Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

Author Topic: Vodafone (Huawei) HHG2500  (Read 27100 times)

s31teg

• Just arrived
Re: Vodafone (Huawei) HHG2500
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2017, 07:28:06 AM »

Hello All,

I'm looking to acquire the details too. I see some progress has already been made. It's a shame it's not as easy as just using wireshark......

Craigyp

• Just arrived
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2017, 11:02:48 AM »

So I just found out today that I cant change the Vodafone router....

Been on the call to vodafone several times, went through the t&c's with a lady on the phone and we could find nothing saying I can't use my own equipment (apart from section 6.12).

I have filled in a request for DataProtectionAct to get all my account details ect, maybe i might get some luck there but doubt it, in any case makes me feel better.

I have made a complaint and was explained it would go through the management structure and if unresolved will go to Ofcom.

They said its because they are a broadband startup and so don't supply the PPoE details, and as I am not within my 30days (started in Jan 2017) I will be charged to leave, even though I have a new Fibre contract going live on the 20th.

This is my 2nd phone line and I wanted to load balance the two lines with my Draytek, is this even possible to do if I use the vodafone router as a WAN2 or would I have to set the VF router to be in bridge mode and so would require the PPoE details?

Needless to say I am quite upset by this....

d2d4j

• Reg Member
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »

Hi craigyp

Yes, you would use the VF in wan 2 on Draytek (just set wan to dynamic or assign static internal ip of the VF router).

Set your load balance rules as you need , test and your good to go

Just be aware on the wan 2, you will be double nat'd, so if possible in the vf router, set forward all to your wan 2 IP address used in Draytek, and either turn off firewall or DMZ the Draytek IP address in the vf router. Also, turn off QoS and anything else which may slow it down on the vf router

Many thanks

John

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »

Regarding the Vodafone Terms & Conditions, I think 4.5 is telling you that you must use their equipment.

Interesting idea using the Data Protection Act, but I'm not sure that the password would be classed as personal data.

Craigyp

• Just arrived
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »

Hi craigyp

Yes, you would use the VF in wan 2 on Draytek (just set wan to dynamic or assign static internal ip of the VF router).

Set your load balance rules as you need , test and your good to go

Just be aware on the wan 2, you will be double nat'd, so if possible in the vf router, set forward all to your wan 2 IP address used in Draytek, and either turn off firewall or DMZ the Draytek IP address in the vf router. Also, turn off QoS and anything else which may slow it down on the vf router

Many thanks

John

Awesome will give that a go! Thanks!

Craigyp

• Just arrived
« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »

Regarding the Vodafone Terms & Conditions, I think 4.5 is telling you that you must use their equipment.

Interesting idea using the Data Protection Act, but I'm not sure that the password would be classed as personal data.

Also I am no lawyer but I read in

"REGULATION (EU) 2015/2120 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL

of 25 November 2015

laying down measures concerning open internet access and amending Directive 2002/22/EC on universal service and users’ rights relating to electronic communications networks and services and Regulation (EU) No 531/2012 on roaming on public mobile communications networks within the Union"

Point 5 says:

(5)
When accessing the internet, end-users should be free to choose between various types of terminal equipment as defined in Commission Directive 2008/63/EC (4). Providers of internet access services should not impose restrictions on the use of terminal equipment connecting to the network in addition to those imposed by manufacturers or distributors of terminal equipment in accordance with Union law.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32015R2120#ntc4-L_2015310EN.01000101-E0004

Craigyp

• Just arrived
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »

Hmm on second glance that looks like its only for mobile/roaming.

miken

• Just arrived
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »

I think it's important the complaint process is completed, even it it ends up going to Ofcom. The worry would be if this locked in platform became commonplace.
I understand why Vodafone want all users locked into one device, it's giving them a common platform across all the countries they work in. Which obviously makes it easier for them to provide support, I don't see why they can't only provide support to users using the provided kit.

Surely the double NAT "solution" isn't ideal, apart from the the possible issues from double NAT you're still using the subpar modem?

Craigyp

• Just arrived
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2017, 01:59:35 PM »

So after some more reading I don't think what they are doing is in accordance of the Net Neutrality Guidelines.

the:

BEREC Guidelines on the Implementation by National Regulators of European Net Neutrality Rules

Article 3 Safeguarding of open internet access

subsection 3(1) - Providers of internet access services should not impose restrictions on the use of terminal equipment connecting to the network

When I get in touch with someone higher up at Vodafone ill give that one a spin and see what happens!

