Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What could have happened?  (Read 2153 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
What could have happened?
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »

A couple of weeks back both phone and broadband went down due to a network fault. Not immediately after I was back on line there was a resync that increased download from upper 7000 kbps to 8500 kbps, but halved up sync to 444. Down SNR was often well below 3 dB target, and up margin doubled to ~20 dB. Attenuation is still its usual 46.5 dB
For same while I did not pay attention much to DSLStats, because of computer problems and family health worries. However, I chanced to look early this afternoon, noting the down margin was < 1 db, the errors looked horrendous, and QLN was far rougher than it had been, at least before the network fault. There is no obvious line noise with QLT, but I’ll get  my teenage grandson to test for me with a corded- better hearing! ;)
Thoughts?

EDIT https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k0va0uahlg6txr4/AACdq5miCoHVumcLEkGvL1gMa?dl=0
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:52:27 PM by renluop »

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: What could have happened?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 04:52:02 PM »

The upstream issue appears simple - your ISP has capped the upload, and you'll need to ask them to uncap it.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 06:37:27 PM »

The upload has done this before, but subsequently recovered. What is going on with the down link is of the main interest.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »

Having had to reset my domestic circuit breaker, when I powered up my system today I had much difficulty in establishing a connection, although DSLStats was showing one. That was earlier this morning. Only now am I on. Someone on the same PCP did tell me she had seen work going on, so maybe the cause of problems?

With a reset router (relevant or not) the connection still has a crazy down SNRM, and the down sync has once more increased (see attachment).

Should I contact PN with a 30+ minute wait, or may be someone can come up with something? Ideas folks?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 01:18:03 PM »

If DSLstats was showing an active connection but you couldn't access the internet, that suggests that the problem this morning was with your PPP connection, i.e. the login with your ISP.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 03:12:05 PM »

Phew, all seems back to normal for speed and margins, bar for up sync.