Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rapidly increased IP Profile/Speed on Netgear Firmware  (Read 9306 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Rapidly increased IP Profile/Speed on Netgear Firmware
« on: April 16, 2008, 01:11:30 PM »

In my area I can get a max of 4.5mb.

I used to get 4MB but suffer disconnections once a day, but I would still sync at enough to give me 4MB.

My ISP got BT to increase my SNR to 9 to stop the disconnections, which worked but gave me a max of 3.5MB. This was around a month ago.

This morning my IP Profile was 3500 and my sync was around 4050. I rebooted my modem, and immediatly I had a sync of 4650, and my ip profile immedialty increased to 4000!

This is since upgrading to the latest firmware on my netgear dg834g so not sure whether it's this that's done it for me.

The big test will be this evening because I always used to disconnect between 6pm and 8pm - if this happens, I will suffer because my IP profile will drop to 3500 because of the drastic drop in sync. I'm hoping the new firmware solves this though, although if my SNR is slightly raised to 9, I doubt it, but it's worth a try.

Must say, I didn't know IP profiles updated that quickly, usually take 3 days. I did check my ip profile last night and it was 3500, this morning when I rebooted it went to 4000.

I think maybe if you sync higher or lower by 500, your ip profile must auto increase immedialty.

MY STATS AS OF 1.12PM TODAY:

Connection Speed     4672 kbps     448 kbps
Line Attenuation    49 db    14.5 db
Noise Margin    8 db    21 db
IP PROFILE 4000
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 01:16:21 PM by jaydog »

emgee

Re: Rapidly increased IP Profile/Speed on Netgear Firmware
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:42:41 PM »

Almost an exact situation to mine. Same router, SNR drops in the evening. The firmware upgrade a definite improvement leading to an improved IP profile, though I had to wait 3 days ???
For some reason though, after a couple of days stable, it started to detiororate again in the evening, from a target SNR of 12db, down to almost zero at times, though it did hang on. I hope it stays stable for you.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »

what, so now you dont get disconnected at the higher sync rate, wheres you did before the firmware upgrade?

emgee

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »

what, so now you dont get disconnected at the higher sync rate, wheres you did before the firmware upgrade?
Yes, I was able to hold on to a 4800 sync through the evening, totally impossible with the previous firmware, which was unstable at anything below 4000.  I still feel there could be improvement in my SNR though, so am currently trying a Speedtouch 585v6

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 04:56:50 PM »

improvement...you mean an even higher ip profile/sync than 4800? whats the max in your area though?

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 05:21:18 PM »

The Broadcom chipset will not allow a higher sync speed over the TI-AR7 chipset. This is the sole reason the Ar7 is better on long lines. If you are currently stable with the Netgear then i would be surprised if you are not stable with the SpeedTouch.

Leo

Just to add, this should be in the Netgear firmware feedback section.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 06:07:52 PM »

sorry not sure i know what your talking about there.

emgee

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 06:52:55 PM »

improvement...you mean an even higher ip profile/sync than 4800? whats the max in your area though?
It's more about stability/SNR. With the netgear, even with the new firmware, the noise margin varies by as much as 10db over 24 hours. That leaves me with no leeway to get the target reduced. With the speedtouch, in the 5 days since I received it, it has only varied by 3db. I'm currently synced at 4160, but with a noise margin of 15db. Lowering that to the default 6db or even 9db should give me a nice boost. My downstream attenuation is 47db, so an IP profile of 4500 is  possible.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 06:59:34 PM »

The Broadcom chipset will not allow a higher sync speed over the TI-AR7 chipset. This is the sole reason the Ar7 is better on long lines. If you are currently stable with the Netgear then i would be surprised if you are not stable with the SpeedTouch.

Leo

Just to add, this should be in the Netgear firmware feedback section.

Sorry Leo but I don't agree with that and it's not what I find...  :no:

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 07:22:54 PM »

mine is 49dB but i doubt i would ever get 4500, i think you would be very lucky to:

1) get a profile of 4500
2) get bt to put your snr back to how it was

so your saying the speedtouch works better than the netgear?

emgee

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 07:39:25 PM »

mine is 49dB but i doubt i would ever get 4500, i think you would be very lucky to:

1) get a profile of 4500
2) get bt to put your snr back to how it was

so your saying the speedtouch works better than the netgear?

Well, it clearly handles the noise margin more efficiently. I think I have a good chance of getting the target reduced through my ISP, as others have done successsfully. I'm just trying to get the best out of my line, so only time will tell.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 07:44:51 PM »

i tried the speedtouch and it was no better than the netgear.
the netgear had big improvements for you, as hopefully it will tonight with me. SNR has gone to 0 once but then picked up and gone up to 4 again with no disconnection.
i may get a 4500 profile if my isp will get bt to lower my snr, as the original problem must have lied with my router....of course this may change if i get a disconnection in the next hour!

if no disconnections by monday, il contact my isp and request my snr to be reset as it is 9 at the moment - or should i??? if all is good and i dont disconnect and keep my 4000 profile, is it worth asking my isp to reset my snr to attempt 4500? or could this mess everything up? mind you, new firmware seems to keep it at 4000 so even if snr is reset, worst that would happen is id keep my higher 4000 right?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:55:50 PM by jaydog »

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 08:14:03 PM »

update:

i havent lost sync at all which is fantastic. must be the new firmware. lowest snr i have had so far is 1 for about a minute, its been steady between 2 and 5 all evening rather than between 1 and -1

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 09:31:18 PM »

sync has decreased from 4700 to 3950, but no disconnection?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 07:58:25 AM »

You must have had a disconnection to drop the sync, without noticing it.

Jaydog, perhaps you just need to be content with a 4000 profile, otherwise all these disconnections are going to force the DLM to increase your SNR margin again. Don't say you weren't warned when it happens!
Chris
Pages: [1] 2