Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) upgrading multiple external links to 10Gb (each)  (Read 2612 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

RevK of Andrews and Arnold reports that they are replacing external 1 Gb/s links with 10 Gb/s ones asap. Bandwidth to the wholesale carrier TalkTalk is going to 2 * 10 Gb/s, transit links also to be upgraded similarly. Total through-ISP capacity should go up to 24 Gb/s and current traffic sometimes hits 4 Gb/s.
    http://www.revk.uk/2016/10/to-ten-gigabits-and-beyond.html

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

So they're spending lots of money, and talking about increased network usage allowances too, for some of their tariffs. (But not for me, unfortunately.) Anyway, doesn't sound like a recipe for higher dividends to shareholders - they don't seem to be run by accountants.  ;D

If they had more users, or more bandwidth-hungry users, especially business users, then perhaps economies of scale would bring per-byte costs down?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

:)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

psychopomp1

• Reg Member

As good as AAISP are, they're a little late to the party  :-[ Vodafone already use multiple 10gb/s 'pipes'  at exchanges they've LLU'd so chances of exchange congestion for Vodafone customers (on LLU exchanges) is extremely small. TalkTalk retail & Sky only use 1gb/s pipes hence why you see reports of exchange congestion from time to time with these ISPs - though they do eventually add more capacity.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

I think this is referring to links from carriers and transit partners only, not to exchanges, as that is up to the carriers AA use - BTW and TT. AA doesn't do LLU themselves ever, afaik.

And it all depends on how big you are. Presumably AA is a minnow, and eg Vodafone much larger?

psychopomp1

• Reg Member

I think this is referring to links from carriers and transit partners only, not to exchanges, as that is up to the carriers AA use - BTW and TT. AA doesn't do LLU themselves ever, afaik.

Ok, understood. But going slightly off-topic, if there is TalkTalk congestion at an exchange will that affect AAISP customers using TT backhaul as well? Or do AAISP users on TT have their own dedicated virtual paths (VPs) on TT enabled exchanges thereby making them immune to exchange congestion? (thats assuming AAISP have purchased ample bandwidth from TT)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

AUIU they use VLANs/VPs. Resold 'LLU' belongs to TTB and as such traffic is separate from their own retail customers, but may be shared with other TTB users.

>> and eg Vodafone much larger?

Yes they bought out and expanded on the old C&W backhauls.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

Because AA monitor every line from second to second, they can presumably get a sense of exchange congestion. I know that they have been kicking BTW where exchanges are congested and nagging them to upgrade. I pay for elevated priority within the BTW network.

But I couldn't say about TT lines, can't remember. I would assume AA just do the same. AA publishes a regular congestion report on the website, covering BTW and TTB lines separately.

anything