Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: new build, no fttc and really strange choice of cab  (Read 7693 times)

telent

• Just arrived
new build, no fttc and really strange choice of cab
« on: November 09, 2016, 10:09:08 PM »

Just moved into a newly built house (with a newly allocated postcode too, what fun) and every ISP web site I go to says I can't have FTTC.

Here's my location: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/778+Forest+Rd,+Walthamstow,+London+E17/@51.5918723,-0.0040009,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x48761df9093910f1:0x120775c0243d51d!8m2!3d51.5918573!4d-0.0040967

Here's the ADSL checker for another apartment in the same development (identical results to mine) which says I'm on Cabinet 46 in Walthamstow

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput?buildingnumber=2&buildingname=&thoroughfare=&posttown=&PostCode=e17+4ft&uprn=&URL=&SP_NAME=a%2520service%2520provider&VERSION=42&MS=E&AEA=Y&CAP=no

Here's what the codelook database says about that cab: https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1009266&postcodeloc=15173&cabinet=P46

Note that it's about a mile and a half south of me, which I suppose is a pretty good explanation for why I can't get FTTC if true

Here for contrast is what they say about Cab 46 in Highams Park -  the exchange that serves the postcodes on the other side of the road:  https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1009266&postcodeloc=12490&cabinet=P46

What's the odds that the database has me wrongly listed with the correct cabinet number but attached to the wrong exchange?  If so, what can I do about it?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: new build, no fttc and really strange choice of cab
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 08:37:34 PM »

Welcome to the forums telent.

I do agree that it's very unlikely that you are on Walthamstow P46, there are much closer cabinets, and as you say Highams Park P46 is more likely, or it could be anyone of the other close by cabinets.

When I mapped our local area cabinets I often found postcodes which showed they were connected to cabinets the other side of town, which was most unlikely.

I'm not sure if there is another way nowadays to get a database error corrected, but the only way used to be to email the CEO of Openreach to get them to check the records, and correct them.

Keep the thread updated on how you get on.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 08:55:17 PM »

You can use the form here https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?id=7214&embed if you get an automated reply, keep submitting until you get a human response.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 08:14:06 PM »

Hmmmm .......... new-builds are always a tricky beast to work out remotely, as it is down to the planner as to where he can find a suitable amount of available 'spare pairs' with which to feed the new development.

I've looked at our 'Prints' and can find no rhyme nor reason as to why PCP46 (Walthamstow) would be where he planned your development from, incredibly unrealistic.

The thing is, (as you seem aware), one half of your road (the odd numbers) are fed from Higham Park, and the even numbered dwellings are fed from Walthamstow.

There is a cable showing on our 'Prints' feeding long standing premises such as the Library which is right next to your new-build, and this appears to be fed from SCP41/1 (Secondary Connection Point), which in turn is linked to PCP41 (Primary Connection Point) situated on Waverley Rd/Wood St. It is at the PCP where the DSLAM (FTTC product) is situated, and is approx. 400mtrs from your new-build.

My own opinion is that it would have been the easiest and more cost-effective method to have fed the new-builds from PCP46 Higham Park, as the capacity for the extra circuits required would be easy for the planner to source, but as the two Exchange boundaries (HP and Walthamstow) are split right down the centre of Forest Rd, I wouldn't know if this would be an option ??

telent

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 11:50:21 PM »

Thanks for the responses, I'm learning more about telephone network design every day ;-)

I tried the formwize link a little while ago and quite recently got a response saying "we have forwarded this case to our second level support team" and telling me not to expect an answer in less than 28 working days.

Also I thought that maybe the best way to find out where our line would connect to would be to call their bluff and order one, so I did exactly that last week (via Aquiss, I don't know if any of their employees hang out here but if they do then please feel free to chip in).  The latest via them from OpenReach is apparently that "Your order is currently in the newsites stage and the offsite ducting has started. The estimated completion date is 04-12-2016" - which took me greatly by surprise as I'd thought that developers were supposed to do this kind of work as part of building the houses.   Seems a bit odd that they'd go to the trouble of putting a master socket inside the property if they hadn't done any of the work to ensure it was connected to anything.  Hey ho

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 12:23:25 AM »

Thanks for the responses, I'm learning more about telephone network design every day ;-)

I tried the formwize link a little while ago and quite recently got a response saying "we have forwarded this case to our second level support team" and telling me not to expect an answer in less than 28 working days.

