Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: HIGH PINGS and LOWERED SYNC - after over year of fastpath  (Read 9152 times)

N0STIE

• Reg Member
HIGH PINGS and LOWERED SYNC - after over year of fastpath
« on: October 23, 2016, 05:52:26 AM »

Hi,

After over a year of very stable line on fastpath my router suddenly resynced this morning while browsing internet and what I noticed my pings went up to 20ms from 6-7ms O_O. I had about 7 days of uptime since last time when I was swapping routers (I followed 30mins waiting rule every time). I am wondering what happened? I was on fastpath since I remember with pings of 6-7ms to bbc etc.
Seems like my sync has been lowered to 40k as well but the attainable has stayed the same, and why DS SnR of 6.1dB when attainable is 47k? Upload stayed the same.

After all that happened, I quickly rebooted the router hoping everything will be back to normal but no :///

I just checked the basic tp-link stats through telnet and interleaving depth is 0? I am really confused now...

Anyone advise what to do now as I am really upset :/

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: HIGH PINGS and LOWERED SYNC - after over year of fastpath
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 06:21:12 AM »

I'm not sure how reliable that interleaving depth is, it's probably never filled in with the actual value, which ought to be 1 for "fast path". The higher attainable rate suggests interleaving is on.

Without better stats, and stats from the period before the change, it's impossible to say why whatever happened happened.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 06:40:33 AM »

Thanks for reply.

I have seen many people on MDWS with stable connection, long uptime but with 8ms of delay or more. I am only hoping I won't get stuck interleaved for ever as that would be disaster.

Is there any chance that it will resync back to fastpath next night or in a few days if I leave it alone? Kinda don't want to wait 5 weeks to get fast path back.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:01:04 AM by N0STIE »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 08:02:41 AM »

It's possible, but there's no way to know if and when the DLM will do something.

The trouble is, TP-Link devices don't provide detailed stats (without hacking into them).

Or you may have to wait until sometime next year when Openreach have another go at G.INP on ECI cabinets.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 11:14:40 AM »

If it was a one off noise event it should recover within either about 5 or 15 days depending on what dlm profile your isp uses ( i.e.  standard or fast in most cases but may be stable with some business isp's).  If it due to something that will reoccur during those time frames if will stay interleaved.  As already noted you need more detailed error stats to know your position. 

if your isp uses the standard or stable profile you may want to consider one who uses or allows a fast profile.  The only other action that could be in your control is to cap the sync speed a bit to improve the snrm.  A speed cap is possible with most Broadcom based modems.  A cap to the speed that interleaving gives may be enough and then at least you may get fast path.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 07:00:59 PM »

Thank you guys for reply. My ISP is BT so I guess they allow fast profile as I used to be on that one for quiet long time?

How do I cap sync on W9980? I understand I do that through telnet? And should I do that now or as soon as I will be put back on fast path?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:03:54 PM by N0STIE »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 07:19:47 PM »

How do I cap sync on W9980?

The simple answer is: you can't.

The longer answer is: it might be theoretically possible, first you'd have to hack/unlock the 9980, which isn't that difficult, and would also provide access to more stats, but then to attempt to cap the speed, someone would have to work out an awful lot of hexadecimal you'd need to enter, which would be extremely difficult to get right.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 08:18:11 PM »

The simple answer is: you can't.

The longer answer is: it might be theoretically possible, first you'd have to hack/unlock the 9980, which isn't that difficult, and would also provide access to more stats, but then to attempt to cap the speed, someone would have to work out an awful lot of hexadecimal you'd need to enter, which would be extremely difficult to get right.

Alright, I am going to wait and will see what happens in the next hopefuly few days.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 08:15:34 AM »

A little update.

I forgot to mention that I rebooted the router as I noticed my US SnR was 6.8dB so I thought I could gain some more upload. I rebooted it around 8pm just few hours before DLM intervened at 4am. Before I rebooted it the uptime was around 6 days.

Might this be a reason for DLM to interleave me? If so, does it take longer for DLM to put me back on fastpath than someone with burst of errors? I don't really believe I had any bursts of errors as my line was solid stable for more than a year on fastpath without any resyncs (unless I forced it). But on the other hand I really doubt single resync caused it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:21:17 AM by N0STIE »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 12:58:33 PM »

Even a line on a stable profile will withstand 4 user initiated resyncs a day without the DLM taking action.  If the resyncs were due to errors the DLM may well respond but only due to the probable error count.  Generally errors are high enough to bother the DLM  before resyncs due to the errors occur, so no resyncs does not tell you much about error levels.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 10:54:21 PM »

Thanks for reply.

Well as I said, if it doesn't come back after a week, I will probably purchase HG612 3B to see what's going on. I assume HG612 3B works with TD-W9980 as a router even tho it doesn't have WAN port?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 07:39:05 AM »

The features listed for the TD-W9980 include "Versatile Connectivity: VDSL/ADSL or Ethernet WAN for multiple Internet connection types", so I think your assumption is correct.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9980.html#overview
  Eric

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 08:20:43 AM »

I assume HG612 3B works with TD-W9980 as a router even tho it doesn't have WAN port?

It does have a WAN port. Port 4 is a LAN/WAN port depending if 9980 is configured in Wireless Router mode or xDSL Modem Router mode.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 09:10:14 AM »

Thanks for reply.

Well as I said, if it doesn't come back after a week, I will probably purchase HG612 3B to see what's going on. I assume HG612 3B works with TD-W9980 as a router even tho it doesn't have WAN port?
last time I dropped from fastpath to interleaving it took exactly 10 days to return to fastpath. If you're waiting a week, you may as well give it 10 days. I recall it also taking 10 days for kitz line to return to fastpath recently.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »

It does have a WAN port. Port 4 is a LAN/WAN port depending if 9980 is configured in Wireless Router mode or xDSL Modem Router mode.

I just realised it has WAN port indeed (looked at the back of the router)  :lol:

last time I dropped from fastpath to interleaving it took exactly 10 days to return to fastpath. If you're waiting a week, you may as well give it 10 days. I recall it also taking 10 days for kitz line to return to fastpath recently.

Thanks j0hn for giving me some more hope 😆

I ordered a cheap used HG612 3B from ebay last night anyway in case if fastpath doesn't return. I'll give DLM 1 more week then connecting HG612.

I am not sure if this is relevant but super high amount of errors (pkts) appeared on upstream last night on my TD-W9980. The number is 49646854230 lol.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:09:19 PM by N0STIE »
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything