Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is this a landline fault?  (Read 1325 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Is this a landline fault?
« on: November 05, 2016, 09:45:20 PM »

My mother has been saying that on occasion when she picks up my her BT DECT phone, she can't hear the person at the other end - i.e. there is no sound coming down the line.

She was blaming the handset but I noticed today that when she tried to call 1471 and 1571 neither worked.

On testing, I found that the calls to both 1471 and 1571 were answered but there no IVRwas heard on the other end (the phone line was sounding a broken dial tone indicating a 1571 message was waiting)

I then tried a test call to a mobile which rang normally and then tried 1471/1571 again - both of which worked normally.

Is this a line fault? If so, anyone have any idea what it could be caused by?

According to MDWS my line over the last few months has varied between 16.1-16.4 attn and when the attn is higher, the tones/frequences used are less - I put this down to the weather but perhaps there is a wiring issue somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Is this a landline fault?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 10:46:08 PM »

Hi gt9

I would plug a pstn/analog wired phone directly into the nte5 master test socket and retry/test

If this works as expected, the fault lies within your internal wiring/secondary sockets

If the test fails, report to your landline provider

Many thanks

John

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Is this a landline fault?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 10:53:32 PM »

Depending on who is your Voice provider then if you can try the Quiet Line Test dial 17070 select
option 2 from the menu and describe what you hear audibly from the handset speaker also put the mic into mute if it has this function

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 10:56:54 PM by NewtronStar »

anything