Also I thought that maybe the best way to find out where our line would connect to would be to call their bluff and order one, so I did exactly that last week (via Aquiss, I don't know if any of their employees hang out here but if they do then please feel free to chip in).  The latest via them from OpenReach is apparently that "Your order is currently in the newsites stage and the offsite ducting has started. The estimated completion date is 04-12-2016" - which took me greatly by surprise as I'd thought that developers were supposed to do this kind of work as part of building the houses.  Seems a bit odd that they'd go to the trouble of putting a master socket inside the property if they hadn't done any of the work to ensure it was connected to anything.  Hey ho

Your building contractor will most likely (99%), have installed the internal wiring/master socket inside your premises. It's the way things seem to be done done with new-sites CPM (Critical path methods). Telecoms always the last to be 'invited' to the party to lay their underground infrastructure.

Seeing as the duct-work hasn't been completed, I would humbly suggest there is no point wasting your time on this until it has. It just becomes a guess-work exercise otherwise. 

telent

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 12:28:37 PM »

Seeing as the duct-work hasn't been completed, I would humbly suggest there is no point wasting your time on this until it has. It just becomes a guess-work exercise otherwise.
I'm sure you're right, but that would involve being grown-up, which I've never really quite mastered.  ;-)

Just one other thing I noticed last night when poking at the btw database again:  number 1 has got vdsl availability, despite allegedly being served from the same cab as all the other addresses.  OpenReach have conquered the laws of physics, perhaps we should get in touch with CERN?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 12:45:37 PM »

....OpenReach have conquered the laws of physics, perhaps we should get in touch with CERN?
But is it any concern of theirs? ??? ;D

telent

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 08:59:03 PM »

Well, this is interesting. 

* the adsl checker now says all the properties on the development now have FTTC available

* but I had a phone call this morning from Aquiss saying BT OpenReach are telling them there will be no voice lines until March 2017 (work, nature of which unspecified, to be done by a contractor who is booked until that time)

I guess I'm just glad I have half-decent 4G reception :-/

telent

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 10:08:02 PM »

Progress report, kinda

After much hassle (up to and including an email to the CEO of OpenReach, thanks for that tip) we now have a landline.  Instead of it being attached to cabinet P46, which everyone involved agrees would be a silly idea, they've connected us to P55, which  by all appearances is fttc-enabled and has been for a while.  Got the line, got the number, plugged it into the BT wholesale checker, it was saying 80-72Mb/s max or thereabouts, everything looking good.    But, the day after the line was enabled, all the FTTC products disappeared from the BT Wholesale checker, meaning I still can't order broadband.

Any idea whats going on?

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=6282517&postcodeloc=15173&cabinet=P55

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 10:49:55 PM »

From taking a look at Google Maps Street View, I see that LNWTH_P55 and its "fibre twin" are located in Wyatt's Lane at the junction with Wood Street.

That "fibre cabinet" is equipped with a Huawei MA5616 MSAN (just operating as a DSLAM) and has a capacity for 192 circuits (lines). (Four line-cards with 48 ports per line-card ---> 192.) Once the cabinet has been expanded (to the RH side of the door) and extra tie-cables to/from P55 have been installed, then the line-cards can be swapped out for the higher density version at 64 ports per line-card. That will then allow 256 circuits (lines) to have a G.993.2 (VDSL2; FTTC) service.

Basically I suspect the cabinet is currently at its maximum capacity.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:09:04 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 12:43:55 AM »

That's strange. If it were a capacity issue I would expect the checker to show a waiting list. There's no VDSL multicast showing either which shouldn't be the case if there's an FTTC cab within range. Have you checked the address as well as the number checker? And have you checked nearby neighbours?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

telent

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »

Have you checked the address as well as the number checker?
The address checker still says we're connected to 46.  When I spoke to the engineer who visited (and for that matter the engineers I saw staring at holes in the pavement) that was emphatically not the case

And have you checked nearby neighbours?
Neighbours on our development are all in the same boat as we are.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »

If you've got a contact at the CEOs office I'd suggest getting them to check.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

telent

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 10:44:14 AM »

For completeness' sake, 02085209317 (a dry cleaners shop on Wood St) shows up on BTW as cab 55 and has the FTTC products available
Pages: [1] 2

anything