Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Leased line prices and where does it connect?  (Read 2365 times)

thesmileyone

Leased line prices and where does it connect?
« on: October 29, 2016, 10:48:02 PM »

So looking at leased lines - I run a business from home so I have a legit need for 100% uptime or near, and I upload quite a lot of traffic - no specifics there I am afraid.

All I can find is statements like "A few thousand a month" or a random figure of £30,000 for 10gbps leased line... is that £30k a year or a month or one-off....no information.

I don't want to ring up businesses for quotes because I tried that in the old house and got pestered and pestered - they use your tel number "for the quote m8" then ring you none stop at all hours...eugh.

Also 2 tech questions I have always wondered about, say you get a 10gbps leased line on a 1:1 contention ratio. Firstly...how can they support this because the dark fibre lines are only say 100gbps...so 10 people with 10gbps and it is saturated...right? So how can BT support hundreds of thousands of people on say 50mbps when the lines to NY and other parts of the USA etc won't support that? And secondly, where do they plug the other end of this line in from your property? I can understand datacentre - residential property but I can't understand when they say they can do it from a cabinet or exchange...surely there isn't enough "pipe" there for the capacity?

Thanks

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Leased line prices and where does it connect?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 10:14:13 AM »

Hi,

The term "leased line" normally refers to a point to point private circuit.   The bandwidth figure would refer only to the link between the two ends of that circuit.  Price will depend to some extent on the distance between the two ends, but also on how easy it is for the provider to get their connection into each end.   To throw a rough idea, I see we were recently quoted £2,200 per quarter for a 100meg Ethernet between suburbs at the opposite sides of the city. 

Where the term is used to describe an Internet connection, what it normally means is that the ISP has taken a private circuit between the end customer's premises and their point of presence.  That connection would be uncontended, and they may also be guaranteeing your full bandwidth within their own network.  They can't guarantee that bandwidth across the wider Internet, as that's outside their control.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »

Hiya.

The £30k will be per month for 10Gb.

They support these by giving leased lines priority on their network, and ensuring that all leased lines are able to receive maximum bandwidth across their network at all times. Note that this is not the same as ensuring enough capacity is free for all private lines to run at 100% all the time. As long as leased lines never see congestion the operator is doing what they said they would. Most leased lines don't run even close to full pelt, especially those being used for Internet access, the usual suspects for that are links between data centres replicating traffic.

This is done via a combination of either dedicating or reserving backhaul, depending on the size of the link, and ensuring that the core network is never congested, alongside perhaps having QoS in place so that, if they lose a ton of capacity and end up in a congestion condition, the private lines get the bandwidth first.

Network operators will try and scale their networks so that, on the core, no link runs at 50% or higher utilisation. As long as they do this they can lose half of the capacity without customers seeing any performance impact.

The specifics of the leased lines themselves depend on who you purchase from. A private line over fibre will be dedicated back to the exchange. From there it'll terminate on an edge router and be transported over a shared network to wherever it needs to go, unless you are ordering a massive bandwidth line, in which case you'll go into an optical switch, not a router.

I would consider as a far cheaper solution using a router that can load balance and getting 2 x FTTC lines from different network operators. The usual options are TalkTalk Wholesale, Sky, Vodafone, BT Wholesale, possibly Zen.

Alongside those, if possible, a backup Virgin Media cable line, or even a backup 4G line, so that absolute worst case if your local cabinet is wiped out you've at least some access.

thesmileyone

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 10:50:11 PM »

I am with Zen fttc currently, I get 32 down but only 6 up, which is less than 1MB/s which is pretty terrible for upload speed.

If I bonded 2 lines I would get what, 64 down and 12 up? Still pretty slow. Even 330/30 is not fast, to me anyway, and besides, it is not available.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 11:32:25 PM »

Understood. Check http://aa.net.uk/ethernet.html for a ball park price with no need to provide details.