Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FttDP - when/is it going to happen?  (Read 7922 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: FttDP - when/is it going to happen?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 11:27:33 AM »

Yes. Whenever BT are forced to.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 01:07:57 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me though. In my old village there was half of it council houses and half of it posh houses and they put the fttc cabinet in the middle of the council estate. Initially the posh side were told they were too far away, so the chavs were on 80/20 whilst the "rich" (middle class rich) were on adsl ha

All sounds sensible economics to me.
The posh types really do have more interesting things to do with their lives than spent it in front of a computer/telly downloading terabytes of 'stuff'.
Or as has been said elsewhere the rich go out for their entertainment and the poor stay in.
So BT would know to prioritise the chav area rather than the posh area as they would get a far higher takeup for FTTC.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 12:48:43 AM »

I was thinking today after BT announced the start of the last pilots;

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/bt-openreach-start-pilot-330mbps-g-fast-broadband-138000-uk-premises.html

If you get G.fast on the initial roll out but your at the very limit what happens if they put a node near to your house, will they re-route you through the node?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 08:31:56 AM »

I guess that depends on where your line branches off, before or after the new node.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »

I guess that depends on where your line branches off, before or after the new node.

The codelook up site has my post code listed as being 825m from the cabinet. The cabinet seems to serve 2 groups of post codes. I'm at the edge of the 2nd group furthest away from the cabinet. I do get reasonable speeds, better than I would imagine I'd get at 825m. So If G.fast was connected to the cabinet I might be able to get a slight speed increase. But if they put a node amongst my group I hope they would cut my line and send it through there.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »

I thought codelookup gave distance from exchange not the cabinet.  At 825 meters g.fast will be no better than fttc, probably worse as it may not use fttc frequencies or back the power off,  much the same way as fttc doesn't use or lowers the power for adsl frequencies to protect them.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 03:42:50 PM »

I thought codelookup gave distance from exchange not the cabinet.  At 825 meters g.fast will be no better than fttc, probably worse as it may not use fttc frequencies or back the power off,  much the same way as fttc doesn't use or lowers the power for adsl frequencies to protect them.

hmm, I didnt know that it was the distance from the exchange to the cabinet lol. That makes more sense :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »

^^^^Distance from exchange to post code (I suspect very roughly)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything