Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: vodafone fibre - any good?  (Read 8288 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
vodafone fibre - any good?
« on: September 25, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »

thinking of jumping from the sinking ship that is plusnet, and moving to vodafone.
currently got ADSL from plusnet, but would move to 80/20 FTTC.
the street cab is about 30 feet way, and the pole is in my back garden, so should get pretty close to 80Mbps.

are there any vodafone fibre customers here?
how are they as an ISP? any horror stories? any good stories?

do they throttle?
do they block certain sites like BT and Sky do?

what's their router like? i currently use a billion 8800NL. have it configured with various ports forwarded and DDNS configured.
i understand i can't use my own router as it's hit and miss if vodafone will give you the required user/pass or not.
i need to able to set various static internal IPs via DHCP.
i'd also prefer to be able to set it to use google DNS rather than ISP supplied DNS.

i currently have a static IP, but i know vodafone don't offer them to non-business customers.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: vodafone fibre - any good?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:07:35 PM »

What sites do BT & Sky block that other ISPs don't? I'm not aware of either ISP blocking individual sites that all ISPs are court ordered to, e.g piracy sites like thepiratebay

to add, Vodafone will now give any customer their username/password so they can use their own modern.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:55:13 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 09:09:33 PM »

yes BT and Sky block as per court orders, but those court orders only apply to the specific ISPs they are placed against.
for example, piratebay isn't blocked on plusnet, and isn't blocked on many other ISPs.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 11:42:10 PM »

See http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top50.php

Do you ever need any support?

Some good ISPs give you static IP addresses still, and don't block anything at all, not even the unelected IWF list. For example http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-unfiltered.html

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 11:47:39 PM »

Only need support if something good wrong obviously.
But rather than just a list of "top 50" I'm looking for actual real life experience comments from those who are currently using Vodafone

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 12:08:46 AM »

As I understand it, Kitz, our leader, is also considering* moving from Plusnet to Vodafone. So you are not alone.  ;)

* Such a move would only occur after due consideration has been given to how the proposed new service operates.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 12:16:47 AM »

Digging around, you might well find individual user reviews on Vodafone. I note the low score for support on ispreview, but possibly ‘who cares’. Afaik Burakkucat has never needed to trouble his ISP and in the past I never used to contact Demon, ever, before I moved to my current ISP yet now I am needing a lot of handholding because of my personal circumstances. Also BT seem to be going through a bad patch (they, or locals, keep breaking things) compared with previous years, so prompt aggressive support is a must for me. (I noticed them digging outside my house in a former troublespot, which is either a good thing or a bad thing.)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 12:19:47 AM »

If Kitz is thinking about it, then that's a big plus for them obviously. They must be doing something right. But we are all different animals and have different priorities, so it's worth comparing aims too, obviously.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 12:47:23 AM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 10:29:44 AM »

Yep Ive been looking around but not set the ball in motion yet.  If you search on total monthly cost rather than headline grabbing subsidised broadband they come out quite well.

I phoned up vodafone to ask some questions, first line couldnt answer them, but they straight away passed me through to tech support.
They confirmed I could use my own router.  They use their own backhaul (ex C&W LLU).  There is no escaping the £49 set-up fee though even if you dont want their modem and its only migration. They only answer he couldnt find..  and he did try was I wanted to know which DLM line profile they use.  *

Im looking because I need to cut costs and Im not pleased with Plusnet's response times to tickets. 
I have one thats been outstanding now for over a month that has still not been looked at properly.   All Ive had is 'escalating' and then when it was they didnt even bother to read it properly, so now its back waiting another reply.  Queue times are dreadful and the worst its ever been.

I'm also looking at Origin - This search on line only threw up some interesting results.  Pulse8 do line rental for £13 so that's something I've considered.
24/7 support.  No setup costs.  Static IP available.  Part own network which is expanding,  but also white label Plusnet where they dont cover.   Had problems in the past when DR went bang, but that wasnt really their fault.   Aside from that they seem quite good so I may give them a punt.   Dont expect that broadband only deal for fibre max to be up there much longer.  Static IP is £1.49 pm but when I said 'ouch' they said they may be able to do something about that.

The reason Im concerned about that is since my last cross-talker came onboard and we had a lot of thunderstorms, Ive sailed quite close to the wind a few times and if I was on Standard rather than speed it may be difficult if I ever got interleaved.   DLM seems a bit broken right now... and I still have the weird error spike at around 10.30 am each day thats been going on for the best part of a year.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 10:34:55 AM »

i did look at Origin a while back, but i believe they are simply a plusnet reseller, so decided not to look any further into it.

interesting that you got them to say you could use your own router.
read on their forum that getting the required user/pass was troublesome for some.

my billion 8800nl supports both ADSL and FTTC, so if i could keep using that it would be a fairly seamless transition.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 10:42:49 AM »

>>> interesting that you got them to say you could use your own router.

Need to get through to their tech support in Glasgow.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chris T

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 11:32:44 AM »

We have had Vodafone Connect since September of last year, overall the actual service has been great – both phone and internet connection just works. We pay for up to 17Mb (ADSL) but we are getting a constant 20/2Mb connection over a capped VDSL connection that is synced in the router at 40/10Mb (we are about 200 meters from the cabinet. I guess Vodafone have chosen not to use any legacy equipment in the exchanges where fibre is available. I also guess this why they originally stated that only the supplied router can be used but this rule for non-capped tariffs seems to have been relaxed.

The supplied router is mixed bag, the original firmware was terrible with a dogs dinner of an interface that needed both to be logged in to the web interface and mobile app to do anything. However the latest firmware is much better is much better allowing option that you would expect on most routers such as being able to change the DNS servers.   

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »

I'm debating moving from PN too. Do VF offer a static?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 12:28:12 PM »

they only offer it on business packages.
Pages: [1] 2

anything