Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ofcom Calls on UK People to Help Map Mobile and WiFi Network Quality  (Read 1319 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Ofcom Calls on UK People to Help Map Mobile and WiFi Network Quality

The telecoms regulator has today launched its first “crowdsourced research project“, which asks owners of Android Smartphones’ to download its new Ofcom Mobile Research app, which will help them to build up a more accurate picture of Mobile and WiFi network performance across the United Kingdom.

The App itself is designed to automatically measure the performance of Mobile and WiFi networks (e.g. app use, voice call reliability, signal strength, location and data speeds); users don’t need to manually run any tests. The highlights of its findings will be displayed on the app’s home screen and, from time-to-time, the user will be asked to briefly rate how well they feel their service is performing.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Ofcom Calls on UK People to Help Map Mobile and WiFi Network Quality
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:48:32 AM »

The App itself is designed to automatically measure the performance of Mobile and WiFi networks (e.g. app use, voice call reliability, signal strength, location and data speeds); users don’t need to manually run any tests. The highlights of its findings will be displayed on the app’s home screen and, from time-to-time, the user will be asked to briefly rate how well they feel their service is performing.

One thing that concerns me about this and something I see no mention of.... is how much data it could use.  We all know that the SamKnows method of measuring static broadband performance consumes quite a bit of bandwidth.   With some mobile packages just having 250 or 500 Mb of data then there could be a risk that some people could go over plan usage and incur charges.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 12:02:32 PM »

That point and the issue of battery drain are dealt with in the FAQ for the app: http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/files/1561278/1611501/OfcomMobileResearchApp_FAQ.pdf
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:08:23 PM »

I installed this app on my phone yesterday, and first impressions are that it does what it says on the tin. It's not draining the battery and it doesn't appear to be using large amounts of data bandwidth. The values which it's measuring are in line with what I expect.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »

Thank you eric :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »

But does it take into account the reception quality of the phone,  as they all vary.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 01:49:02 PM »

I don't see how it could do that, because it's using the phone as its measuring instrument for phone signal strength and quality.
  Eric

anything