Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: ADSL filters with FTTC  (Read 25782 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: ADSL filters with FTTC
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2016, 10:25:33 PM »

The upstream and downstream noise margins do vary independently, as different things may be happening in the frequency bands used by the two.

dfects

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 12:06:39 AM »

I haven't spoken to BT, nor have I reported a fault. I don't want to unless there is definitely a fault as I don't wish to waste bt or open reach's time unless I know something requires fixing.

Is there a modem that people generally recommend around here? I used a draytek vigor 120 when on ADSL and it was rock solid. Only thing I hated was not being able to see connection details without setting a static ip and connecting directly to the modem. I'm very happy with my asus ac66u at the moment so would ideally keep that for routing duties, but as long as i can dmz that should be okay.

dfects

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 01:52:37 AM »

Actually, I'm taking this way off topic, will post in the hardware forum.

In a rough attempt to bring this back on topic :D Would using my old adslnation XF-1e work, and is it likely to make any difference over the bt supplied one?

My master socket is well, I think its an extension socket? It was already installed when we purchased the new build, and the open reach engineer came around and checked the wiring and also removed the extensions from this after the photo was taken at my request so the only thing connected is this faceplate.

Photo:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 11:50:24 AM by dfects »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2016, 07:55:47 AM »

We seem to be missing the photo.
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2016, 08:59:06 AM »

The old adslnation XF-1e should work OK.   adsl filters are essential the same as those called vdsl or xdsl.

dfects

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2016, 11:53:51 AM »

Thanks :) Have fixed the image link... It was on google photos, I did try it in a browser I wasn't logged into and it worked so who knows! On imgur now.

I don't think its a problem now after doing a bit of research... We have a grey box outside the house directly opposite which I guess contains the NTE hardware so basically all our internal stuff is just extensions. It seems they only fitted these briefly, typical we've ended up with one so now we don't have a test socket at all. The only thing connected to ours now though is this faceplate, as I say the open reach installer disconnected the other extensions (looks like they're connected in series) at the first point.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2016, 01:02:40 PM »

Could you also take a photo of the grey box outside? It could be an external NTE, or it could just be a junction box where lots of wires are (or were) connected.

Anyway, the photo of inside that socket shows one problem - there appears to be some extension wires connected and going somewhere (presumably back outside, so not very far). Possibly acting as a bridged tap. So basically, there's still at least one problem with your wiring. You can see there are two wires connected to each numbered terminal, but there needs to be only one wire on each terminal to fully disconnect the extension wiring. Also the orange bell wire could probably be disconnected. Presumably all you need to do is carefully pull the top wires out of those IDC terminals, assuming those are the extension ones. And disconnect both orange wires.

dfects

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »

As I mentioned, that photo was taken BEFORE the open reach engineer came to our property when the line was activated and I specifically asked him to remove the other extension wires to reduce possible interference, which he did. They go behind the plasterboard and are wired to the other extension panels wired throughout our house. So now, only one set of wires will be connected. I just checked the other phone points in the house, they're as dead as a dead thing  :)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:19:24 PM by dfects »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »

Right, so it is an external NTE, and there's probably no point in disconnecting the bell wire on the inside, if it's still connected, because it tends to not be connected to anything at that end anyway, some microfilters only have two pins present in the plug that goes into the phone socket.

dfects

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2016, 01:39:09 PM »

I know the adsl cable going to my hub at the moment (supplied by bt for the self install) only has 2 pins on it, where the one I was previously using had all 4. Not sure if that's good enough to bypass interference or not. I have no idea if the BT supplied adsl filter only has 2 pins for both, the xf-1e has all 4 though.

Do you know if its technically legal for me to open the grey external nte to check if the bell wires even connected?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2016, 01:40:43 PM »

As far as I'm aware, external NTE's should not be used for DSL connections, they should be bypassed.

dfects

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2016, 02:14:32 PM »

Hmm it was fitted in around 2011, would they have not of thought of that if they were not compatible? I really wish we could of got the speeds for Infinity2 so an actual OR engineer could of done the install for us and hopefully have checked it all over first. Would love to have a standard NTE5. Is there any chance we could get BT to remedy this for us?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2016, 02:30:46 PM »

You'll need an Openreach technician I think. Here's an old thread about it http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=10663.0

dfects

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2016, 02:54:33 PM »

Hmm :( Not sure I feel comfortable doing that myself. Any idea how I'd go about trying to get an OR engineer to sort this for me?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2016, 03:26:34 PM »

I wasn't aware of anything in particular about external NTEs that they must be removed for DSL services. At the time when FTTC was only available with an engineer install, sure, the external NTE would have been bypassed or removed in order to fit an internal NTE5a and filtered faceplate.

The advantage of a modern master socket and centralised filter is mainly so that it can filter off all the extension wiring at one point, so if you don't have any extension wiring, this isn't applicable.

What are your estimates speeds? Is there really anything that needs sorting out?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

anything