Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: UK ISP Hyperoptic Scraps Static IP for Shared CGNAT Internet Addresses  (Read 1202 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

UK ISP Hyperoptic Scraps Static IP for Shared CGNAT Internet Addresses

Fibre optic ISP Hyperoptic, which is rolling out a 1Gbps Fibre-to-the-Building (FTTP/B) broadband network to 500,000 UK premises in 20 UK cities, has stopped giving customers a Static IP (IPv4) address and instead become one of the first to adopt Internet address sharing (Carrier Grade NAT).

Everybody needs an Internet Protocol (IP) address to go online and your ISP is responsible for assigning one to your connection (it’s the Internet equivalent of a phone number). Most fixed line ISPs tend to use Dynamic IP addresses for domestic connectivity, which usually changes each time your broadband link is disconnected and isn’t shared with other subscribers (i.e. not at the same time you’re using it).

However Hyperoptic has generally tended to offer a Static IP (IPv4) address with new connections, which stays the same no matter what happens to your physical link and this is normally considered to be more of a premium (business) feature. But the ISP’s customer base is growing rapidly and they’ve just begun to inform subscribers of several big changes.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: UK ISP Hyperoptic Scraps Static IP for Shared CGNAT Internet Addresses
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »

I liked the prospect of Hyperoptic, having come out of Be isp. But this sharing ip addresses is a none starter. If they are really struggling for ip addresses then they drop all static ip packages immediately and go to all dynamic. Dynamic these days is sticky dynamic anyways.

The fact they are charging £5 to keep a static ip to me means they still have a good sized reserve. Anything would be better than sharing ip addresses.

I'm actually surprised that ISP's are allowed to do this considering the security implications when it comes to tracing people online.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: UK ISP Hyperoptic Scraps Static IP for Shared CGNAT Internet Addresses
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 01:59:37 PM »

The price is to deter people from signing up for the static IP addresses, rather than because they've an abundance of them, which they don't appear to.

http://bgp.he.net/AS56478#_prefixes