Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Nuisance call bosses to face £500,000 fines  (Read 1455 times)

JGO

• Reg Member

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Nuisance call bosses to face £500,000 fines
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 12:14:15 PM »

Sounds good in theory if the directors become personally liable, but they'll find ways round it.  >:D
Now if it was retrospective that would be nice, but that seems improbable.  >:(

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 12:33:31 PM »

@HPSauce.
Yes, it may be nice, but I am against retrospective laws completely, because of the inherent dangers of them.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 04:34:30 PM »

I am against retrospective laws completely, because of the inherent dangers of them.
So am I and I think the whole UK legal system is as well, but we do currently seem to be heading towards pardoning people retrospectively.

So, if we can say that illegal acts of the past resulting in convictions, which we no longer consider as so serious (or even illegal nowadays) can be pardoned retrospectively, then can we not also say that legal acts of the past we now may (retrospectively) consider as illegal and take action accordingly?
An interesting debate to be had there methinks, but one that I will not participate in, especially online.  :-X

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 05:37:18 PM »

I am also annoyed by the stupidity of apologizing for things done by our ancestors, so seemingly we need apologise for Cain's killing of Abel,or William of Harold; ::)"autres temps, autres mœurs" should rule. The debacle of the historic paedo enquiry comes from it all as well, I think.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:30:52 PM by renluop »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:36:28 AM »

I agree in general with the idea that retrospective law is bad law.

In this case, if the only change is making directors responsible as well as corporate entities, then I would have no problem prosecuting directors personally for such acts knowingly carried out or authorised by them or by someone under their reasonable control while they were in charge. If the law contains no change that prohibits additional acts, then I have no problem at all as I wouldn't consider that to be “retrospective”. I'm assuming that the illegal act was illegal at the time it was carried out, it did not become so later. Hope that makes sense.

anything