Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: Vodafone (Huawei) HHG2500  (Read 27338 times)

bishbashbosh

Re: Vodafone (Huawei) HHG2500
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »

And we have a winner. I'm slightly disapointed it's taken me this long to join all the dots but we're there.

Before I broadcast the process to all (and that will include VF as I'm sure they read this thread) I'd like to test on another router or two to make sure it's not a fluke. Those of you who do not have their PPP creds and that are still using the VF router on VF service, if one or two would like to contact me via private I'll share the process, just as long as you are prepared to share the yes/no result publicly.

I'm fairly sure VF will patch once they know how it's been achieved so I'd like to make sure we have a working process before exposing.

To the mods/admins, are you happy for me to share the process on here?

3b sans VF router as of today.

edit: should have said, I only have access to this forum from home, life just gets in the way.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:19:41 PM by bishbashbosh »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2017, 10:37:31 PM »

Yes indeed.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »

And a "Yes indeed" from me, too.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2017, 07:46:21 PM »

And we have a winner. I'm slightly disapointed it's taken me this long to join all the dots but we're there.

:yay:
VMG8324-B10A Bridge | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Lite

burakkucat

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2017, 08:23:28 PM »

We now await those with a Vodafone service, using the HHG2500, to make contact with 3b via PMs and to try the technique, as independent verification, before the details are made public.

I am unable to test the technique, for although I own a HHG2500, it is un-provisioned and I do not have a VF supplied broadband service. Likewise N*Star is unable to assist, for although he still owns a provisioned HHG2500, he no longer has a VF supplied broadband service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bishbashbosh

« Reply #215 on: April 27, 2017, 07:44:43 PM »

Just so as people don't think this has all gone quiet I have a couple of people trying out on both the current version and on an older version just to confirm how widespread the vector will be. Hopefully it won't be long before we release it.

At this point it's a bit of a fiddle with command line and you'll need a Linux or Unix box but that could happen in VirtualBox.

Can I ask that those contacting me to test the process have a little contribution behind them or are on the VF forum as most have joined just to get the process. Now call me paranoid but there is always the chance that one or more might well be VF employees or developers for VF. Probably not but how do I tell?

What I don't want to happen is the process be given out to a VF representative and this be shutdown before it's even started. Just thinking of everyone. I have my creds so I'm sorted but that was never my end game, I was always going to try and help everyone free themselves from this madness.

Anyway, on other fronts, I believe the information is held static inside the router and does not need the ACS to populate the config every time the router boots as my service has not had ACS for sometime. Also the router has OpenRG and uses lua as a language to interact with OpenRG and SQLite3. I believe the important information is held in a SQLite3 DB and only read from the table at the point a PPP CHAP authentication takes place.

For those who have been able to break the un-provisioned image that was made available earlier on in this thread, it would be very helpful if you could let me know the location of any SQLite3 DBs you may have found.

I'm trying to make the whole process easier for all.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #216 on: April 27, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »

Mr B3 going to say Vodafone support and the tech2 team will be glad there is a way to get the username & password as they are/were sick & tired of customers ringing up to get them, so I would say VF will look the other way the same way as SKY does  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:34:22 PM by NewtronStar »

bishbashbosh

« Reply #217 on: April 27, 2017, 08:53:41 PM »

Hi N*Star, I dare say you are right and I'd like to think so but someone has spent a great deal of time and effort trying to secure this box down, something which could have been done by deft use of ACLs.

Could all be nonsense and this route that has worked for me and I hope for others was actually left there deliberately. I am sure we'll never find out though.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #218 on: April 27, 2017, 09:51:14 PM »

Really enjoying this thread even though I am not a VF customer.  I look forward to reading on how the un/pwd can be found. 

Would releasing the instructions at a weekend / bank holiday maximise the time before a fix could be created and rolled out and therefore give people time to find their details without work commitments?

bishbashbosh

« Reply #219 on: April 27, 2017, 10:30:48 PM »

Not sure if anyone is interested in the PPPoE route but the password for autoconfig@broadband.vodafone.co.uk is V0daf0n3!

I'm going to use this info to build the PPPoE server and see what I can achieve with the now active EWAN port.

miken

• Just arrived
« Reply #220 on: April 27, 2017, 10:49:51 PM »

Also not a VF customer (KCOM FTTH :cool:) but I've followed this thread with interest.

If I remember correctly the plugin system from the previous firmware was using sqlite to store settings. I don't have the files extracted at the moment but I think there were three plugins, I believe one was twonkymedia and there was a VF one. Might not be relevant I don't think I managed to extract all the filesystems. I had a look through some of the decompiled lua.

You probably need to make it as simple as possible for users, maybe a python script or something.

Hope VF don't reset everyones PPPOE details :lol:

bishbashbosh

« Reply #221 on: April 27, 2017, 11:17:35 PM »

Hope VF don't reset everyones PPPOE details :lol:

Don't even joke. I'd hate for that to happen. I suppose what we could do in that situation is turn the tables. If they cannot give the details out then tell them what to set it to. That way they are not breaking the rules.

d2d4j

• Reg Member
« Reply #222 on: April 27, 2017, 11:34:42 PM »

Hi

I have also followed this thread with interest, and well done to you all for getting this far forward

I could be wrong sorry, but as I read, the modem firmware is not working as it should and I just read today that in USA, netgear are been sued for a failure of modem to give expected realistic results on the vm700 model.

I did not fully read the post, but it's on speedguide.net and I wonder how VF may react if a claim was made against them due to the router failure causing a similar issue

As I said, I could be wrong so apologies in advance, due to not having time to fully read other then the tag

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »

Well done!   :clap:

so I would say VF will look the other way the same way as SKY does

hmmm  perhaps a bit of paranoia on my part too, but bishbashbosh could well be correct and caution should be applied for the time being.
Someone has gone to extra-ordinary lengths to make this as difficult as possible.  Whilst Vodafone UK CS & tech may be glad, the orders are coming from somewhere high up. 
We've never seen a situation before whereby staff have been threatened with dismissal and VF would rather let customers exit from contract than disclose a password. 
It would appear to me that whilst their CS dont care one way or the other... someone much higher does.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

bishbashbosh

« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2017, 05:25:29 PM »

To just keep this on the flow, the method of password disclosure has been verified on at least two software versions but we're just a little concerned about the method of disclosure as it might well put all VF customers at risk. Yes it's that serious. The mods and I are having a discussion about how to disclose at the moment and one of us will update soon I hope.

If you have a different firmware version than either 5.4.8.1.271.1.59 or 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.6 could you PM me please. Just to see how widespread this issue is.

I'd like to thank everyone who has assisted in this and to advise those zero post people to just sit tight for the time being, it will come to you.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25