Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Vodafone (Huawei) HHG2500  (Read 21418 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Vodafone (Huawei) HHG2500
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 11:00:58 PM »

Just as a note have been getting getting three resyncs or PPP drops per day since using vodafone & HHG2500 don't know what the DLM will do to this circuit am absolutely blind to what is going on they occur at 7am 11am and 18:30pm
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:06:20 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 11:29:36 PM »

There is a 27 page Vodafone forum thread which might be worth reading.

I recognise some of the contributors names on the latter pages . . .  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2016, 12:18:26 AM »

Heheh - yeah, a few of us have wandered over!

NewtronStar: what you're seeing mirrors my experience.  A week of that was enough to get my line handed down to 35/10.  I talked my way into getting my details at that time and saw the obviously-banded nice round sync figures via my HG612.  After that, VF were pretty good about getting an OR visit sorted.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:24:22 AM by displaced »
Vodafone Landline+Fibre: Huawei HG612 modem, pfSense router, AirPort access points.  50/10 sync, Huawei DSLAM. GigE home LAN with Netgear ProSafe switches. Mac, FreeBSD and Win10.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »

Just been on the blower to vodafone to ask for my router details and they refused to give it out point blank he said he would probably get the sack by giving me those details and yet he could see my details as we talked

Hello Displaced the stats that I have tells me that fastpath was switched on early monday morning though the silly HHG2500 seems to always say Interleaved path and sync has dropped to 32Mbps that tells me I'm now on the Interleaved profile SNR Target of 6.0 dB.

Now anyone here any good at decryting a 161KB CCF file ?

burakkucat

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2016, 06:47:22 PM »

Not being a user of BGW (Billy Gates Ware) I don't know if this link will be of any use.  :-\

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2016, 06:58:20 PM »

Now anyone here any good at decryting a 161KB CCF file ?

I wondered this earlier, especially as we know what a small section of the text is, it may be possible to decrypt it but seems to depend on what encryption system was used.

BC it's nothing to do with Windows, it's the configuration file for the modem/router
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 07:01:18 PM by Ronski »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2016, 07:03:48 PM »

When you save the config file on the HHG2500 you are asked to input a password of more than 8 characters and one of those must be a capital before it saves the file to the computer

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2016, 07:29:42 PM »

So if that password is used to encrypt the file it may be possible to decrypt it, I suppose it still depends on the encryption method used.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 09:59:06 PM »

The HHG2500 has dropped out 10 times in 24 hours the last one was at 21:42 there was 5 dropouts within 10 minutes @7pm this is just ridiculous fault reported to vodafone  ::)

21.12.2016 21:42:34 PPP authentication successful System
21.12.2016 21:42:34 PPP CHAP authentication started System
21.12.2016 21:42:32 PPPoE PADS received System
21.12.2016 21:42:31 PPPoE PADR sent System
21.12.2016 21:42:31 PPPoE PADO received System
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:11:44 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2016, 10:35:59 PM »

BC it's nothing to do with Windows, it's the configuration file for the modem/router

Acknowledged, thank you. i have never come across "CCF" files prior to reading of them in this thread.

So if that password is used to encrypt the file it may be possible to decrypt it, I suppose it still depends on the encryption method used.

It could be something utterly trivial, such as a byte-wise XOR of the contents of the file with the repeated "password" . . .

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2016, 10:45:46 PM »

The HHG2500 has dropped out 10 times in 24 hours the last one was at 21:42 there was 5 dropouts within 10 minutes @7pm this is just ridiculous fault reported to vodafone  ::)

Did they try fobbing you off with the "Give it 10 days to settle" thing?  They didn't like it when I said I knew that was for ADSL not VDSL :)

Before I joined, I read that their router was a Huawei model, so felt reasonably happy that it would work OK on my line, given the good experience I'd had with the HG612 and the Huawei cabinet with Infinity.  So I was really surprised to see the HHG2500 behaving so badly on my line. 

