Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT's Openreach launches gigabit FTTP product  (Read 2750 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
BT's Openreach launches gigabit FTTP product
« on: November 14, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »

Openreach, the wholesale arm of telecommunications giant BT, has announced that it is upgrading its top fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) product from 330Mb/s to 1Gb/s, though its availability is still sorely limited.
Selley's statement includes a tacit admission that the new speeds - indeed, the entire FTTP network - is still not available to all. While the company has announced plans to expand the network, pledging to hit two million premises by 2020, at present it reaches a mere 327,000 homes and businesses across the UK. For those lucky enough to be included, pricing has been set at a £500 connection fee and £55 per month for the 500Mb/s tier or £80 per month for the 1Gb/s tier.

From bit-tech
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:16:23 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT's Openreach launches gigabit FTTP product
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 09:44:37 PM »

£55 per month will be doable for those who want 500Mbps, compared to £58 (inc line rental) which is what Virgin charges.
Installation cost is steep though, so that alone could price it out of the home market.     Just need more FTTP first.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »

It's starting with a half-price special offer for the installation charge, for the first year.
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/ultrafastfibreaccessbriefings/ultrafastfibreaccessbriefingarticles/nga200316.do

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 04:49:03 PM »

people on high salaries with a desire for such speeds I expect would pay these fee's.  Not a mass market product tho.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 09:37:58 PM »

Would buy, but as I'm not in a trial area or a taxpayer funded BDUK area no can do  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 05:28:05 AM »

Would buy, at half the cost of what I'm paying now, per month ;D for 140 times the downstream speed. But then I'd have to get a much, much faster router. And some actual fibre.

Last month’s bill was ~£160, plus some 3G and a few other small items on top which brought it to over £200 contribution to the RevK’s cider fund. (Beer too? Certainly likes his uisge beatha a lot.)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 01:12:36 PM »

Interesting news.

Can anyone clarify if the £500 connection fee is the only outlay? Or is there potentially still massive "install" charges to get the fibre to you?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 03:35:41 PM »

This is only available if you are in a native FTTP area - its not linked to their 'FTTP on Demand' offerings.

anything