoff -a
or simply reboot

if you doing this after you had already added the swapfile then the above command would disable both so run swapon -aL again after or the reboot will take care of it.

Back to my box, I have sourced a dual intel nic mini pcie card, its pricy tho at 50 notes, but the option is there if the box is unstable using realtek.  If purchased it would take the cost of this unit all in, including ram, ssd and the 2xintel nic to about £200 with it been a 4 nic unit (2xrealtek and 2xintel)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 08:21:14 AM by Chrysalis »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »

You may well have already found this information, but according to the FreeBSD documentation at https://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/article.html#ethernet :

The re(4) driver supports RealTek RTL8139C+, RTL8169, RTL816xS, RTL811xS, RTL8168, RTL810xE and RTL8111 based Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet adapters including:

Alloy Computer Products EtherGOLD 1439E 10/100 (8139C+)

Compaq Evo N1015v Integrated Ethernet (8139C+)

Corega CG-LAPCIGT Gigabit Ethernet (8169S)

D-Link DGE-528(T) Gigabit Ethernet (8169S)

Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 Integrated Gigabit Ethernet (8110S)

LevelOne GNC-0105T (8169S)

LinkSys EG1032 (32-bit PCI)

PLANEX COMMUNICATIONS Inc. GN-1200TC (8169S)

TP-Link TG-3468 v2 Gigabit Ethernet (8168)

USRobotics USR997902 Gigabit Ethernet (8169S)

Xterasys XN-152 10/100/1000 NIC (8169)
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2016, 10:52:41 AM »

sadly the FreeBSD realtek driver is basic only.  Most stuff that can be tuned on intel nic's is not tunable such as flow control, interrupt moderation and msix.  In addition the driver is buggy that when offloading is enabled it doesnt behave normal.  Otherwise the nic's perform providing the pps load is moderate only :)  I dont expect my home setup to exceed that load and I think will be ok, I have already disabled checksum offloading on pfsense so will see how things go after I have configured the unit and it takes over the router duties, that is a while off yet tho as I have a lot of configuration to import, my router does more then just forwarding packets, it filters malware, mobile ads and performs QoS duties :)  In addition to been my vpn endpoint as well.

I have ran some openssl benchmarks, with AES acceleration disabled its about 12-13 times faster than my ac68 (which itself is overclocked by 50%). With it enabled its about 740 times faster :)

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2016, 02:01:14 PM »

My router was running VyOS for quite a while(which I really prefer over pfSense - but it doesn't have the community or GUI) and then I switched to pfSense.

I went for a Mini-ITX build with no moving parts, initially I chose a ASUS N3150 board for AES-NI, then I swapped it for an ASROCK AMD board which had a longer PCI-E expansion slot - I use a dual port Intel NIC and avoid the onboard Realtek.

Interesting upside to the AMD board is the AMD A4-5000 CPU - bit worse power consumption, pretty much the same performance as the N3150, except in crypto where it hammers the N3150 -

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2016, 02:05:20 PM »

by the way the aes score on cpuboss is a typo, they put a . instead of , making the value seem really low :)

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2016, 02:27:52 PM »

Does anyone know if you can use BT TV with a pfSense setup easily? I assume you could use one dedicated LAN port just for the set top box multicast, but like they say - never assume...

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »

The mini pcie adaptor just arrived, I decided to buy it as only one source had it in the UK and with limited stock (intel chip variant), better to get it now, then decide later I want it and not been able to source it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 12:30:15 PM »

This is hard to add whilst keeping things tidy, the issues are.

pci bracket obviously has nowhere to go, I was aware of this of course before hand.
the cables connecting the bracket to the mpcie adaptor are much thicker and longer than I expected, they also are not very flexible.

Right now I have got one end of the unit resting on top of the bracket which is underneath the unit, and raised it the other side so its sort of level, the bottom cover is not in place as impossible to do so.

My plan is to buy longer screws so the base can be secured again but with a gap so the unit would be raised and this gap will be enough for cabling to get in and out the unit as well as enough room in the unit as inside the unit where the cables attach was also too tight to fit in its normal space.

In regards to the pci bracket the two ethernet ports can be detached but I am thinking of keeping them on the bracket and having the bracket sandwiched in the space thats created with using the longer screws, then it should be ok.  I will post some pics later.

So now the unit has 4 ethernet ports, 2x realtek and 2x intel.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10