Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Second Stage Login Failure - Pi (Raspbian 8 jessie)  (Read 2634 times)

JamesK

• Reg Member
Second Stage Login Failure - Pi (Raspbian 8 jessie)
« on: October 04, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »

Hi All,

I've just upgraded my Pi from Raspbian 7 (wheezy) to 8 (jessie). I'd previously been running DSLstats uploading to MyDSLWebStats without a problem. I'd been running the pre-release version 5.8.4 and 5.8.5 without any problems at all.

However, after re-installing DSLstats I'm getting an error logging into the HG612 regarding the second stage login failure. I've tried logging into the HG612 manually and it's completely fine.

The output in the event log is as follows:
04 Oct 2016 12:11:38 Recording started
04 Oct 2016 12:11:41 *** Second stage login failure. Did you enable the option "Requires command to enter shell" by mistake?
04 Oct 2016 12:11:41 Second stage login failed.

I've double-checked that the HG612 is selected from the drop-down box, and I know that the "Requires command to enter shell" box is checked for this modem. I tried deleting everything and reverting to 5.8.4 and 5.8.0 and it also failed with the same error message.

I noticed when logging into the HG612 manually there was a 3-4 second pause after entering the "sh" command. Not sure if that's normal or causing it to timeout?

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Second Stage Login Failure - Pi (Raspbian 8 jessie)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 03:12:55 PM »

I noticed when logging into the HG612 manually there was a 3-4 second pause after entering the "sh" command. Not sure if that's normal or causing it to timeout?

That's very probably the cause of the problem. It shouldn't happen, and DSLstats expects that part of the login to complete within 2 seconds. If it doesn't complete in that time then it logs the error you reported.

I could increase the timeout to (say) 5 seconds but that would only be hiding the real issue. I suggest that you reboot the HG612, and consider the possibility that it may be developing a fault.
  Eric

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 04:53:36 PM »

Thanks for the information. It'd been so long since I established a manual telnet connection to it, that I wasn't sure if there should be a delay after initiating the sh command.

I'll reboot the HG612 when I'm working at home tomorrow. I think I've had over 200 days uptime on the HG612 so far, so it's done well. It last rebooted when the ECI cabinet firmware updated to 206.

Is there anything on the modem which could develop a fault over time? I've had it since mid-2012.

I recently purchased a VMG8324 to look at replacing the HG612, but it's size is much larger, and with the wall mounting kit supplied it sticks out quite far, which will probably displease my wife!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 05:30:26 PM »

I recently purchased a VMG8324 to look at replacing the HG612, but it's size is much larger

Does it need to be wall mounted?   
Mine sits on the desk and takes up very little room because it stands on its end...  plus its an all in one, so no need for separate modem and router.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 05:57:13 PM »

The internal wiring in my house is a nightmare. I posted here a few years ago about it. I was getting a 10mbps loss by using anything other than the master socket. The master socket is in the kitchen/diner, so while I successfully ran ethernet cabling up to our living room to keep the router in the best location, I really need to keep the modem in the kitchen by the master socket.

The socket itself is close to a bay window, so putting it there or putting it on the dining table isn't really an option. I'll post a photo later, but the HG612 at the moment is situated on the wall in the corner of the room and relatively discreet.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:07:38 PM »

I'll reboot the HG612 when I'm working at home tomorrow. I think I've had over 200 days uptime on the HG612 so far, so it's done well.

It could be that after that long uptime a reboot is all you need.
  Eric

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 08:22:13 PM »

I'll reboot it tomorrow and see what happens. The main reason for getting the 8324 was too see if there was an increase in sync to be gained and possibly a return to fastpath. Although I don't think the cause of my errored seconds is within my house. So will try the 8324 sooner or later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 11:05:19 AM »

I powered the modem off for 30 minutes earlier this morning and that seems to have resolved the issues. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 11:35:42 AM »

Excellent :)
  Eric

anything