Announcements > Site Announcements

Faster sync speeds on the way? Openreach to rollout 3dB target SNRm for FTTC

(1/4) > >>

kitz:
Good news for those with stable Openreach FTTC lines which could see small increases in their sync speeds next year.
The current default target SNRM is 6dB but with effect from March 2017, the NGA DLM (Dynamic Line Management) may select 3, 4, 5 or 6dB depending upon how stable the line is.

We had been monitoring the Openreach trial of a 3dB Target SNRM on our forum which was undertaken in April earlier this year.  Those users who were on the trial saw their speeds increase and on the whole the trial appeared to be sucessful.

Based on our observations speed increases are roughly in line with the following figures.

~ For existing Sync speeds of around 20Mbps -  each 3dB is worth 3Mbps
~ For existing Sync speeds of around 40Mbps -  each 3dB is worth 6Mbps
~ For existing Sync speeds of 60Mbps or more - each 3dB is worth 11Mbps.

BT wholesale ADSL (copper) lines already have a 3dB profile available to them.  Obviously this increase wont make any difference if you are already syncing at the maximum speed ie 80Mbps or 40Mbps if you are on a 40/10 or 40/2 product.

For more information on BT's DLM see
What is Target SNR Margin
BT DLM system
BT DLM process

Credit to ejs for spotting the change in SIN 498 published Nov 2016

kitz:
It may also be useful to add the speed projection graph done by S.Stephenson here.

adslmax:
No benefit to my line because my line is sync at 79999/19999 but I just wish Openreach uncapped 80Meg to push faster sync rate speed as long your line support it. My line can get 115Meg but Openreach capped it at 80Meg for 2 years now, time to push uncapped.  >:(

skyeci:
I suppose those of us on ECI with high ES lines may have to wait to see if G.INP does ever return next year and then possibly once thats applied we might then see new targets imposed if things settle down??

Ronski:
If its the same as the trial there is no need for G.INP although it would help, I'm on an ECI cab and I'm sure I was on the trial for a while.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version