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2017, 02:10:47 PM »

Just FYI and for comparison
On Gigaclear's FTTP service:

1. On domestic packages regardless of speed package bought you are required to use their provided combined ONT/Router unit (it's a Genexis unit).

2. On business packages (more expensive) you may, if you desire, use your own router attached to their ONT unit however you are required to pay an additional monthly sum for the privilege to do this.

So in short with GC you can use your own router but it's going to cost ya'.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 02:14:42 PM by c6em »

j0hn

• Reg Member
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »

Good luck to you, but you may as well talk to a brick wall with Vodafone.
I managed to talk them in to providing a username/password for my mum's line many months ago but they have completely clamped down on this. I only managed this as I was advised during the ordering process this would be ok. If you read through all this thread you'll see even complaints to the CEO office have no impact.

NewtronStar's case summed it up perfectly. It was very obvious that his circuit was very unstable with the Huawei HHG2500 connected. Vodafone continued to refuse to send over his PPP login details, pointlessly sending OpenReach engineers who found no fault. They choose to release him from his contract at their own expense rather than allow him to use his own device. That's despite the fact the device he wanted to use has passed the MCT.

How is the HHG2500 performing on your line? It wouldn't even hold sync with N'Star, and that's how he got out his contract. You may have more luck if you suffer from similar issues.

The worry would be if this locked in platform became commonplace.
A number of ISP's already do this, Sky being 1 of them. The only difference is that there's a workaround to get Sky's login details.

Hopefully someone will work out how to obtain the PPP login info from this device. I can't see Vodafone changing their policy here.
BT FTTC 55/10 ECI Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924 bridge mode + Asus RT-AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin - minted on MDWS via DslStats

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2017, 04:34:48 PM »

I asked Vodafone 36 times for the PPPoE login details in those 2 month and each time they said it was  company policy to not give out these details to customers and if they were to they would face disciplinary action, and no mention when or if they will ever overturn this policy.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2017, 05:31:12 PM »

Was that Egypt you were talking to?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »

:D No it was mostly Vodafone's tech2 team based at Glasgow.

bishbashbosh

« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2017, 02:58:58 PM »

Just registered here and I had been working on this solo, but from a network side rather than hardware hacking.

Thought I'd just jump in with what I've discovered so far.

You don't need to do anything fancy in regards to the DSL PPPoE creds and packet capture, just use two machines to log in to web interface of the router. One starts a packet capture against "ALL" (not just WAN) , and the other initiates a reconnection of the DSL. You might need to do this a few times to capture enough PPP packets to complete the handshake.

The WAN port is indeed active if you have the latest update 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.6  it's just 10Mbs half so use ethtool to manually set that.

I have success in building a PPPoE server and authenticating the autoconfig@vodafone.co.uk user and issueing a PPP supplied IP address of my choosing over the ETH WAN port and I suspect I could plug that into the LAN port of a vDSL modem and have that complete a full ACS configuration, however, I have an issue with a fully working and provisioned VF router in that it constantly logs that it can't connect to the ACS so I suspect if I had an issue with the router and VF had to reset it, it would probably fail.

That asside, I'm impressed and hopeful with the work that others are doing on the hardware/flash front.

If anyone is interested then I can supply the source code of a C program I have written (I'm no programmer) that I am using to brute the password from the MD5 CHAP packet capture. You cannot use hashcat as that -m 4800 is limited to a 16byte challenge and the Juniper equipment always offers a challenge in excess of that. Probably deliberate.

Now we know that the username is dsl000nnnnnn@broadband.vodafone.co.uk and that the password is length 8 consisting of the usual mixed case alphanumeric but it would assist greatly with probability if those who were lucky to obtain the password could confirm if the left most (or right most) character of the pass was consistantly upper, lower or number. Just to reduce the number we would all need to force.

I can also confirm the username is not connected to the router MAC or serial number, and I also believe the password is random. Vodafone cocked up my account and had to issue a new user/pass but I kept the same router.

Keep up the good work.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:44:29 PM by bishbashbosh »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

anything