Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FttDP - when/is it going to happen?  (Read 7920 times)

thesmileyone

FttDP - when/is it going to happen?
« on: October 27, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/07/a-look-at-future-fibre-to-the-distribution-point-broadband-isp-tech.html

That was back in 2013.

I notice my fibre distribution point is approx 8-10m away from me.

So if they introduced that I would get near to full speed? Infact what stops me replacing my copper wire to this distro point with fibre so I get basically FTTP?  Apologies if silly question.

Really hoping I can get 330/30 or higher at some point into this property.

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: FttDP - when/is it going to happen?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 06:08:07 PM »

Infact what stops me replacing my copper wire to this distro point with fibre

It's Openreach's copper wire, and either Openreach's ducts or Openreach's (or possibly an electricity distributor's) poles. And a typical copper DP doesn't currently have any fibre going to it.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:16:46 PM »

Well when they eventually roll out G.Fast if you are within 200m of your cabinet you should be able to get 330/50.

Their aim is to reach most home by 2020.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »

Infact what stops me replacing my copper wire to this distro point with fibre so I get basically FTTP?  Apologies if silly question.

Really hoping I can get 330/30 or higher at some point into this property.

IF BT ever reintroduce FTTPod  (it may even be available to order in some areas) then you can pay to have it installed. Or simply wait for Gfast and if you are lucky enough to be close enough to the cabinet (which is sounds like you may be) you'll be able to order that. BT intend on installing Gfast at exisiting cabinets to start with, it could be years before they feel the need to push fibre further out.

Their aim is to reach most home by 2020.

I thought the aim was to 10 million premises by 2020, which I doubt is even half let alone most  :(
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:12:08 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 08:38:42 PM »

Is 2020 some sort of placeholder future date that's just far enough into the future so that everyone will have forgotten what they said a few years back by that time?

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 09:18:47 PM »

Well after looking at it again the plan for G.fast is 10million by 2020 and then most of the UK by 2025.

After that who knows.

thesmileyone

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 03:25:01 PM »

I am 1.6km from the cabinet, but 10m from the DP.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 07:27:23 PM »

The distance to the DP really means nothing. Even when they roll out FTTdp, it won't be to every single copper DP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 08:44:59 PM »

I am 1.6km from the cabinet, but 10m from the DP.

Well that counts G.Fast well and truly out (at least until BT decide to install further out), and FTTPod would be very expensive.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 08:45:58 PM »

These G.fast FTTdp fiber nodes can be placed underground or at the DP and even in separate cabinet its about the size of a shoe box so plenty of possibility's to get the node as close as possible to the end-user but still it needs to be no less than 500 meters.

One thing about G.FAST it has the same problem as ADSL and VDSL and that is it has to coexist with AM and now FM radio frequency's between 87.5 and 108 MHz so it will need a power cutback at certain frequency's or both will effect each other

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 09:05:04 PM »

I have a chamber just across the road from me, and at about 450 meters it's probably the right distance to get a G.Fast node, but it's going to be years before BT start installing away from cabs. So the few that can enjoy fast speeds now are going to be able to get even faster speeds, which the majority probably don't currently need so won't upgrade. But those at over 450 meters and more who would benefit are going to be left waiting for years.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 09:32:31 PM »

But those at over 450 meters and more who would benefit are going to be left waiting for years.

That will be me at 1000 meters to cab and thinks it will be more like 2027 or 11 years before this tech hits me I'll definitely not be counting down the days to G day as will most likely be 6 foot under by then, and 40Mbps is more than I need but once 4K video becomes the norm on the net then bandwidth will need to increase.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 05:43:11 PM »

I think Openreach should forget g.fast and move on with fibre to the house instead. UK people's had enough with copper wiring.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 03:02:11 PM »

I think given the costs involved even with switching from FTTdp to FTTP let alone Openreach's FTTC plans to FTTP that's a tricky business case to make.

Estates like mine where it's fully ducted to individual premises and there are relatively few apartments, perhaps apartment blocks are a big ask though.

In an ideal world Openreach would be able to deploy FTTP to individual homes and FTTB to apartment blocks, with a G.fast node in the basement, however we aren't in an ideal world.

thesmileyone

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 05:19:03 PM »

I am surprised that buildings like, dodgy council flats aren't on a similar system to Hyperoptic.

Though it would kind of suck if people who don't work all day get 1gbps fibre and the people who do who live in nice, hard-worked-for houses are stuck on FTTC or in some cases, ADSL.

Wouldn't surprise me though. In my old village there was half of it council houses and half of it posh houses and they put the fttc cabinet in the middle of the council estate. Initially the posh side were told they were too far away, so the chavs were on 80/20 whilst the "rich" (middle class rich) were on adsl ha
Pages: [1] 2