Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Jar openers.  (Read 4027 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Jar openers.
« on: October 14, 2016, 07:48:21 PM »

Strange subject, I know but there must be others like me who struggle.  I have partial numbness in my arm and thus no grip in one hand.   

For years Ive had something like this which cost a couple of quid from Tescos.  Unfortunately its now past its best because it's bent out of shape and so now cant be used with large jars. (It used to) before it got bent.  (Although it still works a treat on wine bottles - both screw cap & pulling corks out of Processco) :D ;)

Ive tried replacing it with one of those rubber cap grip things, which tbh I find totally useless. 
Ive also tried one of these types of which isnt as flexible and doesn't open things like large jars of pickles.

Having just struggled in vain with a jar of beetroot and the resulting pain :'(,  I really need to replace it with something that is simple yet does the job properly.
Yep metal type may look fugly, but with it being wrench type I could 'hook' the jar with one arm and use the opener with the other regardless of jar size, the metal teeth giving a good grip on the jar lid and therefore minimal leverage needed.   I'm just a bit shocked at the price of them now considering my old one was only about £3 and wondered if there was anything better out there that anyone knows of.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:55:40 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Jar openers.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 08:47:32 PM »

I wonder about these https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOA-11022-Baby-Soft-Grip/dp/B002HMRU34

Thanks, those are what I'd seen and wondered if they were any good.  Has anyone had any experience with that type of opener?

and these https://www.amazon.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-BOTTLE-OPENER-DISABILITY-KITCHEN/dp/B00N2PI8Q8

I'd disregarded anything that like ... although that particular one has teeth which should make it better grip wise, I could imagine it still being restrictive with jar size like with the black one I have is and is unable to open larger jars. 

and I'm starting to consider these as well https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safe-Easy-Opener-Mobility-SupaHome/dp/B01H2T3IB4
I've become quite adept at flicking the ring pulls on cans of coke (where they push in) with one hand.
Levering of cans of baked beans where you need still need to grip the can with the other hand is more tricky, so I can see one of those being handy.
 - yeah the pun was intentional.  :-[
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:00:22 PM »

PS, just edited my first post to clarify that the wrench type that I had used to work fine ... until it got bent out of shape. 
The jaws now get further out of alignment, the wider the handles are open.. ie when used with large jars but why it still works ok on smaller bottles and jars. 
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 11:25:15 PM »

Ive tried replacing it with one of those rubber cap grip things, which tbh I find totally useless.

Not sure I am talking about the same thing you found useless, but the best jar opener we've ever had was simply a flat, slightly ribbed, rubber disc, about 5 or 6 inches diameter.   Totally uninspiring in appearance, but it was designed for the job, and worked better for us than the various elaborate wrenches we've tried.

But neither of us has any kind of numbness, we just use it to overcome jars that are too tight.  That fact it works for us does not mean it'd work for you.   And anyway, judging from online reviews on Amazon, some brands / specimens of these discs  may be made of more effective material than others, maybe we were just lucky and got a good one.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 11:39:14 PM »

The problem with the thin rubber disc is that you still have to grip the jars and a lot of them are too big to grip, pickled onions for example

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 01:15:22 AM »

I have a 'strap wrench' for removing an oil filter on cars, It is the same principle as opening jars.
If I remember I will try mine on a jar.
You would not bend the one I have  :o
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 07:28:47 AM »

The best tip I was given for stubborn jar-lids was by my Grandma and Grandad, some 40yrs ago. Basically just tap the lid at various points around the circumference with a butter-knife or similar, and voila ...... said lid becomes loose.

NB ... a certain amount of grip is still required, so may not suit some.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 07:49:48 AM »

A tight metal lid can sometimes be loosened with warm water - it expands slightly but the glass doesn't.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 09:52:20 AM »

Mrs Weaver uses a tool, called Mr Weaver.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 12:52:40 PM »

We have one just like your original probably from the same source. A search for jar opener on Ebay produces several for about £3 or so and they look similar to ours. Argos also have them.
Tony

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 05:11:48 PM »

I seem to recall that such devices (as described in Kitz' opening post) were available via the "Betterware" catalogue, some years ago.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 10:27:50 AM »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

>> a flat, slightly ribbed, rubber disc, about 5 or 6 inches diameter.

Sounds like the one I have, but I dont seem to be able to get a proper grip with it especially on large jars.  I only have lickle hands :)
It does have its use though as a non-slip matt for standing jars on when opening. :)

I've chucked one of the Boa strap wrench tools in my amazon list, as via another supplier its free delivery, so I will add it to another order later, its probably useful to have for various things not just jar lids.
---
Ive also found that Tesco's do still retail the type I had, only rather than own brand like my last one, its made by Brabantia.  At £7.25 its cheaper than the others on Amazon etc. I'll have a wander down to the big Tesco's on t'other side of town at some point and see if they have them in store there. [/url]

Then just searching for Brabantia on Amazon pulled this up - link -  Into the basket it goes :)
D'oh and when I added it another type that Ive not seen before came up as other people bought - link.

----

And now Ive found exactly the type I want on ebay for just £3.
Sorted should be here in a couple of days  :)

>> A search for jar opener on Ebay

Why is I spent ages trying to find something the other night without success, yet now I've found exactly what I was looking for  ::)
I did look the other night honest and on Argos too.  I don't know why I couldn't find one then.  My excuse shall be I was in pain at the time.   :-[  ;D
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 11:12:35 AM »

Mrs Weaver's general tip - “Oxo” kit.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 05:03:55 PM »

We use two different ones regularly that we actually inherited.
The first is like the second one in Kitz' first post (plastic with a row of different sized overlapping holes).
The second is the "boa" type with the sturdy strip that you wrap round and is fed into a "wavy" slot.
I try them both and see which works best, not been defeated yet!

As noted above, a bit of hot water poured over the metal lid will expand/loosen it and often is all that is needed.
Pages: [1] 2

anything