Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How quiet should the quiet line test be?  (Read 2756 times)

dfects

How quiet should the quiet line test be?
« on: September 22, 2016, 08:47:53 PM »

Hiya,

Our new FTTC connection was working great for about a week. It went from 36mb to 40mb where it held for a few days but now we're banded to 32.4mb with a noise margin of 9.1 :(

My question relates to the quiet line test... how quiet should it actually be? Should you be able to tell its actually connected or should it be dead silent? I'm using a cheapo £4 argos corded phone and there is no crackles, pops or other noises other than a very quiet monotone hiss with the ear piece close to my ear (best way I can think of describing it).

Thanks

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: How quiet should the quiet line test be?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 09:22:18 PM »

I've never seen banding at 32.4mb. It's usually a round figure, like 32000 or 31999.
What modem are you using and does it show the current sync rate?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 09:26:11 PM »

It should be silent. A hiss indicates a problem

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 09:29:26 PM »

That hiss could just be background noise from the mic on the handset. If the phone has a mute option try that and see if it disappears. But yes for a good pair it should be completely silent.

dfects

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 09:52:37 PM »

I've never seen banding at 32.4mb. It's usually a round figure, like 32000 or 31999.
What modem are you using and does it show the current sync rate?

I got that information from the BT forum where I was linked to this post: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

Its a BT smart hub (home hub 6?).

Code: [Select]
DSL uptime:
1 Days, 5 Hours 15 Minutes 10 Seconds
Data rate:
9.68 kbps / 32.40 kbps
Maximum data rate:
9678 / 39063
Noise margin:
6.1 / 8.8
Line attenuation:
Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI:
0/38
Modulation:
G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type:
Fast Path

It went down from 9.1 to 8.8 this morning without a resync, hoping its DLM lowering the noise margin. I used to have an intel NUC pc and a couple of hdds along with a raspberry pi sat within about 15cm of the hub. Thats with the cordless phone too. I've since removed all of that in the hope it was interference from all that.

I have to admit I've not tried the quiet line test directly in the master socket (we don't have a test socket, new build with external grey box) just through the ADSL filter as I don't wish to kill the DSL for now while hopefully the DLM will lower the noise margin. Does it make a huge difference?

dfects

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »

Oh just to add, the smart hub has a mistake on the tech info page where mbps is listed as kbps for the data rate ???

anything