Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Protecting Your Privacy In Emails  (Read 6137 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Protecting Your Privacy In Emails
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 11:31:24 AM »

Hi

Many thanks for the example

The company are not adding their details into email

It is the external IP address has an rdns of mail,thisfirm.url,  and not a default rdns as your second example

Many thanks

John

The laptop is using DHCP for IP address, Do you think if I set it to static and use the same IP but try the Gateway IP for DNS. ?

Thinking about this you say 'external IP address has an rdns' so the above will be no good !.

I did try to view the Gateway IP address in a web browser and it seems to bring a 'ThisFirm's web page up.

I then did the same with the DNS IP address and got a 'login' page for there internal mail server  :o .

I can access the laptop via 'Teamviewer' from home.

Not sure taking it up with the 'ThisFirm' is a good idea, what if I took it up with the I.T. firm ?, or just forget about it.  :(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 11:54:52 AM »

Hi tickmike

Personally, I would forget about it.

Yes, the rdns (PTR) is on the external IP address and the only reason it is showing mail.thisfirm.url is because they use a mail server on that IP address

I would use sevenlayer advice if you feel it is a security risk - i.e. Use webmail for gmail, then the headers would only show it was sent using webmail

I would not bother with VPN, as your IP may still be viewable (our billing platform attempts to detect VPN users and we stop the sale going through), but also, the internal network maybe set to not pass through or block unauthorised VPN - on our networks we do this

Many thanks

John

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 11:58:26 AM »

How many of the recipients of her emails will be looking at the headers, how many will even know how to look at the headers. I think she will face many more dangers in life than somebody knowing where she works.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 12:05:22 PM »

Hi licquorice

She also lives at the premises

You raise a valid point though and another valid point is tickmike knows she lives at premises, whereas I suspect not many people would know this, so the address been known for where the email originated from, is not of much use, given that most people do not have a mail server at their home address

Many thanks

John

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 12:21:53 PM »

Hi licquorice

She also lives at the premises

You raise a valid point though and another valid point is tickmike knows she lives at premises, whereas I suspect not many people would know this, so the address been known for where the email originated from, is not of much use, given that most people do not have a mail server at their home address

Many thanks

John

She lives at an address owned by the company, not necessarily the address of the company.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 12:36:36 PM »

I think the best solution would be to have gmail's page bookmarked and allow cookies for it. So just clicking the bookmark will take her in to gmail's webmail hub.

I've noticed a few years ago when I was using the BT Home Hub with its set dns that even though I had changed the dns on the computer, for some reason the hub dns took priority, which was unusual (since I got rid of the HH I've been able to set my own dns). So on some setup's they must be able to add their details in to any program going through their network.

If you use the webmail service then it shouldnt be in the email header. Maybe get her to send an email via the gmail website and look at the header information to see if the company name is in.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 04:12:47 PM »

Hi tickmike

Personally, I would forget about it.
It is difficult .

Yes, the rdns (PTR) is on the external IP address and the only reason it is showing mail.thisfirm.url is because they use a mail server on that IP address

I can not get my head around why the laptop network settings are showing it is using there mail server for DNS  :o
What if I change it to use say Open DNS or even 8.8.8.8 googles DNS servers.

@Bowdon   re' Maybe get her to send an email via the gmail website and look at the header information to see if the company name is in.'
I will get her to try that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On her laptop I have an automatic back up system to my server at home and that sends me an email using  'sendEmail' via the comand line, looking at one of them at the headers/source code I can also see the rDNS company name on that as well  >:D.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 05:10:25 PM »

Hi tickmike

Sorry, you cannot change or stop the rdns and changing DNS settings, will make no difference

You can have lots of services running on the same server, DNS, email hosting etc... and all using the same external IP address, as they use different ports

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 05:24:57 PM »

Hi

@bowden - diverting DNS is not the same as injecting or adding additional headers to email. On the HH, you can change the dns to use another DNS other then bt.

To be fair, if you run your own mail server, depending upon the mail software, you can strip or add information to the headers. We do this when email passes through our filters, and is used to help with issues or reasons for email been spammed/not sent etc

@weaver - all mail platforms should use TLS 1.2. SSL is deprecated and stopped late last year/earlier this year. Your email client will negotiate the exact encryption to be used, and mail platforms, if setup correctly, should always attempt to use the highest encryption available from the email client

Many thanks

John

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 06:26:47 PM »

Hi

@bowden - diverting DNS is not the same as injecting or adding additional headers to email. On the HH, you can change the dns to use another DNS other then bt.
No you can't. Maybe on a Business HH but definitely not on a Residential HH.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 06:34:28 PM »

Hi dray

Many thanks

You definitely can on businessHH

I have no experience of residential HH

Many thanks

John

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 10:02:15 PM »

I got my daughter to try 1. Eclipse web mail and 2. gmail web mail, there was NO details of the firm in the message source data when I viewed the data .

Is this expected ?.

We are with Eclipse (Kcom) at home .

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »

Hi tickmike

Yes, that is expected

Your external IP used to access webmail, is logged in the hosting server, but your email sent using webmail, is using one of the hosting external IP addresses, and your headers will reflect that the email has been sent using webmail.

Many thanks

John
Pages: 1 [2]

anything