Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DVD-RAM disks and DVD marker pens.  (Read 1746 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
DVD-RAM disks and DVD marker pens.
« on: October 15, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »

The two are only slightly connected, but it saves boring you all with two threads. I'm kind! :angel:
1).
I found some DVD-RAM disks in my muddle. Are they ever used nowadays, and have they any residual use purpose?

2). It seems that whatever pens I buy to write on optical media, I find them dried on use. Perhaps it's just me, who doesn't use them frequently, but are some that keep fresh longer term than others?

Recommendations?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: DVD-RAM disks and DVD marker pens.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »

My answer to query (2) . . .

Back in 2007 I purchased a set of "Strand Multimedia Markers" from my local branch of Tesco. There were either three or four in the pack. One black, one red and one blue, for certain. I kept the black and the red whilst giving the blue (and possibly the fourth one) to my brother-in-law. The black and red markers are still viable, nine years on.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 11:56:54 AM »

It seems that whatever pens I buy to write on optical media, I find them dried on use.

I've noticed this lately too and thought it was me. I wondered if it was because the ones I bought more recently had a thinner nib.   
Years ago I used to use Pentel Permanent markers and they would last for years  (we used them at work where they needed to be permanent) and didnt seem to dry out... but they can be quite expensive unless you buy the multi-packs.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »

I use a Stabilo Write-4-all for CDs, and it seems to be lasting for ever.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 01:00:08 PM »

My current CD marker pen is branded 'Staples Duramark'.  I can't remember when I bought it, but I'm fairly sure I haven't been to staples in the past 3 or 4 years.   :)

Stating the blindingly obvious... no pens like being left with the cap off, but I find that permanent markers in particular are very unforgiving.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 01:23:43 PM »

Understood about leaving caps off, but my latest are Fellowes', only the green one left. It just about works, but is so faint as to nearly be invisible. If I could get one that works would be good, but even better would be something with a finer point. I had some recordings transferred from tape to disc over 20 years ago for me by son-i-l and the red fine point titling is still pristine.

Another example of Patrick Hutber's aphorism, "improvement means deterioration", I think may be.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 02:17:42 PM »

My Staples pen has a very fine point, that's what I like about it.   There is no size marked on it, but fairly sure it is 0.5mm, both from memory and by drawing a line and measuring it with vernier calipers.   That's fine enough to be useful for signing debit/credit cards, as I find ordinary ballpoint ink goes smudgy long before the cards are due for renewal.

Unfortunately  I had a look at the current Staples website and can't see mine, maybe they no longer make them.    I found marker pens of same brand name, but they don't look to have nearly such a fine point. :(

Must remember to look after the one I've got. :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 04:24:51 PM »

My Stabilo pens are 0.7 mm, and they're still available. I also see that one of the reviewers makes the point that they're particularly good for CDs/DVDs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stabilo-Write-4-all-Permanent-Waterproof-Assorted/dp/B001J8KBI8
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 04:56:10 PM »

I use Sharpies from Tescos. Quite cheap in multiples. They do dry if the tops are left off but reasonable life otherwise.
Tony

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 08:28:17 PM »

I have a set of TDK CD-R pens (black, red, green, blue) which are still working 15 years on since I first bought them.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."