Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Erratic line behaviour after remote resync  (Read 36386 times)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Erratic line behaviour after remote resync
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »

Hi

Further to this, just been told by partner there are road works/traffic lights by our FTTC cabinet, and just checked on Roadworks.org and sure enough two sets of traffic lights are labelled there with work by BT laying ducting, starting yesterday.  I walked past yesterday lunchtime and no one was there then, but the fluctuations started happening about an hour after I walked past.

Will walk past later and have a look.  Perhaps it is a generator running the traffic light lights causing the fluctuation in SNR!  From the fact it is listed as 8 metres and 1 metre of ducting, that suggests from the PCP up the road a bit, then 1 metre across the pavement to the cabinet.  So perhaps more capacity being added and they need more pairs between FTTC and PCP, although I would have thought they would have put it in originally with space to spare.

Regards

Phil

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2017, 07:48:05 AM »

Hi

Just an update.  There was indeed a generator and traffic lights right by the FTTC cab, so perhaps that explains the varying SNR.  They were digging up the trench that runs from the PCP to the FTTC.  I've had no interruption in service and SNR has gone back to being a flat line again.

The roadworks.org puts the work as "Install 1m of 1 way poly duct in Footway, Install 8m of 1 way poly duct in Carriageway", so perhaps they just needed more capacity between the PCP (opposite side of road) and FTTC to add more pairs or are adding a second cabinet to increase capacity, although the current one doesn't show as full.

Just goes to show how susceptible VDSL is from mundane things happening near the cabinet, whilst my connection rode the noise okay there will be other customers that might have been knocked off completely then had DLM knock their speeds back.

Regards

Phil

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2017, 10:10:26 PM »

....  and here we go again.

Line has been quite bad over the past 2 days and a couple of periods of loss of sync.   Browsing very noticeably affected and unable to surf as pages fail to load.
Speed test 1.9 Mbps.  Unable to stream as it keeps buffering.

Going to have to take the bull by the horns and raise a support ticket.  This has been going on too long.   DLM will hammer me tomorrow.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2017, 10:39:46 PM »

It seems as if a continuous period of CRCs, between 2338 hours (GMT) yesterday and 0325 hours (BST) today, accounted for the the massive number of ES accumulated.  :o

The only suggestion I can make is to power-down the modem/router, disconnect it from the circuit and leave it in that state until late tomorrow morning.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »

I sent a copy of those E/Secs with my fault report.    There's been plenty of times in the past when a power cycle is only a temp fix for at most a couple of days.
Knowing my luck, if I did that then it would clear nicely in time for an Openreach visit and be back again the day after.

Aside from that powering down means I cant stream.  Whilst pain and lack of use of my arm is affecting typing etc, streaming is one thing I can still do. I intend to head off to bed soon and do exactly that as sitting in front of the PC to submit a fault report hasn't helped the pain any and I have a few appts next week, one early tomorrow.

I think there's enough history now to prove something is going on.  Got really fed up with it this evening and its taken me about 2hrs to submit the fault report so I'm definitely going to go through with it this time.    Not exactly convenient timing but it needs to be sorted.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2017, 11:38:55 PM »

Understood.  :'(

I just can't understand what is going on.  ???

The SNRM plot shows oscillations that vary in "intensity" or "depth".
The FEC plot shows a low level just for the US, nothing abnormal there.
The CRC plot shows that intense period of between 16,000 - 18,000 per minute.
The Hlog is not perfect but is quite acceptable.
The QLN plot shows distinct "fuzziness" in all three DS bands.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2017, 12:08:21 AM »

Kitz there is some sort of fault on your line it's the SNRM that says it all and the cycle of those high errored seconds seems almost a monthly occurrence it's like you have two faults on your line, lets hope your ISP sends out an OR Enginners ASAP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2017, 12:26:01 AM »

Ideally it would be Black Sheep (Special Agent, First Class), who would be called from his normal area, to take on the task.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2017, 12:56:41 AM »

BC you have made me think FTTC cabinet/line cards you rarely see any OR engineer working at the FTTC cabinet so there must be only certain individuals allowed access to that cab  :-\
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:03:19 AM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2017, 01:05:58 AM »

. . . FTTC cabinet/line cards you rarely see any OR engineer working at the FTTC cabinet so there must only certain individuals allowed access to that cab  :-\

Ah, yes. That is a very good point.

The contents of any "fibre" cabinet (the twin to a PCP in a FTTC area) is deemed to be "exchange equipment" and, thus, is in the domain of Operate technicians and not that of the Openreach techicians.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2017, 12:35:23 PM »

fully understand why you reported fault kitz, please keep us updated how it progresses

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »

kitz eric's dslstats has a nice feature where you can see bitswaps per tone, it might be a good idea to migrate to his tool at least temporarily and observe what data you get for those measurements as it may point you to a specific set of problematic tones as further evidence.

http://dslstats.me.uk/features.html#Bitswaps
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:51:23 PM by Chrysalis »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2017, 10:01:32 PM »

kitz eric's dslstats has a nice feature where you can see bitswaps per tone, it might be a good idea to migrate to his tool . . .

I'm sure Kitz will tell me if I have remembered incorrectly but I believe she uses both utilities (HG612_stats & DSLstats) concurrently, in parallel.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2017, 10:45:44 PM »

Yes I use both.  I'd already noticed and said on a report I'd started making that the "bitswap increases inline with the oscillations.  Far more bit swap in the lower frequencies."
Engineer is due tomorrow, but typically the line seems to be on one of its better phases atm.   If you notice that started immediately after the remote resync for DLM.  :/

Plusnet have referred it straight to Openreach.   The response to my ticket was results of the GEA test, Radius report and the following notes

Downstream speed 68.1 Mbps
BT estimates: 69.1 to 80
Summary: Will need engineer, sync has dropped below estimates and previous performance.

Then all the usual blurb about please state your 3 prefs for a timeslot and the £65 fee if fault is on my premises.

-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »

well given you failed the GEA test as far as openreach been motivated to do stuff thats a good thing, straight fail due to been below the estimate?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

anything