I feel particularly sorry for those joining Vodafone who didn't have a previous FTTC supplier.  They might get banded due to the VF box's crapness and think that's just what their line is capable of.  At least we know that the problem is the VF box.

I got my details via the Live Chat option -- after a few tries.  On the phone, they said exactly the same to me as you've reported.

As for extracting the info from the router itself, here's what I think we know so far:

• After the initial connection, the router is configured with the user-specific PPPoE details via TR-069.
  • The firmware is also upgraded, with the side-effect that the router configuration is then only available in an encrypted form.
  • VF appears to use a standard PPPoE login - no odd use of DHCP options a la Sky.
  • If other Huawei modems are an example, then the router firmware will contain an AES key used to encrypt the configuration.
  • Other Huwaei devices have had their AES key extracted from their firmware, and tools are available to decrypt/re-encrypt their config files (e.g. https://hg658c.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/hg658c_configtool/)
  • The HHG2500 does not use the same key or (possibly) even the same kind of encryption, as these tools do not work with the HHG2500's configuration file.
  • VF PPPoE details are of the format dslnnnnnnnnn@broadband.vodafone.co.uk, where n represents a digit, with alphanumeric, uppercase/lowercase-mixed passwords
  • The HHG2500's main board does not appear to expose a serial console, although several vias/unpopulated headers appear to be of the correct number of contacts for a serial line or JTAG header.
  • The WAN port, covered by a 'not in use' sticker, is indeed very much unresponsive -- not even establishing a hardware link.
  • The current VF box's firmware has several issues, including:
    • Unstable VDSL connections on known-good lines, leading to banding of the connection by DLM.
    • Poor performance with ~>5 client devices.

It ain't pretty, is it? 

[EDIT]:  As for the CCF file itself, I'm reasonably sure it's been cryptographically encrypted, given Huawei's got some previous form doing that.  I wish I had the mad skillz necessary to poke through the device's address space via JTAG and extract the key.  Sadly, I don't. :(

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:51:00 PM by displaced »
Vodafone Landline+Fibre: Huawei HG612 modem, pfSense router, AirPort access points.  50/10 sync, Huawei DSLAM. GigE home LAN with Netgear ProSafe switches. Mac, FreeBSD and Win10.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 02:19:31 AM »

Think I am on fastpast the DS CRC errors are at 1216 and the uptime is 16 hours

Doubtful - your stats that you posted directly above that showed FEC corrections in both directions which must mean Interleaving is on. 
You may be correct at the reversal of upstream/downstream figures.   It does seem rather high for the Upstream for such a short uptime. Do you have any old stats to compare with and what your previous upstream FECs are?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 02:23:27 AM »

There is a 27 page Vodafone forum thread which might be worth reading.

I recognise some of the contributors names on the latter pages . . .  :)

Oh My.   Ive only scanned a couple of pages.  A fair few unhappy people :/

What gave me a snigger is the excuse that they can't dish out the passwords because the modem is used to control the sync speeds due to them using FTTC for adsl accounts.   Yeah right.  I wont even begin to explain how that is wrong so many times over or else I'd be writing a tome.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 06:15:26 AM »

NS. As an experiment it may be worth connecting your old modem, it will sync but you  won't have internet. This will allow you to see what state your connection is, and if left on overnight and has no resyncs perhaps you could argue that their modem is not fit for purpose, perhaps even that they are in breach of contract, especially when OR say there is no fault with the line.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 06:40:59 AM »

This ain't a fault on your line or even on VF's network...this is just due to the notorious instability of the VF supplied router (which you need to throw in the toilet). You really need to get your login details from VF ASAP, just keep repeatedly calling them, politely telling them a different reason each time you call - with a bit of luck, they'll give in eventually. Good reasons include that you need to VPN through your router or the VF router doesn't have enough ethernet ports (your router eg Asus AC88U has 8 ports).

In the meantime hook up the VF router in 'router only' mode to an Openrech vdsl2 modem, i've heard people do that successfully (look on the VF forum thread), at least that will stop your disconnections for now.

Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:08:51 AM by psychopomp1 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23