Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pop up issue?  (Read 8089 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Pop up issue?
« on: October 05, 2016, 09:03:35 PM »

Hi.
I generally view the site from my s7. Just recently when I visit  the site and click on a post I get a  pop up spam advert which is annoying to try and get rid of. Whilst not implying any issue with the site can anyone offer some help please. I have scanned the phone and run anti virus but cant find any issues?

Many thanks
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:20:44 PM by skyeci »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Pop up issue?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:25:55 PM »

What does the popup say?   
I dont display any popups at all.  The only ads are in the header (near the logo).
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:28:07 PM »

Its an ad for tesco. Will try and grab a shot of it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:37:25 PM »

skyeci I suggest reviewing apps on your phone also, as it may be one injecting the popups.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 10:59:45 PM »

skyeci has sent me a screenshot of the image (attached below).

I'm pretty sure that it isnt anything to do with this site, there seems to be quite a lot of these sort going around atm, possibly introduced by a downloaded app.  Do you use facebook, as that is another place where some of them seem to originate.   Ive seen something similar myself on the PC which was in effect from a link which was on my fb wall.

I note that chrys has also suggested it may be from an app.   Try rebooting into safe mode and see if its still happening.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 11:00:50 PM »

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 11:01:52 PM »

-----

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 11:17:50 PM »

Thanks for the links/tips. Will look into this. The weird thing is its only happening when I visit kitz.. ::)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 11:21:51 PM »

Yup still happening in safe mode ???

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 12:10:18 AM »

Any possibility that rather than a pop up, you are accidentally clicking on an ad-banner?

That happens to me a lot these days on my ancient iPad 2.   There is such a long lag between tapping and getting a response that it is tempting to tap again.   But the second tap lands in an area that, when the first tap responds, is an ad-banner, and I see effects similar to described here.

PS:  these 'similar effects' refer to the general Internet, not Kitz.  I don't recall any specific effects on kitz's pages.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 12:18:38 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 01:07:59 AM »

Been looking at things for about the past hour or so,  but cant find anything coming from this site that would trigger it.
There is lots of stuff on the net for others seeing similar types of popups and indicating its usually introduced with a rogue app, but I dont know why it should only be happening when you visit here. 

the domain where its originating from (s1lxdc4pey.pw) is also highly suspicious as the TLD pw is often used for malware and spam.  domaintools shows whoever it belongs to appears to have covered their tracks. -link.
There's an example of another .pw popup scam here.

Have you tried clearing your cache to make sure its not anything in temp files.
Malwarebytes have an app for mobile devices which I think is free, and may be worth giving it a shot https://www.malwarebytes.com/mobile/

PS
I also put a block in place with adsense on that domain just to ensure its not coming via google ads.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:22:22 AM by kitz »
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 01:17:21 AM »

If its possible on a mobile browser, I expect it be very difficult if it is due to the small screen, try loading the site in developer mode which may give some more insight into whats going on.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 01:56:32 AM »

I have to chip in here and say I've had this 2 or 3 times on here using my mobile. Samsung S5 using chrome browser. I remember about a month ago it happened and I reloaded the page over and over to see if it would happen again and it popped up every 5th reload of the page.
I was pretty sure at the time it came from the main banner at the top, though may be wrong there. The banner had a pattern when reloaded like Sky, Talktalk, BT Sport, EE, then the next ad was blank and chrome mobile would open a new tab/popup and the phone would continually vibrate till I closed the tab.

Clearing the cache stopped it happening, making me think at the time that the 5th banner was a targeted ad and something in my cache was triggering it.
I visit here on my phone at some point everyday and it's only happened a few times. It happened a few days ago with that exact ad that skyeci screenshot.
It wasn't (and isn't) a huge deal to me so didn't want to create a thread about it incase it looked like I was having a moan. Thought I would chip in with my experience seeing as someone else brought it up.

I have adblock running on my PC but exclude this site, as I do with a few smaller sites who's ads aren't intrusive. I don't want to deny much needed revenue. I've never had a popup on my PC from here, only my mobile.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:58:51 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 07:03:00 AM »

Many thanks for the replies. It seems it has managed to get past avg and malware bytes. I have had these running since owing the phone and both report no threats or issues.

I have tried it again and it still happens. I note its on the 5th click of a post. The only way I have found to stop it is to install ad bloc for samsung browser. This has now stopped it...

very strange as only started a few days ago..

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 10:43:37 AM »

@John - Thanks for the info.  The 5th rotation means that it is google ads.
I sat last night for another hour or so, but I cannot re-create this here using Desktop, Galaxy tab S2, a galaxy s4 or an S5 Neo.

Obviously I want to try and get to the bottom of this .

Rotation should be
1) Google
2) Sky
3) TalkTalk
4) BT
5) EE

@skyeci.   Can you do me a favour please.   

• Can you tell me what browser you are using
  • Have you cleared your cache
  • Do you have a google account and profile and are you logged in
  • What settings is your browser using for ad prefs?

As regards to the last item.  This is something controlled on the local machine and set by you for the browser.  Unless you are logged in to a google account, settings I believe are kept in a cookie.   Its not anything I have control over and everyone should set their own prefs for each browser they use.

Information about this is Ad prefs. From there you should get a link to change your browser ad prefs.  eg my link (on a desktop) goes here.

I enclose below a screen cap of my settings.
- Interest based settings - OFF
- Control signed out ads -
    Ads based on interests beyond google - OFF
    Google search ads based on interests - OFF
    From memory it sometimes also asks me about YouTube Ad prefs.

@skyeci again

• If possible, can you tell me -or even better screen cap - what the 5th image is that shows in the header (example for me below which is a different BT ad, but seems to change to things like VOiP, Logitech etc)
  • Can you screen cap again the popup image again as I want to see if it is still being served from the same url -  Im suspicious with it being a string and wonder if it changes.

I have a block on that url and Im also quite strict on any ads that I serve via google and I try to keep ads to a minimum.  All 'sensitive' categories should be blocked.  Personalised ads are blocked (Personalised ads – show ads based on users’ interests, demographics and Google Account information, and allow Google to collect visitation information from my site to create interest categories). VPAID ads are blocked.

Ive also put a manual block on that url, so I cant understand how this is happening :(
-----
Pages: [1] 2

anything