Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Getting rid of a bridge tap  (Read 5269 times)

highpriest

• Reg Member
Getting rid of a bridge tap
« on: September 25, 2016, 12:08:45 PM »

I recently requested Plusnet to run a GEA service test on my line. In the report, it said that a bridge tap was detected.

So I went looking for it and found this mess.

That black wire on the left (going up) is an extension going to a bedroom upstairs. The yellow wire is the internal wiring to the master socket.

That extension wiring is unused and I want to get rid of it. So what is the best way to connect the main incoming wire to the internal wiring? Do I have to use a junction box or will gel crimps do the job? I have some good quality 3M gel crimps. Also, this is inside a cupboard, so not exposed to the elements.

Please advise :)
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Getting rid of a bridge tap
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 12:21:08 PM »

Crimps will be fine, however, not sure what type of cable the yellow one is. Doesn't look like telecom cable, are you sure it is twisted pair?

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »

Crimps will be fine, however, not sure what type of cable the yellow one is. Doesn't look like telecom cable, are you sure it is twisted pair?

Honestly, I have no idea. I haven't taken that joint apart yet. Will do so and report back :thumbs:
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 03:26:04 PM »

Ah, much better!

Spot the difference:

Before

current linestatus
state: UP
mode: VDSL2
mod type: Profile 17a
snr margin down: 84
snr margin up: 70
latn down: 143
latn up: 140
satn down: 0
satn up: 0
output power down: 22
output power up: 140
rate down: 79999
rate up: 19999
attainable rate down: 92772000
attainable rate up: 22127000
chantype: fast

After

current linestatus
state: UP
mode: VDSL2
mod type: Profile 17a
snr margin down: 91
snr margin up: 152
latn down: 114
latn up: 107
satn down: 0
satn up: 0
output power down: -27
output power up: 140
rate down: 79999
rate up: 19999
attainable rate down: 94557000
attainable rate up: 25027000
chantype: fast

That's looking much healthier.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »

I would have liked to have had a copy of the Hlog data, both before and after the wiring adjustments, so that the relevant graph could have been plotted for both data sets.

I expect it would have shown a distinct attenuation "notch", before, with it absent, after.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 10:47:42 PM »

perfect line stats before and after it just looks more aesthetically pleasing to ones eye  :)
though I would have screwed a BT80a junction box onto the wall then terminated the pairs the reason being is you can easily probe both the in and out pairs with a multi-meter at a latter date without having to remove and re-crimp the gels.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 11:36:02 PM »

I would have liked to have had a copy of the Hlog data, both before and after the wiring adjustments, so that the relevant graph could have been plotted for both data sets.

I expect it would have shown a distinct attenuation "notch", before, with it absent, after.  :)

Sadly, I'm not collecting detailed stats at the moment.

I have a 8324 all prepped and ready to go; just need to find some time to switch stuff around :)

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 11:42:09 PM »

perfect line stats before and after it just looks more aesthetically pleasing to ones eye  :)
though I would have screwed a BT80a junction box onto the wall then terminated the pairs the reason being is you can easily probe both the in and out pairs with a multi-meter at a latter date without having to remove and re-crimp the gels.

That's a good shout. But I have read of some corrosion issues with those junction boxes. Any truth in that? These gel crimps are fabulous stuff. Cheap, but so easy to use and effective!

One other thing that struck me is just how thin the incoming telecom wire is. Was expecting higher gauge stuff :shrug2:

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 08:45:32 AM »

That's a lot higher gauge than some of the cables on the 'E' side of your cabinet.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 04:43:34 PM »

That's a good shout. But I have read of some corrosion issues with those junction boxes. Any truth in that? These gel crimps are fabulous stuff. Cheap, but so easy to use and effective!

Depending upon what was to hand paw, I might have just used a BT66 to house those gel-crimps . . .

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 11:25:20 PM »

That's a good shout. But I have read of some corrosion issues with those junction boxes. Any truth in that?

The BT80A's primary use is for inside the house if corrosion occurs with this junction box then there is something seriously wrong were it's situated, I have this in the front door porch this used to be my master socket and it's bone dry and terminals are as shiny when it was first purchased two years ago no moisture ingress  :fingers:

As long as the pairs are solid copper and not the aluminum or stranded type it will be good
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:34:48 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 11:37:53 PM »

I remember Ezzer mentioning that sometimes he would find the odd BT80 (that had been installed in a roof-space) with small amounts of corrosion on the screw terminals.

I have one in my roof-space and, just as the one in your porch, it is like new.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 07:28:53 AM »

Crimps any day ..... over metallic connections and soldered tracks.  ;) :) :)

anything