Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is the WBC rollout continuing?  (Read 1602 times)

huwwatkins

Is the WBC rollout continuing?
« on: October 28, 2016, 03:13:32 PM »

Hi
I'm moving to a Market A (20CN) covered area soon. Annoyingly the immediate coverage area of the exchange is inside the Herts BDUK plans but my specific postcode is just outside in the 'white zone'.

This article seems to suggest that exchanges are still being 21CN enabled as part of BDUK plans. My exchange only has 400odd lines so I'm not hopeful - can anyone shed anymore light on whats going to happen to these 20CN exchanges? There can't be many left now.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/02/bt-updates-on-uk-g-fast-sogea-and-slow-speed-broadband-plans.html

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Is the WBC rollout continuing?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 03:29:20 PM »

There are still approx. 2,000 exchanges that BT need to upgrade from 20CN to 21CN - that work is continuing - though these exchanges only cover a relatively small amount of the UK population. Its all funded by BT. They have done the easy exchanges, and are now left with the smaller or more demanding/challenging ones - for instance, where they don't have space to install new 21CN kit prior to removing the old 20CN stuff.

However, FTTC is/has been being rolled out to many 20CN areas - often funded by BDUK - in these cases the FTTC backbone that feeds the FTTC cabinets bypasses local exchanges and goes to a larger 21CN headend/exchange.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »

It's been possible to keep track of the WBC rollout by reading the "WBC National Service Migration Schedule" files from BTWholesale. It's a list of exchanges and dates, including some future dates for future plans.

huwwatkins

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 05:09:04 PM »

THanks - thats the exact information I Was looking for!.

Interestingly - whilst my exchange doesn't look like its being upgrades yet - the small exchanges to the north, south and east all have WBC dates. Hopefully that means mine isn't too far behind.

anything