Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Straight-through non-filtering faceplate, for no-telephone users  (Read 2460 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

I was asked a question just now about what to do if you only use DSL, no telephones. This is my reply
--
If you don't use POTS telephones, then you may get a slight improvement by not using any filter as everything you insert reduces the signal level very slightly. If you have a short line (=strong signal) then this may not be very significant.

Some devices have filtering in them that may help with a really noisy line. I would ask Burakkucat about this matter.

So actually comparison testing is the only way to know which will give the best performance and reliability.

To operate without a filter, you have two options. You can either use a BT-to-RJ11 lead (must be a very high quality short one, using twisted pair and possibly shielded) with the same plugs as on those used to connect dial-up modems to the phone socket, and with such a lead, just connect straight into the test socket, which you access by removing the lower front half of the NTE5.

Or you can replace the lower front half of the NTE5 with a straight-through replacement lower-half faceplate, as I do. These can be obtained from the AAISP shop
     http://aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html
I'm not sure about the fit with very recent NTE designs as now Openreach are supplying NTEs that take faceplates that clip on rather than being retained by two screws, so you would need to have two screws on the front.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Straight-through non-filtering faceplate, for no-telephone users
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 10:15:44 PM »

The NTE5C is the new type of master socket and won't fit these straight-through faceplates, is that correct?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 10:17:38 PM »

Recommendations for VDSL2 users?

What applies to me on my slow ultra-long ADSL2 line won't necessarily apply to FTTC users?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 10:55:03 PM »

The NTE5C is the new type of master socket and won't fit these straight-through faceplates, is that correct?

Yes, correct.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 11:01:17 PM »

Recommendations for VDSL2 users?

The most recent SSFP compatible with the existing NTE5 fitted at the premises.

What applies to me on my slow ultra-long ADSL2 line won't necessarily apply to FTTC users?

Correct. For your usage case, I can see that three LJU2/1As would actually be more appropriate than three NTE5s.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything