Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: vodafone fibre - any good?  (Read 8284 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: vodafone fibre - any good?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »

@kitz  Sometime if ever you have nothing better to do! you might include uno and perhaps others in your isp list.  I would say that uno are very good value if you want excellent support.  The prices on their web site don't include vat.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 12:43:13 PM »

at £30+vat for unlimited 40/10 i think i can safely say they are not anywhere near my radar  :lol:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 01:40:21 PM »

@les70

Uno is one that I had considered adding.  I've just totally re-written the broadband prices section so that hopefully once an ISP is added, its a bit easier for me to maintain individual product prices.   Things have changed a lot in the broadband industry since it was originally written ~10 yrs ago and I wanted to do something that showed proper all in pricing not just the headline figures which aren't necessarily the cheapest.

Right now I'm currently rewriting the rating system which badly needs updating.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 02:26:43 PM »

The ISP pricing stuff must be an absolute pig to put together, your work much appreciated.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 02:32:59 PM »

anyway... can be bring this back on-topic?

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 11:22:18 PM »

I briefly considered Vodafone before I eventually chose to move to Plusnet about 3 months back. They didn't have the current £28 pm with no line rental offer back then (for 76/20 fibre), but I could get £5 off as an existing Vodafone customer (which worked out to pretty much the same - £10 for broadband + £18-ish line rental).

But after having spent a bit of time on their forums, I decided against it. Back then, they absolutely did NOT allow customers to use their own equipment. Their own supplied all-in-one router had all kinds of limitations and a ton of issues. Things are a lot better now with recent firmware releases and most importantly, they are now allowing customers to use their own routers. They also don't appear to have any sort of traffic management/prioritisation on their network, which is good news. No option of a static IP, sadly.

If I was switching today, I would seriously consider them. But be warned, their billing system is a complete car crash. We switched our mobile numbers to them back in March, primarily because they have the strongest 4G signal where we live (and also because I was really annoyed with Three for killing off the legacy One Plan). Every month it was a random figure on the bill. It took numerous frustrated calls and chat sessions before they finally sorted it out.

Customer service is better, they are much more responsive and appear to be actively trying to revamp their image and look after their customers. Their forum is a bit of a dog's dinner though - they have a single section for all "pay monthly products" that include mobile contracts and broadband, and their first level (helpdesk) is a bit useless (but pleasant to deal with).

I don't regret moving to Plusnet though. Barring one major outage (caused by a power failure at Telehouse North), the service has been rock solid. I'm still on their "old" network and haven't suffered any of the packet loss issues that some people on their new network are struggling with. Plus I get a static IP (one-off £5 fee) and customer service is friendly and responsive. HTH.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 12:38:59 PM »

i can live without the static IP to be honest.
with regards to plusnets customer service, have you currently had to use it? as i'm not sure anyone could class it as "responsive".

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 05:57:06 PM »

I wanted to know which DLM line profile they use.

Standard.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 12:06:21 AM »

i can live without the static IP to be honest.
with regards to plusnets customer service, have you currently had to use it? as i'm not sure anyone could class it as "responsive".

I've used it a bunch of times but having said that, I've not had any serious faults.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 05:46:27 PM »

from another thread

>> Plusnet charge £30 if you move to an LLU supplier

Yep, so migrating from Plusnet to Vodafone will incur an £79 fee that has to be paid.  Dear do for migration :(

is this actually the case?
if it is then it sounds like plusnet holding the customer to ransom.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »

Yep. ^
-----

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 09:28:10 PM »

well they can try and charge it.
i won't pay it though.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything