Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Availability Checker - Downstream Line Rate vs Downstream Range  (Read 2540 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen

Hi,

Something I've always wondered about, when you punch a number into BT's availability checker it gives both a value for "Rate" and for "Range".   Any number I've checked has always given a higher figure for Range than for Rate.   For example Rate might be "Up to 1" while Range is "0.75 to 2.5".  Does anyone know exactly what these figures mean, for example is Rate the IP throughput and Range referring to Synch Speed?

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: BT Availability Checker - Downstream Line Rate vs Downstream Range
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »

I just assumed they are all "sync speed" (actual net data rate), and the different figures are mid, low, high estimates. They could probably drop the "Up to" part as it's fairly meaningless.

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: BT Availability Checker - Downstream Line Rate vs Downstream Range
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 07:58:58 AM »

Fiddling around, because I'm thinking of changing ISP I happened to notice that BT's DSL Checker has updated out "estimated speed" from "Up to 1.0" to "Up to 2.0".  I am still puzzled as to how those figures are derived, if it was purely based on physical parameters then I wouldn't have expected it to have changed, nor would I expect our estimate to be higher than the two neighbours I checked, both of whom are on shorter lines.   It doesn't seem to be based on historical performance either.

It seems to have pulled through to the estimates that some ISPs show, but not all.  For example Plusnet estimates a range of 1-3.5, whereas SSE says "Up to 4.0"