Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bad wiring...  (Read 2914 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Bad wiring...
« on: September 30, 2016, 08:15:37 PM »

A neighbour of mine mentioned that her external wiring for the telephone was a bit of a mess with a lot of looped up wires by the side of the house. Now they have FTTC about the same time as I did in 2014 and are with BT. To the best of her knowledge, this wiring hasn't been touched since the house was rebuilt in 1999 so was presumably cobbled up by the builder. They have had engineer visits but these always seem to have been working in the chamber that's just outside the house next to the road.

I really can't believe that a BT engineer would have left it like the photo shows! Of all that wiring the only ones actually in use are the two indicated by the red circle and on the other side of the wall at that point is what 'appears' to be the master socket shown on the right hand side. But it isn't a proper NTE is it? The adjacent desk was too heavy to move and get a better photo. The grey box outside has a rusty screw holding it together and a tie but couldn't easily prise it open for a peek.

I suspect this all need sorting, hopefully FOC, by BT into a decent state - but before I suggest that I'd like some opinions please! I haven't gone into what effect it might be having on the FTTC speeds  :swoon:
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Bad wiring...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:30:49 PM »

Hi tbailey

How many extensions are there

It looks to me as though the line is split in the bt box

I could be wrong though sorry

Many thanks

John

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 08:54:39 PM »

There's not necessarily anything wrong with it.

The internal master socket looks like an NTE5a with an Openreach SSFP.

In the outside photo, of the two circled white cables, one would be going from the incoming underground line to the master socket, and the other should be connected to the front plate of the master socket, taking a telephone extension elsewhere. With the SSFP filtering the extension at the master socket, that arrangement is fine.

But it depends what's in the grey BT66 box. If the white cable on the left is connected to the incoming line inside the grey box, then it would be a problem (a bridged tap). If the socket it goes to is completely dead, then it must have been disconnected and is not a problem.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 10:59:50 PM »

Is that one of the SSFPs that has an RJ45 socket at the top, above the phone socket, as opposed to two sockets side-by-side?

A bit like
    https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html
but that doesn't quite look right some how.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:27:55 PM »

Is that one of the SSFPs that has an RJ45 socket at the top, above the phone socket, as opposed to two sockets side-by-side?

A bit like
    https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html

Yes and yes.

but that doesn't quite look right some how.

It might simply be that the far end of the lower front face-plate has not been fully seated home and from the angle from which the photograph was taken, it appears as a small "step"?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

moloko

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 02:56:55 AM »

To the best of her knowledge, this wiring hasn't been touched since the house was rebuilt in 1999 so was presumably cobbled up by the builder;

There goes at least 25% of your sync speed then.

As to being sorted FOC,that will depend on her CP/SP and the type of task raised .OR will almost certainly apply a Time Related Charge.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »

Because they do appear to have a proper NTE5a master socket, in this case, it should be fairly straightforward to remove the SSFP, and then check that all telephone sockets are dead apart from the test socket.

I can't tell from the photo if the white cable going up to the right-hand side of the grey BT66 box goes into the box, or passes by the grey box without going into it.

You're not supposed to do it yourself, but it wouldn't be particularly difficult to sort it out yourself.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 06:56:40 PM »

I am afraid that the desk must be moved. We need to know what is happening with that SSFP. :)
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

anything