Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Security camera video server, opensource Linux software and other fripperies  (Read 2101 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

Hi!

At home we have a couple of Synology servers, a DS214+ and a DS211j (old one).  The DS214+ is the primary device for network backups and storage etc etc and I use the old one, the DS211j, for only two things :
  • A weekly backup of key files
  • Running Security "Surveillance Station" software with IP cameras located outside

After adding a second IP camera a couple of weeks ago my DS211j has been struggling, with 100% CPU load pretty much all the time - poor thing.  Although quite nice, unfortunately the Synology software for this is not very well maintained and has bugs / inconsistencies so it makes sense to abandon it tbh.

I have any number of shonky old PC's and bits and pieces hanging around and thought I would install Ubuntu on one and run some opensource Security Software on it to take the load off my poor old DS211j.

I might do a bit of a field test with my laptop (which runs Ubuntu) and if it works then I have an old Intel Q8200 with 4Gb RAM which I imagine could run things with ease and maybe try Zoneminder, has anyone done this or got any recommendations for opensource software I could use?

Chz

Chunks

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I personally know someone who uses a Synology NAS to monitor 4 security cameras without any issues :-\

However, that open source ZoneMinder looks good, maybe worth trying it out and seeing if it's any good? :) I'd be interested in how it works out?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

I personally know someone who uses a Synology NAS to monitor 4 security cameras without any issues :-\

However, that open source ZoneMinder looks good, maybe worth trying it out and seeing if it's any good? :) I'd be interested in how it works out?

Yep, I am pretty sure my DS214+ could cope without any issues but the DS211j I am using is a very old unit and I think is lacking muscle, I'm going to have a fiddle first to see if I can solve it.  Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of Synology NASes, they're great, the fact that I am still using the one I bought in 2011 tells its own story, imho

Chunks

anything