Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help With Wiring In BT Master Socket  (Read 9162 times)

keyap

Help With Wiring In BT Master Socket
« on: September 25, 2016, 03:38:23 PM »

Hi, hope you guys can help.

I recently moved to a fibre broadband connection and since install / activation have been having loads of problems  :(.

My ISP has tried to resolve and has apparently also had BT investigate but so far they have been unable to isolate the problem.

When the switch over was taking place, an 'engineer' called and fitted a new master socket so I thought I'd have a quick look inside to see if everything appeared OK. I'm no expert, but have done a bit of 'digging' and, from what I can see, I think the wiring may be wrong.

Apologies for the lack of technical terms but hopefully you guys can follow the explanation below:-

The new master socket box is labelled Openreach MK3 and the first thing I did was to undo the two screws on the front panel (there is apparently a MK4 version but the 'engineer' said he didn't like these as there was a lack of room for additional wiring so was using his MK3 stock?). This allowed me to slide off the bottom part of the faceplate (the part which my phone connects into). On the back of this unit there are three terminals marked 2, 3 and 5 with wires connected to them. This wire runs to an extension socket in another room which is used for a phone only.

If I now look at the unit on the wall, I can see the inside of the Openreach MK3 unit and at the bottom right there's a telephone socket and at the top left a connection marked A and B. The A and B terminals have wires going to them which lead outside to a grey box which just has a T on it. This box then connects to my incoming line.

I then slid the Openreach MK3 unit off and on the wall I can now see a unit labelled Openreach with just a phone socket at the bottom right. I've unscrewed this unit from the back box and on its rear there are two more terminals marked A & B. These terminals have wires going to them which lead to another room where my modem / router used to be located. This cable is now redundant as I've now moved my modem / router to the master socket and have the modem connected to the top part of the Openreach MK3 unit.

Like I put above, I'm no expert but, from what I can tell, I think the A & B terminals have been connected incorrectly.

Am I right in thinking that the cable from my outside, T labelled box, should be connected to the A & B terminals on the unit marked Openreach, not the Openreach MK3 unit and that my previously used router extension cable no longer needs to be connected?

Have I got this correct?

Also, if this unit is currently wired wrong can I change the connections? I've read some info stating I can't alter certain things and from what I understand, I shouldn't be touching anything pre the master socket.

Thanks for the help.

* If the above doesn't make sense I can post pictures.

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Help With Wiring In BT Master Socket
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 03:54:29 PM »

So, I assume the line is dead if you remove the MK3 SSFP and try a phone in the test socket? Shouldn't a line test show the problem if it is run while the MK3 SSFP is disconnected?

Perhaps you should get Openreach back to sort it out. This kind of thing makes me wonder if that particular Openreach person has been doing every master socket like that (as in, wrongly).

keyap

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

Yep.... if I unplug the MK3 faceplate and connect a phone to the socket on the faceplate labelled just Openreach, there's no line  >:(

With regard to 'tests' this is the first time the faceplate's been off since install. My ISP have suggested an engineer may re-call but apparently they / BT want to eliminate other potential causes before this happens!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 04:28:48 PM »

Am I right in thinking that the cable from my outside, T labelled box, should be connected to the A & B terminals on the unit marked Openreach, not the Openreach MK3 unit and that my previously used router extension cable no longer needs to be connected?

Have I got this correct?
yes
do you have an idc punch down tool?
I thought the AB terminals on the MK3 were for running DSL from an extension socket
Either way, the engineer has definitely wired it incorrectly
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

keyap

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »

I'll need to google an 'idc punch' to have a look however, when this first happened I asked a couple of neighbours whether they had problems and one mentioned he'd changed some of his cabling using something which I think he called a 'Chrome' tool (may have got that wrong). I can borrow this if needed.

I'm really tempted to switch the wires round but am not sure if it's something I'm allowed to do.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 05:11:52 PM »

This failed "engineer" installation has all the hallmarks of the "work" of an operative from either M J Quinn or Kelly Communications.  >:(

It requires the attendance of an Openreach technician to correct the deficiencies and, importantly, to log the incompetent "work" performed by a sub-contractor.

And I've just noticed . . . Welcome to the Kitz forum, keyap:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

keyap

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 05:24:20 PM »

Thanks all - I'm going to ask for an engineer to re-call.

Is it OK to tell my ISP that I've looked inside the master socket? I'm hoping so but am just a little wary given a few things I've read.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »

The lower front face-plate and the Mk 3 SSFP are your property, so you are entitled to remove both to examine the wiring.

Explain to your ISP that you are concerned because --
  • wires have been inserted into the A&B IDCs on the Mk 3 SSFP.
  • with the lower front face-plate and the Mk 3 SSFP removed, a telephone plugged into the "test" socket of the NTE5 fails to operate.
For completeness, who is your ISP/CP, please?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 05:37:12 PM »

I'll need to google an 'idc punch' to have a look however, when this first happened I asked a couple of neighbours whether they had problems and one mentioned he'd changed some of his cabling using something which I think he called a 'Chrome' tool (may have got that wrong). I can borrow this if needed.

I'm really tempted to switch the wires round but am not sure if it's something I'm allowed to do.

That would be a Krone tool. AKA idc punch down tool.

keyap

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 05:42:16 PM »

Great - thanks guys  ::)

For completeness, who is your ISP/CP, please?

My ISP is the Phone Coop but I'm a little confused as on one call with them they mentioned using another company (I may be remembering this wrong but, if pushed, I think it was Talk Talk?)

What is CP?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 05:54:25 PM »

Great - thanks guys  ::)

My ISP is the Phone Coop but I'm a little confused as on one call with them they mentioned using another company (I may be remembering this wrong but, if pushed, I think it was Talk Talk?)

Hmm . . . TalkTalk.

What is CP?

A Communications Provider.

An ISP (Internet Service Provider) just provides a service to allow you to access the Internet.

A CP will provide a service to allow you to access the Internet and provides a telephony service.

keyap

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 06:44:46 PM »

Got it - our phone is through BT so Coop are just our ISP.

Hmm . . . TalkTalk

:'( I'll not ask you to elaborate however, after doing a bit of googling I'm not feeling confident.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 07:06:10 PM »

If you simply explain to the ISP
  • wires have been inserted into the A&B IDCs on the Mk 3 SSFP.
  • with the lower front face-plate and the Mk 3 SSFP removed, a telephone plugged into the "test" socket of the NTE5 fails to operate.
There should be no issue sending an Openreach engineer to correct the wiring.

keyap

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 08:55:33 PM »

I'm OK giving them a call, and will do so tomorrow - thanks both for the wording as I didn't know what each items was called / the name of the connections.

When I said I was not confident I was simply referring to the possibly of being with Talk Talk given other people's experiences  :no:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 09:27:16 PM »

My personal experience with TalkTalk over a number of years has been excellent. Although I never ever call their overseas call centres and instead use their online community forums.
Pages: [1] 2